What the what?

Travel discussion for St. John
awardb

Re: What the what?

Post by awardb »

54b, you may already know this, but as far as beach changes go, there have been some at Honeymoon. Parking at Caneel, if you go that route, is now $20. Was free, then $10, now $20. Of course, if you spend $20 or more there, then it doesn't cost you (sort of). And you may know there is now a concession stand on the beach, which really takes away from the "away from the crowd" aspect of Honeymoon. They rent beach chairs, beach stuff and sell some snacks and drinks. And there seem to be many more daysails from STT offshore with the hordes of snorkelers than I ever remember.

However, it's still a great place to go and spend the entire day. Just not as nice as it used to be.... Sigh.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
54b

Post by 54b »

AwardB, good to know as we've done the Caneel Parking route before to Honeymoon. Even though I wasn't a big fan of the fee, our group didn't mind because it was easy to drop $20 or whatever it was at the time at the bar or gift shop (things we probably would have spent money on at some point that day anyway).

Interestingly, nobody from our group mentioned Honeymoon as a must visit beach on this upcoming trip in June and I'm pretty sure it's because of your last point. Even two years ago, we noticed the daysail armada from STT carrying what was most likely cruise ship excursions. I think I even wrote on this forum, "The Honeymoon is over." It looked like Spring Break Daytona. In fact, we didn't stop at Honeymooon that day and just kept going on over to Salomon, which is still my favorite next to Gibney. Hopefully they don't go putting a snack shack there.

Sigh, indeed.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
RickG

Post by RickG »

A few things that happened in the last couple of years.

Todd from Woody's opened Cruz Bay Landing at the old JJ's site. Boo from Beach Bar works 7am-3pm there.

Dog House Pub opened in the old Castaway's/Crazy Cracker/etc. space.

Cafe Roma is back open after their fire. Morgan's Mango reopened after their fire. The Tap Room is still in their Temp Room while they rebuild from their fire.

La Plancha is gone and Virgin Fire, by the Sun Dog Cafe folks, is open there.

De Coal Pot is offering West Indian food in a tablecloth restaurant near Lime Inn.

Joe's Rum Hut expanded.

Motu became Drink St. John.

The folks from the Beach Bar opened the adjacent Bowery cocktail bar.

Indigo Grill, from the Rhumblines folks, opened in the old Donkey Diner space in Coral Bay.

Dolphin Market took over the grocery store in Cocoloba Plaza in Coral Bay.

The road to Francis Bay was paved.

Mooring fees in the park were increased from $15 to $26 per night.

Maho Bay Campground was closed for your last visit.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of things.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
54b

Post by 54b »

Wow, there are responses and then there are RickG responses. Super thorough.

They paved the street to Francis, huh. I would imagine all the car rental companies went in on that one. Not crazy about more concrete on STJ, but that stretch was brutal on suspensions, I remember that. Probably going to try to pave the stretch out to Lameshur too one of these days.

Thanks again.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

The previous place served great fried chicken. Now I am not a fried chicken expert but it was always pretty good and we were disappointed when the Longboard moved in. We haven't had time to try it yet.
awardb

Post by awardb »

Thumbs up on the Cruz Bay Landing. While we loved (and miss JJ's) we have eaten at CBL several times our last trip, and it was always good with good service. A favorite.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
jmq

Post by jmq »

CBL is great for breakfast, even on Saturday departure day when we and many other folks had their luggage stashed against the wall as we had final meal/drinks before the ferry.

The paving of the road to Francis has had the consequence of enabling MANY more jeeps to park along the road, making the beach much more prone to get overcrowded.

Sundog still great for lunch, and you can't beat $3 you-call-it during happy hour at Joes Rum Hut. North Shore Deli still has their "crack bars" but would have to give the sammiches at Sam & Jacks a very slight preference.

Sad to see the coral in a very distressed state in many places. Hope it's not a canary in the coal mine of the marine environment.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
awardb

Post by awardb »

CBL on departure day is now a last day rite of passage for us. One more great meal, breakfast, before leaving the island we love. I thought things couldn't get better than JJ's, but I think the owners of CBL have really done it up right, for what it is.
AwardB