Cruz Bay at Night - safe to walk?

Travel discussion for St. John
ThirdBird

Cruz Bay at Night - safe to walk?

Post by ThirdBird »

First trip to the rock, very excited. One question that nobody seems to address is safety on the island. Not knowing the area, is it safe to walk through Cruz Bay at night? Any safety or security tips that we should be aware of? Thanks!! :)
MN_Bhoy

Re: Cruz Bay at Night - safe to walk?

Post by MN_Bhoy »

I think one of the advantages of visting STJ vs other islands is the ability to walk around town at night and feel relatively comfortable. My wife and I have never had any issues walking together at night from Grande Bay to Mongoose Junction. There are usually enough people around where safety isn't a major concern.

All that said, we don't make a habit of walking around after midnight and I wouldn't allow my wife to walk by herself.

Tips? Avoid islolated areas, be wary of the time, use common sense and you'll be fine.

Have a great time!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

One of the reasons my wife and I bought a home there recently was the sense of safety which we felt at night in cruz bay.
certainly there are a few areas where i would not want to go at 2 to 4 in the morning, but overall st john just exudes calm.
the biggest crimes i have heard of was the theft of food and shiny objects on some beaches...usually the culprit mongoose or seagull are spotted.
a previous thread mentioned an iPod found on trunk beach, picture that happening in new jersey or ocean city maryland.

just my opinion.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We spend nearly every evening of our STJ vacations on foot in Cruz Bay. The vibe is pleasantly busy/happy and most places have outdoor seating so to me, the activity makes it feel safe.

I wouldn't, however, stumble around wasted at 2am but I don't do that at home either.
ThirdBird

Post by ThirdBird »

Thanks to all. That's what I figured, but I just wanted to be sure we asked those who have been there. Looking forward to being able to answer questions for others!
MargaritaDee

Post by MargaritaDee »

We, too stay at Grande Bay and my kids 12 & 16 walk back to the condo together when they are done with dinner. They have never had an issue nor are they afraid to walk back. I feel extremely comfortable walking in town- I think most would agree that when you are new to the Island you are very wary at first. We all have been taught to be are of our surroundings and the people who are in it. The locals are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and they are part of the reason we keep going back. Have a fantastic time and enjoy a Bushwacker or Painkiller for those of us stuck on the mainland!
May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes...
If I could just figure out the damn ticker...St. John Vacation June 20-July 5, 2014!