Looking forward to PBJs and Pringles...

Travel discussion for St. John
NC Brenda

Looking forward to PBJs and Pringles...

Post by NC Brenda »

We are beginning to plan our next trip, and I definitely have St John on the brain. I cut my thumb today while chopping veggies for the crock pot, and my first thought was.... I can't wait to be back on STJ where "cooking" is packing PBJs, Pringles and fruit for a day at the beach!
PA Girl

Re: Looking forward to PBJs and Pringles...

Post by PA Girl »

"Cooking" next week on STJ for me will be call Sam and Jack's for our daily lunch order!
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Have fun Brenda!

My favorite lunch in the world is a PB&J on a hot dog roll, Pringles chips, Oreos that have been sitting in the sun, and a Presidente....

Of course, the lunch is much better if you are looking at the beautiful Caribbean from your chair on Vie's Beach, or Little Lameshur, or Maho, or ....

have a wonderful time...
-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I didn't realize others liked Pringles on island too. We started eating Pringles in the islands many years ago when we traveled to small islands in the southern part of the Caribbean and the only potato chips you could buy was Pringles. Now the taste (for us) is associated with a picnic on the beach in the islands. OUr fav is Pringles and Ting.
Agree with the sentiment about easy cooking while on island.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I only eat Pringles when on St. John. We always have at least two flavors with us on the summer group trips. The rest of the lunch is either pb and j or takeout from either Deli Grotto or Sam and Jacks.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

It's fun and funny to hear that other people have their STJ vacation snack rituals. For some reason when they were little my kids always loved to have Toaster Strudels for breakfast on STJ. Probably because I wouldn't buy them the rest of the year because they are really just tasty processed junk food- but on vaca it's ok. And you can write little messages with the icing.

Another ritual we have is picking up a double or triple to-go order of Margarita Phil's Jalapeno Poppers on our last day and taking them to Gibney with a pitcher of Margaritas.

So many sweet memories.
Gretchen3

Post by Gretchen3 »

Yes! Yes! Yes! When in St. John that peanut butter and jelly every single day for 8 days tastes absolutely delicious! Man, life is good sitting on a St. John beach eating the most simple foods. I can totally relate!
NC Brenda

Post by NC Brenda »

We always pack Pringles and pb and jelly, along with a few other snacks.
We plan to bring our 9 year old with us for the first time this summer. I think she'll be happily surprised at our island eating habits! And as a good little beach bum, I know she'll love dinners on the beach at wharfside.

Speaking of happy hour : ) are there any spots it would be inappropriate to bring her for happy hour eats? We usually stick to Beach Bar and High Tide, but want to try Spyglass, Rum Hut, Sun Dog etc this year.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Too funny! We (a group group of 4) will go through a mini mountain of Pringles on STJ in a weeks time. In fact most everyday we stop for more booze and pringles on our way home from the beach of the day! We will be there in 12 days and I can't wait for my first taste of pringles! Glad to hear we are not alone.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Many a lunch hour has been spent on STJ enjoying Pringles and/or Doritos. And that's it for lunch. Because....why not?!?
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

We went down with a group of 10 in October and each day I would stop at the Love City Mini Mart and buy 4 packages of hot dog rolls, 2 packs of cheese, a package of ham, a package of turkey, peanut butter, jelly, 3-12 packs of Presidente, 3 containers of pringles, Oreos, and Chocolate Chip cookies...I got some strange looks. It was much cheaper to do that than eat lunch at a restaurant. We went to the Tourist Trap one day for lunch/drinks and spent $400 (of course, we may have had more than one drink each - those BoomBooms were a big hit! :D )...
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
IA Joe

Post by IA Joe »

I am probably in the minority, but I enjoy cooking on St. John more than at home. Just something so relaxing about preparing a nice meal in a villa or condo, and then enjoy that meal on the deck. I love it.

But then I think everything is better on St. John.

Joe
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Agent99 wrote:It's fun and funny to hear that other people have their STJ vacation snack rituals. For some reason when they were little my kids always loved to have Toaster Strudels for breakfast on STJ. Probably because I wouldn't buy them the rest of the year because they are really just tasty processed junk food- but on vaca it's ok. And you can write little messages with the icing. .
My son never had sugary cereal until he was about 4.5 years old. We were on STJ with close friends. The first morning, I hear him call to me to come into the kitchen "MOM, come quick, this is the best thing I EVER ate!!!!!!"

I found him deep into a huge bowl of Lucky Charms. My friend thought he was doing me a favor by feeding him breakfast :)

I didn't mind (too much) and I swear the two of them went through one box a day on that trip.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Too funny! Especially considering that a box of Lucky Charms on STJ is probably $12!
RickG

Post by RickG »

My youngest daughter loves making and packing a beach lunch for everyone on STJ. It's a real treat for me to get my lunch treats! Dad packs the drinks. Pringles are a hit, as are Cheezy Poofs. Both are vacation staples that we just don't buy at home - taste like fun.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI