Amazing Day on STJ! And mini Trip Report

Travel discussion for St. John
MadCityMom

Amazing Day on STJ! And mini Trip Report

Post by MadCityMom »

So this year we are mixing things up a bit, spending time on STT, STJ and Tortola. We arrived Thurs. afternoon just after 1pm (earliest arrival ever for us) got free rum shots (banana and guava) collected our bags and were off. We are traveling with hubby and I, two girls (6 and 3) and babysitter. Hubby and I were married at the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef eight years ago, so we decided to take the girls to see where we were married and we booked a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo at Frenchmen's Cove for 3 nights. Hubby schmoozed a better building and view! The condos are really very lovely. Everything we would need. Well appointed kitchen, greater master with balcony, and second bed with balcony. Lovely dining area and living room.

The girls enjoyed the pool with slide the first afternoon and we ended at a restaurant at resort for dinner. The views were lovely. Crazy pricey for decent food and really slow service. After getting up at 3am for our flights we were exhausted. We planned STJ for yesterday, but our 3 yr old woke up sick in the middle of the night. :( One thing I must say that's nice that we were at the resort was being able to call in the morning for new bed coverings rather than having to wash them ourselves.

With little one not feeling great we decided to go to the resort's MorningstarBeach for the day. It's quite nice. Not STJ of course, but enjoyed buckets of caribe and red stripe and lunch on the beach and the kids enjoyed the water and the cool water made our little one feel so much better. Back to the pool late in the afternoon for more time for the kids to enjoy the slide and half priced drinks for happy hour for the adults. :wink: then cleaned up for a casual dinner at the resort.

STJ day! Caught a taxi to Red Hook with plenty of time before the 9am ferry. Enough time in fact for a Bloody Mary (stoli well!) to share for me and babysitter and mango smoothy for the girls. Arrive in STJ and waited for hubby to get the Jeep from Courtesy Car Rental. Holy cow, dear husband says they were amazing. We've not had the best luck the last few years with other companies. Off in a beautiful new Jeep. Stopped at Starfish for some drinks and fruit, beer,juice, water and ice and then Sam & Jacks for some delish sandwiches, homemade chips, pasta and potato salad to throw in the cooler.

First stop Hawksnest of course! Hubby's fave and kind of a tradition. It was fantastic! Absolutely gorgeous! Secluded at first but then got pretty busy. We planned to beach hop but were so content. Eventually we decided to head to trunk since we brought clothes to change into for dinner later and needed the facilities.

It was lovely. Crowded but not crazy. A little wavy (yellow flag). But really nice. hubs and I discovered STJ by a trunk day trip from STT on our wedding/honeymoon. Enjoyed some beach time, showered and got dressed for dinner.

Down to Cruz Bay, car returned and off to The Beach Bar for happy hour! Girls loved climbing the tree on the beach, walking in the water and throwing a tennis ball to a dog with another group. Very good dinner and happy hour (relatively reasonable too!). Enjoyed a beautiful sunset at Beach Bar before hitting the 7pm ferry. Did a mini walk of woe :( as we ferried off, we wondered if we screwed up royally by not staying on St John the whole time... I think it has and will be a great trip, mixing it up a bit, but probably next time back to STJ. Who knows. So many islands, so little time.

Tomorrow off to Tortola...
kklay

Re: Amazing Day on STJ! And mini Trip Report

Post by kklay »

It sounds like you are having a lovely time! Thank you for writing a trip report - can't wait to read more. I always think I am going to write a report while on island but have yet to do so. Maybe our next trip!