Must try restaurants???

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Re: Must try restaurants???

Post by michigan girls »

Aqua Bistro continues to be my all time favorite. We tried Sweet Plantains for the first time last April and loved it.

In Cruz Bay, I like De Coal Pot and Sogos for local flavor. Rhumblines is excellent. Love the apps and desserts at The Fatty Crab, and it's hard to beat Asolare at sunset for a fancier meal.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We enjoyed Lime Inn for lobster dinners during our last 2 trips to StJ. The owner is friendly and nice to chat with too. Their salads were fresh and tasty as well. We always enjoy Sogos for West Indian food - try the curried goat and shrimp creole. Meals come with several side dishes and its a lot of food. We also tried the new De'Coal Pot in June and it was delicious. We got carry out to take back to our villa deck to enjoy the views. While we were waiting for the food, we had a nice chat with the owner and waitress. Both had been to some of the same islands we have visited, so it was fun to chat about those places.
Happy trip planning!
burgec

Post by burgec »

Rhumb Lines, first time there thought the menu was pretentious but food was outstanding. More recently the Sunday brunch is always a hit for us.

Zozos in their old location was outstanding. Assume it is the same now but haven't been since the relo, not cheap but food and service were worth it.
Beachnut513

Post by Beachnut513 »

I don't see many people talking about Morgan's Mangos. Is it not good anymore? Really used to like it there. Haven't been in 2 yrs.
sherban

Post by sherban »

Don't know if this food & Drinks map is any help, I need to review and update it...it's prob out of date a little...

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... nuUM8tWPVA
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

La Tapa is our one must go every time we are on island. Far and away our favorite. Its not cheap, for sure, but its not particularly fancy.
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

Beachnut513,

We also enjoy Morgans Mango. We are down roughly every 6 weeks. Not sure how it got ignored. Our favorites are Zozo's (make reservations), Ocean Grill, Morgans Mango, Sun Dog (lunch and drinks) and Cruz Bay Landing.

brian.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Barb Y wrote:I have had some very good meals at the Banana Deck and High Tide. Great apps and pizza at Joe's Rum Hut but haven't had dinner there YET. I have had a few awesome breakfasts at Cruz Bay Landing but haven't tried dinner there YET either.
Ditto
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

My favorites are Zozos, Fatty Crab, Miss Lucy's, Caneel Bay sushi, and La Tapa.

For casual I also really like Banana Deck and Shipwreck Landing.

Has anyone been to the Terrace or Waterfront Bistro for dinner lately? I have never tried the Terrace because the menu looks so similar to what I can get here in Boston. Waterfront Bistro has a new menu that looks more interesting than what they offered before, but I am still on the fence. I am firming up my reservations for next month and have a couple of slots to fill in.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

I've only had breakfast at Ms Lucy's.....tell me about the dinners!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

northerngal wrote:I've only had breakfast at Ms Lucy's.....tell me about the dinners!
I have only been for lunch because despite all of my visits I still refuse to drive to/from Coral Bay in the dark. We are actually staying in Coral Bay this summer and dinner at Miss Lucy's is definitely happening as long as they have not closed for season yet.

At lunch they have delicious soups like callaloo and conch chowder, fish sandwiches (grouper reuben is my favorite), conch fritters etc. Their roti is good. My niece and nephew love the johnnycakes with honey and butter. They offer a West Indian fish fry plate that comes with lots of sides like rice and peas, fungi, sweet potato etc. It is large enough to share.

They have standard stuff like burgers, chicken sandwiches and salads also. There are vegetarian and vegan items too. I had a nice vegan coconut-quinoa-mango salad with greens there last August. It was very light and refreshing.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

lunch is usually at Shipwrecks or Tourist trap but we might have to add this to the list. SOUNDS yummy!
Thanks!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

longingstjohn wrote:Beachnut513,

We also enjoy Morgans Mango. We are down roughly every 6 weeks. Not sure how it got ignored. Our favorites are Zozo's (make reservations), Ocean Grill, Morgans Mango, Sun Dog (lunch and drinks) and Cruz Bay Landing.

brian.
We used to go to Morgan's Mango every trip and even stayed loyal after my husband found a HUGE bug in his food and they didn't offer us anything except free dessert to make up for it. But we thought their food started going down hill and haven't been there for a few years. Our fish was really dry a couple trips in a row so we stopped going. I would not be opposed to trying it again though.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Jersey Shore

Post by Jersey Shore »

We checked out "Miss Ettas" place last Easter and it was WONDERFUL!
She is based in Cruz Bay but her food is definitely worth checking out if you are over that side of the island. She cooks traditional West Indian food and operates out of the Marketplace. Its a tiny shop front offering just takeaway food but really big portions and great tasting food. I believe it is on the second floor - but just check her hours because she didn't open on the weekend last time we were there. Think it was Mon - Fri 10am - 6pm
I really really hope she is still there as we will be hitting that place up for our first dinner as soon as we get of the ferry!
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Banna Deck is one of our favorites, we are not into fancy dining or Pretty Food as I like to call it. Large portions and quality food, we have never had a bad meal there.
Last edited by Jumper on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.