Help, she hates the water!!

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Re: Help, she hates the water!!

Post by PA Girl »

I got a good chuckle out of re-reading that thread.

Majojim - what in the world were those people thinking? And why did they wait until the 11th hour to tell you beaches weren't their thing?
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

PA Girl-
I was initially very excited about the other couple joining us; they are really wonderful people...
But, literally about a week or 2 before we were due to split, they dropped that bomb on us.
I was a nervous wreck, and more than puzzled. VERY sadly, our friendship dissolved.
99.9% of the trip was compromised with the worry of what they weren't going to be happy about next.- Seemed like everything we did was not satisfactory.
In that situation, all I could do was back off, and be as appeasing to them as possible. I tried to make the best of THEIR vacation, and ours just ended up sucking. My Sweet Amy had more than an issue with how it all went down, while I just tried to iron out the wrinkles before they happened. It was not only exhausting, but like I said, just a very disappointing trip.
I will NEVER do that again, and my guess is that the other couple won't, either. Wouldn't advise it. (unless you enjoy blowing thousands in cash, and being miserable...)
It's hard to know how it'll go until you do it.
I might try to pull some positive out of the whole thing, but the fact that we don't exist to them any longer since then is a testament to how unhappy/disappointed they were while on vacation on STJ.
Living and learning just plain sucks, sometimes.
Oh well!
We stayed at Blue Tang, and personally, I loved it. Great little spot, and groovy location.
Smiles-
MJ
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

She should stay home, sounds like she won't "get" STJ at all.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

We have taken several people new to St John with us the last couple of times we have gone. This thread makes me realize how lucky we were that they all loved it.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Majo Jimmy(typing at 1AM)

The fact that you so aware and so eloquent makes me think that it had to be tough and disappointing that their level of Nirvana did match yours. But what were they thinking???

I now downsize the STJ experience as it will never match my description of how special it is to me. My analogy is when the waitress sets down touch the plate and says it's hot....we ALL touch it to sse what level of hot she meant AND IT'S not the same level.

Actually we have introduced no fewer that 4 different families over the past 14 years. Most GET it but some don't GET it as much as we do. And perhaps that's a good thing.

I'm glad I GET IT and don't care anymore that other's don't.

I get that some want to plan every day out....or some want to pack more than a back pack...or some don't even know not to add a 's' at the end of St John.

What is cool...is that I can post on the forum among everybody that has the same dream/desire to live more on the concept of " Island Time" than actually living on the island...:)

But then...I'm just 20 days away.... so I get to pontificate and wax on about the island.( Lucky me)

Cheers
Smiles
Enjoy the journey!
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

I would just tell her that she wouldn't like it and that it's a small boring island w/limitted things to do. Sounds like she's more cruise ship material.