Tut Tut, Looks Like Rain – Day Five Trip Report 4/15-4/23

Post by nikkiki »

Link to Day One: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26974
Link to Day Two:http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... =1&t=26978
Link to Day Three: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26985
Link to Day Four: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26989
Tony’s website has St. John pics and more: http://www.antonycaldaroni.com/

Day Five
The guys decide to wake up early and head to Bordeaux Mountain for a sunrise photo shoot. The results do not disappoint. Tony gets this gorgeous shot, with great visibility to some of the other islands:

As you can see, rain is already brewing over the BVIs. They decide to try for a parking spot at the Reef Bay Trail. The ladies decide to sit it out, and I have my first ever villa gravity day. I cook a massive breakfast, read a book, and do some laundry. I’ve already done the reef bay hike twice (once on the guided tour, and once on my own), and I’m pretty badly sunburnt at this point, so I make the lazy choice. It was nice to have a little time for laundry and such, but villa gravity is just not my style. There’s too much to see and do on vacation!

Meanwhile, the guys score the parking spot and begin their descent.

It pretty much rains on them all day, but they go all the way down the trail, to the ruins, the petroglyphs, and even over to Little Lameshur before heading back to the car. Mike gets some really nice shots of the petroglyphs and the ruins. His Olympic Tough camera has some artsy presets and he has fun playing with those on the hike.

Tony gets some great shots today too.

They call in to check on us around 1:00. I’m relieved their phone worked on the trail – I know how slippery it can get and I was starting to worry. They make it back to the villa in time to relax with a few beers and watch the Blackhawks play. Until….the power goes out. Believe it or not, in four trips to St. John this is my first power outage. We have no idea how this will work – is the whole island out? Do people have generators? Only one way to find out, so we venture down the hill to see if we can watch the rest of the game at Skinny Legs. They have power…at least until we get there. Then it goes out. They promise the generator will get things going again soon, but we decide to continue our explorations. We make a few phone calls. Island Blues is out, but Shipwreck is hopping so we make a reservation.

When we arrive, they are packed. Parking is tough, and we wait a while for a table, but they do their best to settle us in quickly. They are already running on generators. I know it must be a tough night for the kitchen, but I won’t be eating here again. I was extremely disappointed with both my meal and the service. The frozen drinks are amazing though. They removed both sunburn pain and the sting of a Blackhawks loss.
michigan girls

Re: Tut Tut, Looks Like Rain – Day Five Trip Report 4/15-4/2

Post by michigan girls »

I so want to like Shipwreck - but the food disappointed me again this trip, so going forward it will only be a stop for drinks. I have yet to experience a villa gravity day - maybe some day :-)
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

Agreed, mg - I had a great lunch there, once, and the drinks are always fantastic. I really enjoyed watching the guys toss down the frozen drinks, and wished my alcohol capacity was higher, because I didn't get to try everything I wanted to. But the service is always beyond slow and my last meal was a tough, tasteless steak with half fried, raw in the middle conch fritters. Ew.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Loving your TR! We have never been to Shipwreck for dinner but have had lunch there 6 or 7 times and it is always great! Maybe because it's not busy or crowded or maybe the lunch menu choices are easier to make well but we have never been disappointed. I did think some of the frozen drinks we had at lunch were yummy but not very strong.
psufan

Post by psufan »

We were on the island for the Super Bowl in Feb. We decided to go to Virgin Fire becasue they were advertising the game and specials. During the game the electric went out on St Thomas and St John. After a few minutes of complete darkness (no emergency lighting except for a few cell phone flashlights) the electricity was restored and we all gave a rousing cheer. Well, turns out Mongoose Junction has their own generator and as a result lots of people started pouring in from all over the island to watch the game. It got very crowded very quickly. It made for a fun event though. We shared our table with a local resident and had a good time. So, note to everyone...Mongoose Junction has a generator if you need to find someplace for dinner during a power outage. Apparently the Beach Bar has one as well.