STJ is great but Censorship is not

Travel discussion for St. John
Marianne

Post by Marianne »

Bert, like you I followed the thread about Jamie’s murder on the other board. Reading his family’s pleas for help just broke my heart. I think the only thing that matters concerning this subject is the fact that a woman’s child was brutally murdered on June 19 and no one has answered any of her or her husband’s calls, letters or emails concerning the progress of the investigation since June 20. Jamie’s mother had said that she never would have believed that she could feel so alone when it came to the police or government officials in a US territory. That is totally unacceptable.

I’m sure this is not a popular opinion, but I could care less whether or not people feel the subject is unacceptable for a “travel forum”. Obviously the family felt they had no where else to turn. I do not know the family, but I think if they were politically connected, they would have had more options.

On Sunday night, I e-mailed Greta Van Susteran from Fox News and told her the story. I included links to the Trip Advisor forum thread (which included the family’s phone number) and the St John Tradewinds article on the murder. She replied and told me that she would be happy to try and help. Within 48 hours, Jamie’s parents and their lawyer were on national television telling their story. Greta had contacted the governor for a statement and at the very least; she shined a light on this story. No matter what your personal politics or opinion of Fox news, Greta deserves huge kudos for responding so quickly and doing her part to help this family seek justice for their son.

Sure, crime happens everywhere. But St John can not remain the beautiful and safe island we love unless these criminals know that they will not, under any circumstances, get away with these despicable acts. And if sometimes a thread on a “travel forum” is the only way to get a story out there or to get people motivated, so be it.
mia

Post by mia »

John Gibson's The Big Story on Fox News also covered Jamie's murder today. Kudos to you Maianne...you did exactly what I only thought about doing...mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
mark_7

Post by mark_7 »

Kudos to you Marianne! I appreciate your active efforts to shed light on this tragedy.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Thank you Marianne. Good for you. Just a sad story. It broke my heart too. The family was in such pain and I'm so disappointed in trip advisor that they deleted her story on their forum. You did the right thing.
Genral

Post by Genral »

Good for you, Marianne! Too many nasty things have happened in this world because good people were afraid to illuminate the darkness with the light of truth. Perhaps now, with National exposure, and the VI Tourism Dept shaking in their boots, the VI Government will start to demand more from their Law Enforcement people.
No matter where you go, there you are.
JT

Post by JT »

As to the VI police getting better, I wouldn't hold my breath. Last year, until mid 2006, the Coral Bay sub station actually had a couple of cops that were well liked, got to know the community, and were gaining knowledge of the trouble makers. So what happened, you might ask? They got transferred off island, of course.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

Unfortunately, crime is a travel related subject. Of course, it is up to each forum to manage their site the way they want and by their own rules. My condolences to the family who lost their loved one. I hope they receive more respect from certain authorities than they have been receiving. One a separate note (not to diminish this horrible crime that took place) I will say that the police department did help me out in the past. My wallet (with travelers checks, cash and credit cards) went missing when I was stupid enough to leave it somewhere on the island. A taxi driver was good enough to pick me up and drive me to the police station without charge (since I had no cah on me). I went up to the police station, described my wallet and then he handed to me. Someone had already taken to the station. But, that's just my one experience.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Marianne, I'd emailed Fox News on Wednesday the 25th of July but never heard anything back. I'm glad that you got a response and that there is coverage of the story now.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be any changes in the justice system in the USVI unless tourists and outsiders make noise about it.

My heart breaks for the family involved.
Marianne

Post by Marianne »

Thank you, Teresa! I’m sure your e-mail to Fox was every bit as effective as mine in giving Jamie’s family a voice.

I agree with you 100%. If we don’t stand up for what’s right with something as important as this, then things are never going to change – and unfortunately, they could even get worse.
captainvic

STJ is great but censorship is not

Post by captainvic »

Marianne,

I first posted a reference to this crime on June 25. Frankly, I was stunned by the lack of...outrage, I guess. There were lots of expressions of concern and condolence, and cautions not to leap to conclusions. (Conclusions? we *know* what the conclusion was!)

Admittedly, this hit home. I'm the mother of two 21-year-old young men, and I've been looking for a home on St.John.

I love the island, and do not want to see law abiding people suffer. But I'm afraid that money talks loudest, and the possibility of the island's getting a negative reputation, and the consequent loss of tourist $$, may be the only way to get some competence in law enforcement.

Finally this case is getting attention. Thanks for your involvement.

Captain Vic
bert

Post by bert »

Sadly, Captain Vic is correct. I too love the island but I also feel that getting some justice and security may require some sacrifice by way of tourist dollars. Thanks to everybody who has responded. This story and the underlying story of apathy and ineptitude in the VI is getting a lot of attention from the national media, and that can only help us at this point.

S. John is the most beautiful place in the world; on that we all agree. With that in mind let us keep trying to make it a better place.

peace.... bert
kirk

Post by kirk »

Looks like CNN's 360 will be covering this story Monday night.
Eric on St John

Arrest made last night at 9:30 pm n/m

Post by Eric on St John »

Arrest made last night at 9:30 pm
Eric on St John
kirk

Re: Arrest made last night at 9:30 pm n/m

Post by kirk »

Eric on St John wrote:Arrest made last night at 9:30 pm
Details????
bert

Post by bert »

There is indeed such a report going around, that a young punk was arrested last night in Pastory. IF this proves to be true (as the Daily News is reporting), keep your eyes on the news. In other such cases the perpetrators have fled the island and / or had a ridiculously low bail amount set by Judge Holler. Also, if true, it is only one out of three who were involved. Please keep the pressure on the VI officials through the media, to make sure that justice is done in this case and that the deeper issues are addressed now that they have been exposed.

Hope this is all being wrapped up.

peace.... bert