Any thoughts on Villas, Easy Breezes, Palm Vista, Viaggi?

Travel discussion for St. John
fmzip

Any thoughts on Villas, Easy Breezes, Palm Vista, Viaggi?

Post by fmzip »

Has anyone ever stayed at Palm Vista or Easy Breezes & Viaggi?

Can't seem to find any reviews here on the forum
Last edited by fmzip on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
loria

Re: Any thoughts on these two Villas?

Post by loria »

I have stayed at easy breezes-- it's a very nice place though the layout is a bit weird.
you either have to walk thru the first bedroom to get to the second or you have to go out the slider on to the deck and into the great room that way .

the guy who owns it is sometimes in residence downstairs -- he is really nice and not intrusive at all (he is a wood turner as well-- so has some pretty neat things around
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

If it is Palm Vista on Skytop Rd above Fish Bay, we can kind of give it the 'thumbs up'. We've stayed in the owner's other villa, next door.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Well I guess I'd have to rule out Easy Breezes, we desire privacy.

Anyone stay at Palm Vista? Lots of good reviews on Trip Advisor. Thoughts on Coyoba?
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

loria wrote:I have stayed at easy breezes-- it's a very nice place though the layout is a bit weird.
you either have to walk thru the first bedroom to get to the second or you have to go out the slider on to the deck and into the great room that way .

the guy who owns it is sometimes in residence downstairs -- he is really nice and not intrusive at all (he is a wood turner as well-- so has some pretty neat things around

I inquired about Easy Breezes and was told the caretaker would be gone April 1st.

How were the bugs there? Was it elevated high enough for good breezes? As far as the location, how far is it to Cruz Bay and the north shore beaches?

I was also curious on the access, is it a dirt road?

http://imagesus.homeaway.com/mda01/b98a ... 70939.1.10
AquaGirl

Re: Any thoughts on Villas, Easy Breezes, Palm Vista, Coyoba

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi FMZ,
I haven't stayed in any of these, but I thought I would make a couple of observations. When I read about a villa that I am not familiar with, I like to look at the website and see if I would stay there. Of course, these comments are based upon characteristics that we consider important.

Coyaba is in the part of Chocolate Hole that is very dense with houses. We prefer to stay in areas where the villas are a little more spread out, and not as many in the area, to reduce the possibility of noise. A shaded porch is very important to us for hanging out at the villa. I noticed Coyaba has a trellis (not full shade) and umbrellas (not much shade coverage). I didn't see a picture showing a good view of the porch, so perhaps it has good shade, but its hard to tell. A pro is that its a little bit shorter drive to Cruz Bay.

Palm Villa has a stunning view. I think I would stay there just to have that awesome view. I looked at the satellite view and the houses are not as dense as in Chocolate Hole. It looks like it has a nice shaded porch (depending upon time of day and time of year) with a dining area outside. An outside dining area is a big factor for us. It will be a bit longer drive into Cruz Bay, but the road is good along the way.

Just my 2 cents. Happy planning!
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Good CSI work! Thanks for the input :)
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Just found out Coyoba off season rate is the same as their in season rate. The VRBO site does not reflect this.

Coyoba is off the list......
loria

Post by loria »

there is a good breeze -- it is fairly high up in calabash boom-- the road can be a bit intense --it is paved for part of the way but dirt after that -- but i had no problems with it-- we did not find bugs to be a problem and actually ate outdoors many evenings.
it's in coral bay-- so you aren't next to the north shore beaches... the closest would be francis or Maho and that is probably 15 minutes from the house -- about 7 -8 minutes from the triangle?
it's a cute spot.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Good info Loria.

What time of the year did you stay there? Was it recent?

Thanks for the help :)
loria

Post by loria »

if memory serves it was april 2013 when we stayed there -- the property was very well maintained.

like i said, that drive up calabash boom is not everyone's cup of tea -- and in a big rain can be seriously gnarly. what time of year were you considering?
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

We were thinking of going next year in the first two weeks of May.

Was there construction there during your stay in April of 2013? I say a VRBO post in March of 2013 complaining of construction?

Is this a two lane road we are talking about or is it one of those 1 1/2 lane St John specials?? ;)

It's this road I assume? Can you tell me how far up (at what time mark on this video) do you reach the villa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVTvqUuFu9s
pk14

Post by pk14 »

My wife and I stayed at Easy Breezes for two consecutive years, in 2013 and 2014 both in mid to late April. Our first year we couldn't have asked for a better villa. Fantastic views, up to date kitchen, utensils, etc. For our trip in 2014, we took another couple. As someone mentioned before, the layout with the bedrooms is a bit awkward, as they sit right next to each other. We didn't have any issues, but it was just awkward. I'll also add that when we showed up for last year's trip, there was a house being built directly next to Easy Breezes. We weren't made aware of this ahead of time and were awakened daily with workers cutting tile at 7am.

The property mgmt. folks were kind enough to give us a gift card to Aqua Bistro as a consolation, but the privacy will be forever lost, which is one of the things we loved about the place. The new house sits directly next to the hot tube/pool area. Although there is tall landscaping separating the property, if both properties are occupied, you'd be able to hear conversations next door.

As a result, we booked a different villa four our trip this past March.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

That's a bummer on the villa next door. It's that close, huh? Or is it that sound travels?

Is there still privacy or can you also see one another from property to property?
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

Palm Vista - my wife and I walked around it and looked it over last month. It is everything you see in the VRBO listing. The owner's home is next door (comfortably distant) and has a smaller villa in the lower level. We've rented that smaller villa four times. (http://www.vrbo.com/253498) The owner is a really nice guy, honest, and would certainly answer any question you have. The road is paved all the way, and pretty easy (much easier than that video of Calabash Boom). The view is amazing and the distance to Town and North Shore is not an issue for us. (15 minutes?)