La Tapa

Travel discussion for St. John
naturegirl

La Tapa

Post by naturegirl »

Where would you sit in La Tapa if you had your choice. Inside or out on the patio?
Chet

Post by Chet »

The patio crowd can get rowdy at happy hour... like mooning patrons at Woodys. 8)
naturegirl

Post by naturegirl »

We have reservations on Monday for 8 O'clock. I think they have Jazz at night. Is it preferable just to sit at the bar and have tapas or at a table outside and have dinner?
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Without a doubt the bar, imo. I have had some of my most memorable moments at that bar listening to Eddie Bruce play. Year after year we are drawn back, good food, wine and people.
naturegirl

Post by naturegirl »

Reb, Do you need reservations at the bar?
RickG

Post by RickG »

I'm a fan of sitting inside. On Thursday, our 6 had the table under the air conditioner against the wall to the right of the bar. It was a delightful dinner. The Hannah Sauvignon Blanc is a particularly good deal there. Pat and Janet loved their paella.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Inside for more intimate and more converstation. Outside if you are in the mood to people watch and be totally distracted by everything going by.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

we actually love eating outside there, and watching st. john go by.
naturegirl

Post by naturegirl »

THanks for your thoughts. I guess we will just start at the bar and see how the evening progresses.
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

As of this summer, didn't need reservations for the bar. Not sure if they even take them?
All based on what you prefer. We go when there is live music and prefer seating inside(bar or table) vs outside. If you've never been, take a walk by and see what you think. The tables are very close to the road and foot traffic. Either way, one of our favorites year after year.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

There was jazz on Monday, do they have live music other nights?
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

I think it was Wednesdays, Eddie would play with a female singer, Adrianna maybe? don't think they do anymore. Not sure about another nights.
4 years ago next week and we were married there, the week of the big rain! All this talk has me thinking about our next trip!
naturegirl

Post by naturegirl »

Belated congratulations on your wedding Reb!

MB, I don't know for sure but I read somewhere they have Spanish merengue and salsa music on Wednesdays.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh cool. will check it out.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I vote for inside. On one of the nights we were there this past trip, some jerk up at the Quiet Mon dumped a drink over the railing all over a party of four seated outside at La Tapa. It was especially charming that most of the drink ended up on the two-year old. :x
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.