STX at Christmas

Travel discussion for St. John
Suziekue

STX at Christmas

Post by Suziekue »

:D We are going to be heading to St. Croix for two weeks leaving the day after Christmas. I know that most of the posts here are about St. John as I looked to all of you for advice when I was traveling there too but thought you might have some good info on STX too.

We are staying at Villa Madeleine and have a car reserved through Centerline. Plan to play some golf so if anyone had any advice about where to play or not to play, what greens fees are that would be helpful. I also need some information on cell phone use, I have Verizon and have been told I will be charged .69 a minute in roaming charges! Ouch for two weeks that could hurt. Any suggestions or information you could give me would be appreciated.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

jdbcypresstx

Post by jdbcypresstx »

We stayed at The Buccaneer three or four years ago and played some golf. The green fees were not too high but it was offseason. The golf course was pretty short <6,000 yards but it was fun. A couple of holes right by the Caribbean and some elevation changes. You can check it out at http://www.thebuccaneer.com/golf.htm. There is another course on the other side of the island at another resort that appeared to have more trees around it (not as open as The Buccaneer) but we didn't get to play there.
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

We were at Villa Madeleine in April. This was our first trip to STX. We stayed in Unit #1 which is on the very top of the enclave and has the Buck Island view out over the Reef golf course. Some of the units have southern views out over the Divi Carina Resort and Cotton Valley Shores. I have a map of how the units lay out – can’t remember where I found that online but if you give me the unit number I can tell you where you will be located – or PM me with your e-mail and I will send you a scan of the diagram.

The absolute best deli (formerly called Just-In-Case Deli - I think it's called Lori's now) is at the foot of the entrance road to VM - it has wonderful food. We rented VM through Vacation St. Croix and we also rented our car through Centerline - both were a joy to work with. Since this was our first trip to STX and we would be arriving late we provisioned a bit through Bubble Makers and were glad we did as it is a pretty good trek out to the east end from the airport and there is really no place to shop out that way; however, there is a Plaza Extra, a Cost-U-Less, and a K-Mart very close to each other around Sunny Isle Shopping Center. Schooner Bay Market also has a pretty good selection - I had read some bad things about them before we left but was pleasantly surprised. Lori's has basics and a pretty decent selection of wine and liquor but I think they close up around 7 pm. However, their daily hot meals and pizza are fabulous and each meal is enough for at least 2.

VM is right across the road from the Reef Bay Beach which is adjacent to Duggan’s Reef Restaurant. If you will be there over a Sunday, I recommend the brunch at the Cultured Pelican. Great food and view and you can’t beat the Sunday Special of $2.00 for a Mimosa or Rum Punch. It's close enough to VM for a few of those not to be a problem - lol. I’d be happy to answer any specific questions about VM or STX that I can – just post or PM me. Can’t comment much on the golf – we don’t play – can only say that I think the Reef might be a par 3 and it looked pretty dry. The Buccaneer grounds and greens appeared beautifully maintained.

We really enjoyed STX – we are just starting to plan a return trip for next spring. Will most likely stay at a villa near the Divi in Cotton Valley Shores.

- Margy