Weather

Travel discussion for St. John
Becky&Mike

Weather

Post by Becky&Mike »

We arrive a week from tomorrow and I've seen a lot about heavy rain....anyone on island who can give me an update on things? Anything to be worried about?
Coconuts

Re: Weather

Post by Coconuts »

Becky & Mike: The system that dominated weather in the VI over the last five days lifted clear and headed north this morning, and the sun has returned. That isn't to say that another such system might not spring up; from mid April to late May, and again in the fall, the risk of extended unsettled weather (more than the usual brief passing shower) is elevated. Our daughter was bare site camping down at Cinnamon, and picked up a number of friends last Wednesday on the 11 PM ferry. The skies opened up from 11PM to 1AM, with three and a half inches of rain in those two hours. Her friends had never been to St. John before, and the north shore road to Cinnamon looked like a river at points. The folks at Cinnamon were kind enough to offer them a masonry cottage at no extra cost, since bare sites were unsafe that night. Ignore any mainstream weather forecasts; they will show a rain symbol every day, but that simply means that a brief shower is likely to occur somewhere, sometime, on the island. That is completely normal, and very different from an extended period of unsettled weather, which can impact a vacation. For the big picture, click here:
http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/ ... e_anim.gif
but for a zoomed-in local view, I prefer (biased, admittedly) this web site:
http://www.vi-satweather.com

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Tue May 13, 2014 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Mosquitoes will be an issue in about 7-10 days.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Rain our first 5 days, (we arrived 5/7) beautiful today, a few showers and wind in coral bay this evening, but calm right now in Fish bay.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

For those of you on island now:
Could you please get rid of all the mosquitoes before I get there on Friday! Thanks in advance...
John
:D :wink:
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
TheBeatyBunch

Post by TheBeatyBunch »

I have been watching the weather and have been nervous about all the rain. I guess in the end it's still a vacation away from the stress of our everyday life. I'm counting down the hours......
psufan

Post by psufan »

Kevin (aka Coconuts)...some time ago someone had posted a link to a forecast map for saharan dust. Was that you? Could you provide the link again? Thx!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Sure thing! Click here: http://forecast.uoa.gr/dustindx.php, and either click the forward or reverse arrows, or click the "Animate" button, and then "Play", at the top of the new page that loads. Note that European convention is to put the day before the month, so today is 13.05.14.

All the best,

Kevin