Women - do you bring your engagement ring to STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I never take them off, and so far not even a Barracuda has been interested.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I wear mine, but it is very low key. The diamond is small and the design does not look like a traditional engagement ring. It is not very attention-getting.

As far as the barracuda thing, I just twist my ring around so that the diamond faces in and fold my finger over it while I am snorkeling.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I've always worn mine on vacations. I do the same as liamsaunt and turn it around while snorkeling.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I always wear mine. I leave the engagement ring in the safe at the viall when we go out for the day but I keep my band on sparkles and all.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

I always wear mine (not a very big "bling" ring) anyway, but when we do go snorkeling I leave the ring in the safety deposit box in the room (we usually stay at Caneel and/or the Westin). Never had a problem.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I never took my ring off and I never turned it around. It isn't that big, but it is shiny. I swam with a lot of barracuda and some sharks and I had no problem. (I figured if I lost it maybe I would get a bigger one!) :wink:
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I make sure there is a safe and lock it up during the day and wear it at night, along with my watch and earrings. I don't want to be a human lure. :shock:
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

In the past I've left my engagement ring at home but have worn my wedding band (which has stones in it too). But this year I decided to buy a sterling silver/cubic zirconia set so I didn't have to bring my real stuff along. I wore it the entire time, even while snorkeling, and none of the fish seemed to notice it. I preferred having the fake set instead of just my real band...my hand looks naked to me with just a band.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

I leave mine home, only partly for safety, but mostly because my hands swell so much, I couldn't wear it.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I do as I don't really ever take my rings or watch off (watch is waterproof)even at home. I wear one set of favorite jewelry the entire trip, even in the water.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Ok since I brought up the whole barracuda thing and scared everyone, I did a search and found this article. Very interesting. The chances of being attacked are very slim, but it does say to remove jewelry.

http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch1997/jul14-97.html
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I never wear my ring to the islands. To other destinations yes but not to the islands. I don't like swimming with it as it slips and is also very shiny. Since it is a replacement (wedding ring stolen in home robbery), it doesn't stay home either. It goes in my dad's safe till we get home. I just wear a plain silver band I got in Playa that way I don't have to worry about it at all.
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

I always wear mine (in the shower, at night, on vacation), but it's insured in case anything would happen to it (I concur that all the ladies need to put it on their homeowners insurance). I love to get the ring tan-line! I've also not been attacked by fish :-), although I will turn it around when snorkeling (great idea!)