Dilemna!

Travel discussion for St. John
Backtotheislands

Dilemna!

Post by Backtotheislands »

My husband has finally given me 4 days and about 1/2 what I need to plan a vacay to SJ in 3 weeks due to his extreme work schedule and having 2 weddings this summer. With the time and money allocated I've been looking at both sides of Mexico (like the mountains in the west, but no snorkeling), Jamaica, and Dominican Republic because that's about all this will buy. He's thinking all inclusive. We've never done one. Anyway, heard my island song and thought, "BUT I want St. John!" If I wait a couple of months he could get off longer and we could manage a trip there. My problem is I go back to school in 4 weeks and I'm married to my job come August and may have difficulty getting off. To add to that my kids and sweet 11 month grandson have moved in with us, and life as I know it has changed! :shock: Their wedding is in a week and a half, then I babysit for honeymoon, so "short trip" would be upon their return. Anyway, since you guys "get" how I feel about SJ, what is your input?? Short, fill-in vacation just to catch our breath or wait for my happy place? Thanks!
Jumper

Re: Dilemna!

Post by Jumper »

I would recommend waiting and getting a whole week available. If you only have 4 days, two of them will be travel days, so you get two days to vacation, with the expense of travel it does not add up. I always try and remember not to let "day to day" living become my only life, I would pick a week and make it happen. Life is way to short, I plan to die with a smile on my face. :D

Whatever you decide to do have fun and enjoy it!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

If you take a short fill in vacation, can you still go to STJ later?
If yes, find a resort that fits into the budget and go!!!! There are great spots all over the world. They aren't STJ but they are darn nice and after a wedding and a grandchild and work and everything else, a little recharge may be exactly what you need.

If you can only take one trip, I would hold out for STJ and take a weekend trip locally.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I'm planning a 4 day trip, too. It's not ideal, but with kids and a school schedule 4 days is all I can manage until next spring break.

If you are able to get direct flights at good times (maybe even one the night before and stay on STT or SJU?) than it may be worth it. If your first and last days will solely be travel, than it's probably not worth it and I would suggest going somewhere you can get to quickly and easily and inexpensively to save your hard earned money for STJ.
Tickerless :(
Backtotheislands

The 4 day trip would not be SJ for sure. From Dallas I'd be left with only 3 days there and it's cost prohibitive! X, I would probably be out a trip until next year, but I also wonder if going this year may kick out next year's trip! :( Yes, some recharge might be nice right now. I had one get married June 22nd and the kids moved in a week later. Things are busy, busy around here! Love having my little sweetie here all the time, but not the quiet time I had become accustomed to in the summers! There are many beautiful places on my list of go to places, but most of them don't work either monetarily or time-wise in 4 days. Hard to get to islands, Costa Rica, etc. I'm lucky because I can have a trip of some sort and some folks can't. Decisions, decisions!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

If I was sure it wasn't going to kick out next years St John trip, I would take my quickie trip to the Dominican Republic. Quick and cheap, and all inclusive. It's no where near as wonderful as St John, but for quickie, it's not bad :-)
Backtotheislands

Quick trip won't kick out next year's trip, but fall trip may kick out next year's SJ trip!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Backtotheislands wrote:Quick trip won't kick out next year's trip, but fall trip may kick out next year's SJ trip!
Then I say go for the quickie, and work on planning next years STJ trip.

We stay here in the Dominican Republic : http://www.blauhotels.com/naturapark/default-en.html
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

How about Isla Mujeres? Easy to get to from TX (fly into Cancun), it's an island in the Caribbean, inexpensive, and the added bonus is that it's Whale Shark season right now. You can book a trip to swim/snorkel with the Whale Sharks (a bucket list item, for sure!). These folks http://onislamujeres.com/ come highly recommended.
I'd feel way too rushed to do STJ in four days.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I was on Isla Mujeres many years ago and I remember it as lovely and quiet.

Here is a link to my Mexico trip report where I give my observations about a non-AI family going to an AI -

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... rt#p230464

We are going to Cozumel in November. I would think Cancun and Cozumel would be easy to reach from TX.

AIs will probably never be a top vacation choice for me but they are very easy, relaxing vacations and the price is hard to beat.
2Lindy

Post by 2Lindy »

Why spend a ton of time travelling to make it to an island that's not going to compare? Go somewhere easy to get to like New Orleans. Granted it's brutally hot there, but it's brutally hot EVERYWHERE right now! Plus, being from Texas you're used to brutally hot. The Hotel Monteleone has a gorgeous rooftop pool where you can relax and cool off during the hottest part of the day and there's a bar right there also. They are running specials on their room rates until Sept. 20 starting at $119 a night. And that's a bargain!! It's right in the French Quarter and there is the Carousel Bar on the ground floor - it rotates like a carousel so don't expect your bar stool to be in the same spot if you go to the bathroom! There is a restaurant there although I've never eaten in it. Too too many other fantastic places for eating in the French Quarter!! It's not an all inclusive resort but it's pretty darned nice and you'll will find plenty of things to do at night when it's cooler. If you go try to set aside one morning to do the Creole French Quarter tour. It is worth every penny - lots of interesting historical information along with access to one of the cemetaries and several French Quarter gardens.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Just returned from Key West where the weather was cooler then it's been in NYC all week. Lots of lodging choices, beaches, not like SJ but the water is very nice. fly directly to Key West, taxi to Old Town, no need for a car..lrent bikes or walk. Kenny C has been known to drop in for a set at Smokin Tuna.
Backtotheislands

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Cancun is way too "busy", visited Playa when my sister lived there, but hubby hasn't been. He wants to go someplace new unless it's St. John (which is a miracle in itself!). We visited Isla Mujeres a few years ago and enjoyed where we stayed. It was nice and quiet! I've thought about the keys, although maybe not Key West = too touristy! I really want a beach so probably not New Orleans. I'm still thinking. Trying to decide whether to go in 3 weeks and catch my breath before school starts or hopefully steal a week in October or early November and slip away to SJ.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Have you considered Florida? We really enjoy the Sanibel/Captiva area. Not all-inclusive, but nice accomodations on the beach, easy to get around and decent restaurants. It's about a 45 minute drive from Ft. Myers airport. No snorkeling if that is important to you.
janet
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

jayseadee wrote:Have you considered Florida? We really enjoy the Sanibel/Captiva area. Not all-inclusive, but nice accomodations on the beach, easy to get around and decent restaurants. It's about a 45 minute drive from Ft. Myers airport. No snorkeling if that is important to you.
2nd this idea :D