1st trip

Travel discussion for St. John
jsauls1

1st trip

Post by jsauls1 »

Just made reservations at Gallows Point for July in 2014 , this will be our first trip to VI but not the last. Will start watching the flight prices out of Charleston to grab the lowest , staying for seven days so hope to see as much as possible. Maybe even find a place to purchase when it is time to relocate , any suggestions would be helpful from some of the more experience travelers of the area.
News of St. John

Re: 1st trip

Post by News of St. John »

Congratulations! You are going to love the island!
Jenn, News of St. John
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

My best advice is to plan more about what you want to do and see, and less about WHEN to do and see. The joy of the island is that each day can be scheduled independently (except if you want a scheduled Powerboat trip - I recommend Palm Tree Charters- or Ferryboat to JVD). So instead of thinking "Monday we're going to Trunk; Tuesday to Cinnamon": think "I want to see Trunk and Cinnamon".

I agree with the age-old saying: "The best plans for tomorrow are made tonight -- with a drink in my hand"!

If you want more detailed advice, ask more specific questions, like:

Where's the best place to see sea turtles?
Where's the best Lunch Special Restaurant?
Who sells Cruzan Rum at the lowest cost?

You'll get better responses that way.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

My advice is to hang out here until you go. You will find all sorts of information about the island and will be able to have some ideas about what you would like to see or do once you get there. Don't worry too much about making all sorts of plans before you get there because "island time" will eventually grab hold and you'll learn to slow down and take things as they come. If you know you want to do a boat day then you need to do some planning ahead of time but just realize that even those kind of plans may get shifted around depending on weather,surf conditions, etc. Doesn't matter.....it's ALL good! And besides, if you "get" it, you'll definitely be back like the rest of us and anything you miss can be saved for next time.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I love VIlover's advice about planning WHAT you want to see vs deciding WHEN you'll see it! Well put!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

St. John is such a magical island and I know this forum will lead you to discover all sorts of amazing things. You can hike, snorkel, eat, shop, drink, relax, etc! Just returned home last night.... :(

If you do decide that you would like to see some properties while there and possibly are considering a purchase, I highly recommend Les Otis of St. John Properties (les.otis@yahoo.com).

We started visiting the island back in 2002 and have since bought two properties through Les. He treated us as an honest and knowledgeable friend and guided us through our first purchase and made us feel comfortable through a somewhat overwhelming process.

Enjoy your trip!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Just passing on good advice from others;
"Get a jeep reserved YESTERDAY!"
"Pack half the clothes you think you need and twice the money."
"When you step off of the plane in STT and into the hot humid air of the airport tarmac, set your watch to island time. The only time you need to know is when it is time to get to the ferry to depart."
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Betty

Post by Betty »

I second what Tracy said about Les Otis and his wife Dianne Otis of St John Properties 340-642-5752 . Give them a call and they can put you on their weekly mailings for new properties on the market and sold properties. It is a good way to educate yourself about the island and real estate. We purchased our Land from Les and Dianne and they were wonderful, patient and informative! We purchased a virgin heavily wooded property and Les machete'd his way in so we could see the maximum view. We do not have any regrets moving to St John!

You will love Gallows, we have stayed all over the island and I would say it is my second favorite lodging after Caneel Bay, Scott Beach. You will learn a lot from this board about St John, be prepared to become obsessed :D
conchman

Post by conchman »

Welcome to our VI addiction. As most have stated "fail to plan, plan to fail". We have been traveling to STJ for over 13 years, next trip in January 14' (first time in season, we will see how that works...we like low season :D ) We have experienced a lot of changes to the islands in that time, most good, few bad. I remember seeing online pictures with my wife before our first trip thinking how off the hook it looked, reality was even better. I think one can over-do researching what to do, where to go, (information overload !!) Pick what looks like your favorites or must do's, let the rest just kinda' flow. I think we really liked most was just learning about the island, history, culture etc. Enjoy your experience....

M
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

"If I had trouble the warranty said, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"