Attention, STT lurkers!

Travel discussion for St. John
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

Hi Jay,

Happy Hour sounds good. It would be great to meet you, and drink a well-deserved reward for cleaning up the scuba gear! Is the bar at Sapphire open now? Or do you mean a “BYOB” on the beach? BTW, I thought the Sunday Beach Bar in STJ event was on 12/2 (walk of woe day for us).

MelWill,

I hope there was good reason for that revving up! Yes, both islands are different. I’d like to be able to cruise all the coves of the USVI and the BVI. That will have to wait a little or be done little bit by little bit. I’m getting ready for those restaurants you mentioned and afternoons at the beach. Yeah, and a little shopping.

:D

Cat
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Cat,
The bar at the beach at Saphire is supposed to be open. There was a post a while back about a Beach Bar get together on 11/25. There are three other couples from this forum that will be on the same flight as us from Charlotte, NC and I know Nature Girl and her husband are planning on being there on that sunday as well. Here is the thread about November 25,
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... 384c684200
I will give it a bump to see who all is still comming.
Jay

PS If you are interested Nature Girl, her husband, Myself and my wife are going to Jost on the 24th on Lion In Da Sun and have been looking for another couple to go.
naturegirl

Post by naturegirl »

Hey Cat-

It would be great to have you join us. Catch up on some NYC gossip!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Cat - I just wanted to say it's nice to see a STT thread. I love St. John, but it's refreshing to hear more about STT on the forum :)
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

Hi Jay and Naturegirl,

We can come to the get together at the Beach Bar on Sunday the 25th. Thanks for the invite!

:) :D :lol:

(Someone had mentioned this to me earlier, but I thought the party was scheduled for the *following* Sunday.)

I really look forward to meeting all of you guys.

Jay, thanks for the invite to Jost, but I think we're going to be Scuba-ing as much as possible that week.

Cat
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

California Girl wrote:Cat - I just wanted to say it's nice to see a STT thread. I love St. John, but it's refreshing to hear more about STT on the forum :)
Hi California Girl,

Thanks. I hope the STT talk spreads a bit. Just a bit :)

Do you stay on STT when you come over?

Cat
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Our very first trip was a trip my husband earned from where he works. We spent a week at Frenchman's Reef Marriott on STT. Unfortunately, I was sick for a couple of days and other than a day trip to STJ on one of those organized deals, we never really saw any more of STT than Charlottte Amalie. I'd love so much to get back and see the other side of the island and everything in-between.

After our day on STJ, however, I was completely focused on returning to STJ, with a day trip over to STT to see Magen's Bay, etc. But the way it worked out, a trip to STT just never happened. There are some gorgeous villas on STT that I think are worth exploring.
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

Oh, too bad you were sick! I was sick 2 years in a row: Once I had to have root canal next to Mango Tango. My dentist had come in 2nd in that year's chili contest. (Just facts. Don't look for logic.)

Let's hope for robust health and enough wealth to make trips to the islands now and forever.

:D

Cat
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Yes after the first answer I understood the question better. We are trying to get the old forum system working again to make the archives readable - there used to be a lot of stuff about St. Thomas here, but over the years it has sort of become known as more of a St. John forum. We tried to split it up for each island several times in the past and always got too much negative feedback to try it... sometimes I wish I did.

I am thinking of making an off topic forum though...
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
CShell1019

Post by CShell1019 »

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, Anthony, but an "off-topic" forum for STT travelers? Still remember when this forum was just a fledgling, the days when you first started and then we got to "vote" and voice our opinion about the STT/STJ split. Not your fault as you listened to the members!
Times sure have changed as travel changed as the posters changed and STT slowly because an "also mentioned."
Guess I was the one of the ones who didn't want a split because the traveling to either, then, was tied together but as the focus more and more became STJ (and STJ traffic increased dramatically), the STT posters had little to add other than the worn "there's more to see on STT than the road from the airport to the ferry," We had the first "reunions" but if I remember it was a core of AOL posters - on island and off (NYC and Spring Lake <G>) and at least one still exists.

It's great that you've become the "go to" spot for STJ and I do check now and again just to see what's happening (obviously) and as I said then, those posts you aren't interested in, you can just jump on past. The villas information is really invaluable for those looking for that - surprise! a villa is not the end all be all for everyone - but I have to admit that my favorite snorkel spot, found years ago, is often still unmentioned and hopefully it will stay that way because maybe a spot or two on St. John will remain as it was meant to be! (Who woulda thought that an island that opened and closed a Wendy's and Coral Bay felt like the other end of the world would become what it has!)

I'd rather hold on to the memories of the way it used to be on STT and STJ rather than confront the "progess" and changes. They are both special places and I still do thoroughly enjoy returning to my then "second home" - even on some cruise ship days with the crowds in CA and the taxi drivers continuously asking me to go back to the ship now! Must look more like a tourist now since my visits are less frequent and they used to ignore me!
My most frequent memory this time of year as Christmas decoratings starts is each December coming into Cruz Bay with a few Christmas lights gretting me on one house up on the left - now I suspect one might be blinded by the lights! And way back then, you didn't go to STJ without candles and flashlights because electricty was unreliable and when you looked over at nite, the lights on darkened STJ were just a now and again twinkle.
You've come a long way, baby, is an oft used phrase. I'm not so sure that long way is a good way for STJ and hopefully Ronnie and the others will be able to make signifigant changes (without the turtle races since pools aren't emptied to clean every week now!)
But, Anothony, this board and site has come a long way - congrats!
Chet

Post by Chet »

STT was the destination for our first trip to USVI. We rented a Hull Bay villa that was off the high road, down a short paved road to a gravel road to a dirt road to a wide grassy path through the trees. Wonderful place that has a large pool with a rock waterfall. North side beaches were beautiful. While snorkeling back from the east side of Magens I spied BOOTY!...a $20 bill wafting on the sand 20' below.

The woman who greeted us at the airport and delivered us to the villa loaned me her 7' pintail board. It took me 2 days to locate the trail to Carert Bay. Then I spent 2 days on OH waves in a picture perfect reef break, ripping front or backside.

We shared dinners at Bluebeards and Frenchtown, and did the obligatory shopping in CA. 2 or 3 streets off the harbor we found a music store and were turned on to Zouk...Kassav' Dife album is playing on my iTunes as I type.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Cshell-
Anthony meant a seperate forum for OT subjects- not STT specifically.
I remember the subject of creating seperate forums came up on the old forum: one for STJ, one for STT, one for STX and one for OT subjects.
IMHO- there is so much of a community vibe here that creating seperate forums might breakdown some of that vibe. I vote "no".
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

CShell1019 wrote:Maybe I'm reading you wrong, Anthony, but an "off-topic" forum for STT travelers?
No! :) Sorry, you did get that wrong. I meant an "Off Topic" page for things... off topic! It may be time for it - I think as long as you start here:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/

Having:

1. The Travel Forum
2. The News & Relocation forum (which no one uses!)
3. Off topic forum

Wouldn't be that big a deal, as you are able to see from that page new posts, etc.

Anyway - we are not doing this today!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Chet wrote:While snorkeling back from the east side of Magens I spied BOOTY!...a $20 bill wafting on the sand 20' below.
Too funny - I found $42 this summer while snorkeling Magens!
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

All told, I've found $3, a dive knife and a lighter with a US Marines insignia.

(I think it was at Grand Cayman that someone found 2 Rolex watches.)

Cat