Just what is it about STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
augie

Post by augie »

She's the girl that caught your eye the first time you saw her.

You know - the one you always smiled and said "hi" to during every one of your brief and all too infrequent encounters (cruise ship day trips).

Only now, you actually have a date with her (October 15-22)!

So you try and find out all about her by asking her friends (VI online travel forum) everything you can think of about her.

And you find yourself with that queasy feeling of anticipation in your stomach, and you also find yourself thinking...this could be the one!
Come see us!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

It's nice to know that FF has come to love STJ as much as I do.

I still remember sitting down with FF & Hubby (pre mini and miniest FF's) them and showing them the maps of STJ and asking them to join us on our next trip down. That was ages ago.

I guess the way that you know you have found a life-long friend is when you both love the same things passionately!

Just 6 and a half months to go till we're back on "our" island ;-)
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Dmart

Post by Dmart »

She's a lady tending to the comfort of all who visit her. She welcomes all with the warmth of her sun, her waters, and her people. It’s like being in the home of an old friend. When someone on SJ says “Hello” or “Good Day”, you know they mean it; they truly are happy to see you.

She provides adventure, beauty, and serenity cloaked in the tenderness of friendship. She demands little except cordiality and respect for her environs, her creatures, and her people. She’ll invite you to slow down a bit making it rather difficult to go, go, go!!! She knows what’s best for us even if we forget at times.

She'll enrich a soul with an extra dollop of joy that you get to take home. Next time you are on-island watching the sunset with your love, look into their face and you’ll see what I mean.

I’ve visited many islands from Hawaii to Puerto Rico down to Barbados and none have affected me as much. Leaving her is not a “Good-bye”, it’s more like saying “See ya” to a friend. I think she gives each of us room and opportunity to find our own joy. More importantly she helps us to appreciate the joy found by our friends and loved ones.

Val and I married last year at Trunk. My best man and his wife had visited Hawaii some years before and could see turtles from their hotel balcony but could never locate them when they went into the water. On the trip last year, his wife just wanted to see them, however briefly, while snorkeling. I’d planned the trip to Leinster hoping she’d be able to realize her dream. The look on her face afterward was priceless as she’d been able to SWIM with not one, but two turtles for 15-20 minutes. I was able to join her while it was happening and have since filed the feeling of joy I had for her away to tell again to folks like you.

I went into the convenience store the other day and the clerk behind the counter said “Hello”. Instead of heading for the shelves and just responding with a flippant wave and a “hey”, I found that I’d stopped, looked directly at him, and said “Hello”.

So I think it’s not just what we find there, more importantly, it’s what she gives us to take home.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

As so many of you have already said there is a certain peace and feeling of belonging when on St John. I love everything about it, the history, the beaches, the trails, flowers, donkey and friends, bars, dining, and just the overall feel. I love walking around Cruz Bay and hearing the laughter and seeing the smiles on peoples faces. It is so cool to see others just so happy to be there, as I always feel. It is always on my mind and in my heart, the one place that I run away to in my mind when life gets crazy. It is truly a gift for us all. Thanks God!
Captain Scott

Post by Captain Scott »

Flip Flop:

You've started a wonderful email string here. Just to read everyone else's feelings about St. John makes my heart warm.

Kate and I have been lucky enough to be in the Islands numerous times. She loves the solitude we find in parts of Tortola but St John is where I long to be.

24 more days and we'll be back "on" my Island again.

No computers, no cell phones, no worries! I can't wait.
LSU Beach Tiger

Post by LSU Beach Tiger »

augie wrote:She's the girl that caught your eye the first time you saw her.

You know - the one you always smiled and said "hi" to during every one of your brief and all too infrequent encounters (cruise ship day trips).

Only now, you actually have a date with her (October 15-22)!

So you try and find out all about her by asking her friends (VI online travel forum) everything you can think of about her.

And you find yourself with that queasy feeling of anticipation in your stomach, and you also find yourself thinking...this could be the one!
PERFECT DESCRIPTION :oops: 8) :) :!: