Pick up spot at the dock

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Pick up spot at the dock

Post by michigan girls »

So we're getting everything in place for our August trip and thinking about breaking our carry on only rule. My son has decided to join us and he wants to check bags. He can check a bag for free because he is military, and I can check a bag for free because of my status with Delta. He argues that since we won't be pressed for time (flight landing at 1:30), we should just check bags and not deal with making things fit in the overhead. I don't really want to haul full size luggage up to Conrad's picking up the car. So my question is - is there a spot by the dock I can pull over to pick them up if I leave them waiting there while I get the car? I know there have been some changes there.
RickG

Re: Pick up spot at the dock

Post by RickG »

High Tide is right there, and has frosty beverages.

Remember, it's a vacation not a migration. If you're bringing full-size luggage you're bring more than you need. We share a single carryon rolling bag and snorkel bag. My 22 and 16 year old daughters do as well, but they prefer to check the bag so that they can bring all of their hair products.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
augie

Post by augie »

There are a couple of spots in front of St. John Spice where you can load/unload, or, as Rick pointed out, if you can carry/roll them, High Tide is a great option!

Right after a ferry unloads it's a chaotic scene by the dock - especially if it's full of cruise ship passengers (not likely for your timeframe) or students returning from STT (more likely). Within a few minutes things settle down considerably. By the time you went and got the rental car and drove around you could likely pick them up in front of the park with no issues.
Come see us!
RickG

Post by RickG »

...and the worst option is for the whole crew to traipse up to Conrad's. There's room for about one person in their office and one person on the porch, with no sidewalk.

If we have a villa greeter and they have room, we have been known to load their vehicle up with our luggage.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

RickG wrote:...and the worst option is for the whole crew to traipse up to Conrad's. There's room for about one person in their office and one person on the porch, with no sidewalk.

If we have a villa greeter and they have room, we have been known to load their vehicle up with our luggage.

Cheers, RickG
Have you seen the new office? Still tiny - but a palace compared to the old one. But yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Believe me, I never overpack. But with 4 sets of snorkel gear, carry ons fill up fast. Particularly since I have to bring my laptop case (can't ever get away from work totally) and my camera bag for my good camera. This generally means that my daughter and I share a bag for our clothes, etc. I figure it will also save us from having to buy enough sunscreen for four people (2 of whom are very pale skinned). I just wasn't sure how they changed the rules for picking up at the dock.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

RickG wrote:...and the worst option is for the whole crew to traipse up to Conrad's. There's room for about one person in their office and one person on the porch, with no sidewalk.

Cheers, RickG
Have you seen the new office? Still tiny - but a palace compared to the old one. But yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Believe me, I never overpack. But with 4 sets of snorkel gear, carry ons fill up fast. Particularly since I have to bring my laptop case (can't ever get away from work totally) and my camera bag for my good camera. This generally means that my daughter and I share a bag for our clothes, etc. I figure it will also save us from having to buy enough sunscreen for four people (2 of whom are very pale skinned). I just wasn't sure how they changed the rules for picking up at the dock.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

In March, I pulled up behind the taxis to drop off my 2 cousins at the ferry so I could return the car. The car was running and I just got out to open he back of the jeep and immediately a cop was sternly telling me I couldn't stop there. There were no cars behind me and we stopped for no more than 30 seconds.
Next time, I would try to do a pick up/drop off in the parking lot at the public bathrooms. You could easily stop for a minute to load up. Any more, I am not a fan of hauling luggage through the streets especially with a group or with newbies.