Wire mesh thingy to lock your belongings

Travel discussion for St. John
FlaGeorge

Wire mesh thingy to lock your belongings

Post by FlaGeorge »

I remember reading a while back that someone post a wire mesh product that goes around say your backpack and you can lock it to a tree. Does anyone have an idea what that product is and a web site to it. It would be great to be able to lock you stuff up when at the beach.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
psufan

Re: Wire mesh thingy to lock your belongings

Post by psufan »

FlaGeorge,

Is this what you had in mind? We don't have the wire mesh bags but we do have another product from PacSafe which we use to put cameras, Nooks, wallets, and valuables in that can be attached to a tree and locked. Not fool proof but probably enough of a deterrant.

http://pacsafe.com/products
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Thanks PSUFAN - that is it. Do you have the wire mesh that goes around a backpack or do you have one of their paclbacks ?
FlaGeorge

psufan

Post by psufan »

We have one of the black stealth camera safe bags. We just made sure we bought one that had dimensions large enough to accomodate the things we typically take to the beach.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Thanks for the help PSUFAN
FlaGeorge

cindygad

Post by cindygad »

We have the pac safe for our backpack. We only use it in remote areas. It folds up real small and we have been happy with it.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Some years ago, we ordered a Pacsafe for our beach bag, but sent it back. The space between the mesh was big enough that you could easily put your fingers through it to open a zipper and get something out of the bag. Having something like this is probably a good deterrent, but it seemed like it would be relatively easy to get into a bag if one wanted to and had time to work on it.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I own a pacsafe bag. The bag is made of a strong material, and it is completely lined with mesh. It has a cord with a lock that threads through the top to close it and then is long enough to wrap around a tree. I found it very useful. They come in all different sizes. The one I got is large enough to hold everyone in my group's camera gear, kindles, etc. It is even large enough to hold my laptop (not that I am taking a laptop to the beach, but I lock it into the pacsafe for the night when I am sleeping). I guess you could get into it if you had a set of bolt cutters, but I am counting on the thieves of St. John being less motivated than that :-)

Here is my bag at Salt Pond Bay:

It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
melmd

Post by melmd »

My sis-in-law bought one (Pac-Safe)for our girls trips since we are both in the water together. We love it, she bought the smaller one, but it is still large enough for IPhone, go-phone, small camera, and cash. It was one of the best purchases we've made for STJ. Ours looks just like Liamsaunt's but smaller.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Thanks liamsaunt, that looks to be the right size for me. Do you have a model number or size so that I can order the same one?
FlaGeorge

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

this is the one I have:

http://pacsafe.com/travelsafe-20l-portable-safe

It looks like it is out of stock right now though.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.