Villa Info - Maison Miele

Travel discussion for St. John
Captain Scott

Villa Info - Maison Miele

Post by Captain Scott »

Getting ready to book the next trip, unfortunately far into the future. We're thinking about Maison Miele, looks like a great location but it doesn't have a/c and it doesn't appear to have anywhere to sit in the shade on the ocean side of the house.

Has anyone stayed here or have any info?

Our other considerations are Balance and Latitude.

Appreciate any info you may have on these villas.
"If your attitude is appaling there is a latitude calling"
susan & herb

Maison Miele

Post by susan & herb »

We were also interested in this villa 3 years ago. We decided not to basically because of the a/c and also that it was very "far out" and at the time, we were not really familiar with Coral Bay and the "far out" areas.
Last year we spent a lot of time in Coral Bay and drove around looking at potential villas. We came across Maison Miele which is really "away from everything". The house was gated, so I really couldn't get too good a look at the areas. What I did notice from the pictures, not sure if it's still the same furniture, but the living area looked like it had very uncomfortable seating which was a turn off for me.
Hope this helps
StJohnCaptain

Looks good to me

Post by StJohnCaptain »

I picked up the Maison Miele brochure a few days ago in Coral Bay at the little mail center.

Yes, it's a bit of a trek, but a short drive into Coral Bay for some good restaurants. Incidentally, Coral Bay is probably closer to the national park beaches than is chocolate hole or fish bay or other places on the south shore. For example, I get to Maho or Francis from my house in Upper Carolina in less than 10 minutes.

There is a website. http://www.maisonmiele.com
Greetings from 600 ft. above Coral Bay Harbor -- Captain G.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I just checked out the link - WOW, I love the water views from the bedroom. I hope someone reports on the house.

Capt - I am encouraged by your comments relating to the access to the beaches. We stayed in Chocolate Hole in February and are looking more towards Coral Bay for the next, next trip.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I've been reluctant to answer since I don't have much to say, but....we rented that villa a few years ago. It was for the first week of 3 weeks that we were planning to spend in the islands.

Literally hours before we were to leave, our daughter got really sick. Too late to cancel anything. I sent my husband down ahead of me, with the hope that I would be down in a few days. Well, by the time I got there, that villa rental was over so I never got to stay there, but I did pop over and walk around it. I remember thinking that it wasn't what I had pictured. It's a nice house and all, I don't want to put it down, but there was something bleak about the atmosphere there.

It is definitely right on the water and it is pitch black at night. The constant sound of the surf bothered my husband; I think I would have liked it but he said it was especially loud.

The house itself seemed a bit cold/sterile to him and he said the furniture wasn't that comfortable. (He is not hard to please, by the way. He said the house was fine for the week but he wouldn't rent it again.)

As for shade, he has no memory of that.
Captain Scott

Post by Captain Scott »

Marryanne:

Thanks for the feedback on the house. I think the surf noise would be perfect for us but I have some other concerns about the house. We're going to keep looking for now.

Scott
patr

Post by patr »

CS,

I inquired about that villa last spring. I was only interested in renting the guest house, since it would only be two of us. They would not rent the guest house only.

I would not consider renting the big house due to the lack of AC. I know many islanders and the rental companies always say that you don't need air. But gosh darn, we're from the Midwest and we think it's hot on St John, (especially early in the trip) and I don't want to be hot while on vaca. After we've been acclimated a few days, the heat seems to be more bearable, but still I want AC!!!
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
sueoz

We loved it!

Post by sueoz »

Hi - my husband and I and one other couple rented this villa a couple of years ago. We loved it so much that we're going again in March. We were concerned about the lack of A/C also but the rep at Viva Vacations talked us into it. They said that there were always so many breezes here that it didn't matter. And they were right. I like my A/C and had no problem without it. That was in March. The villa itself is very private, has wonderful views from both bedrooms and the living area. The pool was fantastic every day at 3 after being on the beaches all day snorkeling. Had plenty of amenities - grill, laundry, etc.

We loved being on the water, hearing the surf, having the privacy and enjoying the beautiful landscaping. Just down the street from Lucy's and a few other good restaurants. BUT - we love Coral Bay. Anyone who would feel isolated would not enjoy it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sue
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Sue, I love the look and location of this house, and it's been on the short list ever since we drove by it on our first trip. I can't tell from the pictures though....are the windows screened? Thanks.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Captain Scott

Post by Captain Scott »

Laimsaunt:

When I spoke with the house manager she did say the windows are screened.

Scott
sueoz

Post by sueoz »

Yes - they were all screened.
sue

by the way - we only rented the main house. When you do this they do not rent the small one at the same time. We were able to look in through the windows and it looked really nice, too, if there was a third couple. That, I believe, did have A/C.
Malcolm

Maison Miele

Post by Malcolm »

We stayed in Maison Miele in early June. The weather was hot, but the house was comfortable; at least the 4 of us (two couples) felt that way after a half day or so (note: we live where A/C is a summer necessity). There always is a breeze (the house is on a point), and the white roof reflects much of the incoming solar radiation. There are ceiling fans in the bedrooms and screens on all the windows. If you get warm during the day, jump in the very nice (and cool) pool. Or, have a cold beverage. But why would you be at the house during the heat of the day when you should be enjoying the great snorkeling or hikes nearby?

Yes, there is steady surf noise, but that is part of the charm of being on an island, no? We had no problem with any of the furnishings. The main house is well designed and outfitted, but from what I know, it does have a different feel than other homes for rent on St. John. The home was built for a woman with severe environmental allergies, so it may seem more “cold” or minimalistic than what you probably are used to. We liked the feel of the interior however---very airy, and the amazing views take center stage at all times. One thing we noted about the house is that it seemed very well constructed and with good materials.

A few of you noted the location, which is about as far away from Cruz Bay as you can get. That’s what we wanted, and we loved the relative quiet and isolation. But the bars and several restaurants within a couple of miles are surprisingly good and offer a social atmosphere if you want it. There also are a couple of markets within a few miles for provisions. Overall, the location felt secluded, but it was in easy reach of amenities.

We have already booked a week there for next year. While there are certainly other options for rental homes on the island that are probably as good, we can’t wait to stay there again. And St. John was a very pleasant surprise for us. We liked it better than St. Thomas, the BVI, Grand Caymon, Bermuda, and Belize.
RickG

Post by RickG »

This villa has always fascinated me. Thanks for the info. It sounds like a worthy spot.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI