Post by lprof »

KathyMN wrote:
Where is Coral Bay Caribbean Oasis???
Across the road from Island Blues.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Bluestreak12

Re: Most Overrated / Most Underrated

Post by Bluestreak12 »

I'm going to post in hope that others will continue to do also. I really enjoyed reading this thread. :)

Underrated:
Waking up in Coral Bay and listening to the echo of rosters

Going to sleep in Coral Bay to the harmonious sounds of the night. Totally caught off guard by how intense this sounded. I'll probably try to record it this time around.

Driving around St. John in a jeep. Total blast - love seeing the beauty of the north shore overlooks, coming down one of the hills in Coral Bay, stopping for a herd of goats, or slowing down to say hi to a couple of donkeys.

Haulover North & South - Loved the snorkeling here! Got a tip from a local and I'm so glad we tried it on our last day.

Overrated:
Skinny's - never again. Bad service and bad burger. - Sorry to those that like it.

Reef Bay Trail Hike - Our group was rather large and unless you were in front, it was very hard to hear. Tour guide seemed more interested in us having gather mangos for her. Hoping to see more wildlife, but that is pretty hard with 30 people wandering around. Wished we would have spent the day snorkeling instead. Loved Ram Head though!

Villa pool - It was nice having a pool to jump into after returning from the beach, but the water was very cool as it didn't have a heater and only morning sun. This was in July so it would have been worse most of the year. We still used it, but not as much as we would have liked.
Kathyva

Post by Kathyva »

Bluestreak12, thanks for resurrecting this thread. It's fun to read!

So, I am surprised by your comment about the pool in July. We just returned from an early June trip and I was kind of missing a pool some afternoons. But if the pool is cold, forget about it!

Love Coral Bay! I think the Calabash Boom area/location is underrated.
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

Hi Kathy,

Maybe I phrased it poorly. I liked having a pool, just wished it were warmer. We have one here at home and keep it at least 85 for the most of the summer. Mainly for my wife, she hates cold pools. I'm okay with it around 80-82, but she isn't. With it being just the two of us, I was hoping to get more use out of it. I was surprised how cool it was, especially since we were there in July.

We're staying at Astral Ridge and Bay Rum Breeze in exactly one month from today! Can't wait. We've had this planned now since last fall. Glad to see you think Calabash Boom is underrated. We're really looking forward to those views from the patio. 8)
Kathyva

Post by Kathyva »

Bluestreak12, I just took a look at those two properties. Wow! Maybe those pools will be warm enough! I noticed that one has a black interior and the other is solar heated. Hope you write a review and let us know.

Something else that is underrated: finding an easy road and driveway on the Coral Bay side. We did with Romance Cottage in Calabash Boom. The road and driveway was a pleasant surprise and allowed us the feeling we could come & go whenever.

And underrated because hardly anyone knows about this yet: Busy Bee Charters out of Coral Bay offers a "Lap Around St John" with 5 snorkel stops and gourmet lunch for such a reasonable price. It was the highlight of our recent trip in early June.
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

I just read about Busy Bee Charters and it looks interesting. We love snorkeling and were considering renting a dinghy to get to some places unreachable by shore. We're more interested in snorkeling than sailing so this may be a good option. Plus, I'm not sure we can get in and out of a dinghy. :lol:
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

LOVE this post! Its been about 4 years since we've been there - good to catch up on what has changed!!! KEEP EM COMING!
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Overrated:
Agree with Skinny's and Sweet Plantains
Francis has never been a good snorkel for us - cloudy every time. Salt Pond, as well, but Drunk Bay and Ram's Head made it a great place.
Hawksnest, but I've only been there once.
Painkillers

Underrated:
Driving a jeep on the left & just enjoying the drive and scenery!
Staying up high with a great view and a great breeze. (Calabash area)
Spending a day at Leinster/Waterlemon.
Blue Cobblestone and that amazing sound!
Snorkeling Maho to the right around the big rocks separating it from the camp. I have seen so much cool stuff there.
Salomon/Honeymoon
Aqua Bistro
Bushwhackers :D
Donkeys, goats, and sheep, not to mention deer.
Watching a storm move past from your villa
The whole St.John experience! Can't wait to get back!!
BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

Under-rated: St John sunsets.
Getting an early start & being the only 2 souls on Maho for the first hour.
Scoring one of the very few "free" parking spots in downtown Cruz Bay.
BBC's......my new favorite!!

Over-rated: Skinny's - Horrible, horrible service - as in - the place was not even 1/2 full and NO ONE came to take our order. I am all about island time but 20 minutes of being ignored is just unacceptable. Never Again.