mack & papabou #5 (or $6?)

Travel discussion for St. John
papabou

mack & papabou #5 (or $6?)

Post by papabou »

awoke to beautiful day and pulled out at 8:30, slow drive along n shore and stopped at maho. very few folks out and getting a little overcast. went to right end (east) near maho campground. 2 cars in lot, one lady on beach watching her husband and 2 snorkelers near rocks headed toward little maho. so 3 folks on beach, the wife, mack and me. there where 4 small southern rays going back and forth in about 12" of water maybe 6 ft from shore. still there where mack and i got in. how many times have you been to maho when there were more rays almost on beach than people on beach? me, never!

probably best snorkel i've had among 2 dozen at maho. visibility good, loads of marine life and nice temp and no currents. very large school of feed fish in shallows about mid way out. swimming amongst the feedfh were 3 very large tarpons. we saw couple large grey angel f and 3 large fr angels; large octopus we couldn't get out from under a rock and 7+ ft shark sleeping on bottom after the turn into little maho. thought might be a nurse shark but had an extremely wide head, maybe 2 ft wide and about same width for frt 3 feet, then sharp taper to long slender tail.

back to grass looking for turtles to no avail but did see couple of larger rays swimming along bottom. one of few times didn't see a turtle at maho though did see couple of heads popping up when we 1st got there. yes a good snorkel; but

best for last. mack and i have seen a jumbo turtle, manta ray and baby at francis in spring a year ago, large barracuda, and several covey of large tarpons. but this snorkel i saw my 1st spotted eagle ray that flew by on my left as we were going out. completed my trificta just wish he/she had stopped for a visit.

emptied the cooler after the snorkel, slipped past the call of the sireens at colombo's and dropped into coral bay for lunch at skinny's. not one there, service still slow, friendly waitstaff, & burger better than most. settled up, checked the remaining money supply and decided we could stop at columbo's on way home. since i was driving & at my alcohol limit, gave my free rum that comes with the smoothie purchased at full price to mack. the hostess from maine smiled when we pulled in & clapped when we left nothwithingstanding the jumbo tip part of which was advise re georgia author she was reading, stuart woods. for those who like his stuff from last 15 yrs, you will love some of his 1st novels, most set in ga such as chiefs, grass roots, palindrone, sante fe rules etc.

back at condo and mack is sleeping off his beers and free rum, me slaving away.
papabou
lprof

Re: mack & papabou #5 (or $6?)

Post by lprof »

At my age it is as hard to read your reports as it is for you to slave over them!
But, keep it up… I'm liking them a bunch! 8)
Good to hear that the Smoothie Stand is now open again.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We saw the Maho tarpons a few weeks ago. They appear so quickly out of the cloud of baitfish!
Enjoying your reports!
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Must have missed you at Skinny's. It was pretty crowded at 1 pm!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Wahooo.... glad you had a good day of snorkeling.
From the sounds of it, your best yet this week! I was worried it would take a while for that sand to settle out after the strong waves you've had earlier in the week.

Thanks for the reports!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You guys are like the STJ energizer bunnies!!! Keep the reports coming - so fun to read!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have been logging on every day just to see if you posted a new report. They are all great. I saw an eagle ray several years ago at Waterlemon. Sounds like you had a great day.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Got to agree with Minde, you guys have lots of energy. This could be the reason the wives send u off alone? Keep up the reports!