Some ?'s for the experts. 1st trip in along time

Travel discussion for St. John
melmd

Some ?'s for the experts. 1st trip in along time

Post by melmd »

First I want to say this forum is great! I have gained some serious knowledge about packing, where to eat, etc. from the trip reports.

We where in S. John for out honeymmon 5 years ago and we are coming back for our 5 year anniversary ( w/ a toddler, grandparents and bother in law).

We are a group of 6 staying Coral Bay. We are renting Coral Rays and was wondering if anyone has experince with that villa?

How bad is the drive from Coral Bay to Cruz Bay. I think we will want to eat dinner several times in Cruz Bay and I am concerned about the road at night. The day time drive is no problem.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's stayed on the Coral Bay side.

Thanks!
mel
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Just take your time and have a DD you won't have any problems
Ken

Post by Ken »

I can't answer about the villa, but the drive is no big deal. We always took the north shore road - day or night - and enjoyed the views to and from. Takes about 5 minutes longer, but you are on vacation and the views are worth it. Take your time and enjoy it. We were back and forth probably 4 or 5 nights during our first stay.

I wouldn't drink alot at dinner, though!

Ken
toni

Post by toni »

Congratulations on spending your anniversary on St. John! And did you really mean "bother in law"? :lol:
The times we've stayed on the Coral Bay side we always had the intent of driving to Cruz Bay more than we ended up doing. We'd go there for lunch perhaps, but usually ended up staying on the Coral Bay side at night; primarily not wanting to drive over in the dark, or because we'd be tired and just wanting to veg out at the villa. Since there's grocery stores and places to eat on the Coral Bay side it wasn't too inconvenient. Good luck in whatever you plan and just watch out for goats :D
JT

Post by JT »

We always stay on the Coral Bay Side. I never think much about the drive one way, or the other, even at night, though we rarely leave Coral Bay. It really isn't a difficult drive. Just keep left! The worst part of the drive is getting in and out of Cruz Bay.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I have looked longingly at Coral Rays for a while now! Lucky you to be staying there. I hope you will do a review of the villa when you return.

As for the drive out there, we have not stayed in Coral Bay but have done that drive pretty late at night in reverse ... from Miss Lucy's after the full moon party back to Chocolate Hole. Just make sure your driver is sober and you'll be fine. It was actually quite a nice ride home, sort of like a roller coaster ride for those of us who had imbibed a bit ;)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hi! We stayed in Coral Bay and I did all the driving. Ain't no big ting :D Driving at night isn't difficult, you just have to go slow and take it easy. I'd say it's more of a "watch out for the other guy" situation on some of the curves. We drove to and from Cruz Bay quite a bit and never had any problems - even at night. :)
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Oh Man ! I’m soooo jealous that you’re going to be staying at Coral Rays. We had that villa reserved from almost a year when at the last minuet we had to cancel our trip. Please do a villa/trip report and let us know how it was. It looks like a great villa.

As for the drive – it’s not all that bad going out to Coral Bay. The one thing I do if I come up on a blind curve or a steep hill – is honk my horn to then any on-coming traffic I’m coming.

Have a great trip and enjoy the islands.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
melmd

Post by melmd »

Thanks for the advise. My father is coming and he's already been voted our DD (he just dosen't know yet).

I am sure I'll be posting more questions as our trip grows closer.

You can count on a trip report when we get back, however I am terrible with posting pictures :roll:

Thanks again
mel
LMarie

Post by LMarie »

Hi melmd,

We stayed at Coral Rays in June of 2005. It was a beautiful villa with breathtaking views!

The drive wasn't bad from Cruz Bay. Maybe 25-30 minutes. We did make sure we were back to the villa before it got too dark though. (Just didn't want to take any chances.) We spent time enjoying the pool and the hot tub watching the lights on Tortola instead of staying out late. Just make sure you rent a 4-wheel drive vehicle! The road up the mountain and in front of the villa are pretty steep!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I haven't posted a villa review yet...I should do that.

LMarie