Help place to stay - Frank Bay Area

Travel discussion for St. John
Rebubula

Help place to stay - Frank Bay Area

Post by Rebubula »

Morning! I'm hoping to get some information on places to stay in Frank Bay Area. We are looking to go back the beginning of June, as of now dates are flexible. This will hopefully be our 5th annual trip, but need it to be a little more budget friendly.
In the past we have stayed at Gallows, LH and rented a villa. We really like the Frank Bay area, and the convenience of being close to town. Will also rent a jeep.
Here are some places I have found, looking for any feedback, good and bad, or any place that I haven't thought of? Would like a small kitchen,and the basics clean and well kept. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Far Horizons, Cruz Bay Villas, Frank Bay Villas (Cielomar or Soleil), Coconut Coast Villas, Garden by the Sea (no kitchen) and a place with Donald Schnell.

St John Ruth, I thought I recall you do or did reside over there? Any recommendations. BTW - incredible coffee, we just got a refill. And have a friend on his way down who will hopefully grab us more! Yumm.
Thanks!
bill

villa help

Post by bill »

have stayed at coconut coast studios a few years ago and really enjoyed it. felt like i was part of the neighborhood. have checked out palm terrace villas. look really nice. also a great area, close to town which i really like being able to walk to. have fun let me know if i can be of help.
savvy

Post by savvy »

We just returned home yesterday after one week on STJ. We stayed at Coconut Coast Villas (a studio, for just the two of us) and really liked the location. We could walk the trail around the pond to Coconut Coast Studios and then into downtown past Gallows Point. Very convenient. It was easier to walk into town when we were leaving for day trips, etc., than trying to find a place to park for the entire day. The room we rented was clean, air conditioned, and there was a small pool that we never used. We could hear the surf all night, even though we sometimes had the AC turned on. We usually cooked breakfast instead of going out. The kitchen was stocked with necessities, but no frills. The bathroom, again, was serviceable, but nothing elegant or indulgent. There was a cat that begged to come into our room every day. Someone on the second floor must have been feeding it. We were on the third floor. We could hear the people next door when they spoke loudly or had the TV turned on, but we were there so seldom. Coconut Coast Villas is on Turner Bay, the location of the car ferry dock, so there were ferries going past quite often. They weren't terribly noisy, but we always heard them. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Rebubula:

This past March, I checked out just about every Frank Bay Place available. PM me if you want to pick my brain. We stayed at Far Horizons and it was a very good experience.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

and for a Frank Bay beach break go here:

http://www.on-stjohn.com/
theshopper3

Franks Bay

Post by theshopper3 »

Hi Rebula

We just returned from staying in the Franks Bay area the first week of May.

We also love the area, for the availability to get to town & also the other beaches.

The first time we stayed at the Bouganvilla from Don Schnell, it is nice & simple, it was good for the 2 of us.
In May we stayed at the Villa Soleil & loved this villa to share with another couple which we did.

We have never rented a car & have been able to get to at least 5-6 beachs in 8 days at a much lower cost than renting a car, which also helped to keep the cost down.

If you have any questions just ask.

Tks
The Shopper 3
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

In Feb, we talked to a couple who are repeat Garden by the Sea customers. They raved about it, specifically praising the management and the walkability to town.
RickG

Re: Franks Bay

Post by RickG »

theshopper3 wrote:We have never rented a car & have been able to get to at least 5-6 beachs in 8 days at a much lower cost than renting a car, which also helped to keep the cost down.
Don't let her fool you. She spent her savings at Woody's!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Sounds like the savings were well spent!

Thanks Shopper3 for following up. We ended up going with Amora, I hope it is nice. I would take any additional feedback you have on Soleil or any additional pictures, that is another potential I have on the list for the next trip.
Two weeks and counting, can't wait! I am a major lurker, but will try to post a trip report when I return. Although the trip reports have certainly been raised a notch! Thanks Everyone.
theshopper3

Frank Bay

Post by theshopper3 »

Do problem Rebubula,

Not sure what else to tell you about Soliel, it was very clean, well stocked, the pool was great. We are not pool people but our friends are & they loved it. There was never anyone else in it.

I do have pic's but do not know how to post them, sorry....

If there is anything specific you want ot know let me know.

PS- Rick G

Thanks for letting my seceret out of the bag.
Less $$ on the villa & more for my belly :lol: