Oh no! First-timers leaving in a week, lots of questions!

Travel discussion for St. John
waterguy

Re: Oh no! First-timers leaving in a week, lots of questions

Post by waterguy »

Since now you sound like you will have a jeep part of the time take north shore rd out stopping at all the over looks getting pictures of your new wife beaming in front of them all. check out the beaches you go by so you will have a idea where you want to go later continue on to center line stopping at the smooth stand for a smooth "with" Remember you can drink in the car as long as you have your seat belt on and seat belts are required for front seat passengers they will pull you over for that. Back to our road trip head to coal bay when you get to the tee in the road take a left. go all the way to the east end you will pass Skinny legs and Vie's try to have one of you watch the road because the view are outstanding. Turn around and head the other way You'll pass Aqua bistro, Shipwreck, Miss Lucy's and the Tourst Trap. You will end up at Lamsure bay. You could snorkle or swim here if it isn't lunch time yet or head back and stop at one of the place you past. Head back up center line rd. you will pass the clinic Gift hill rd is just pased it to the left take it down to south shore rd and back into town now you have circled the island and driven on some how would you say it very intresting roads. Remember the jeeps have 4 whell drive use it on the switch backs if it is raining or if you are nervous. Passengers job is to remind you to drive on the left. and to tell you about all the things you missed. LOL But remember to relax let the day come to you. Some of my best days on island have been when we didn't have plan just loaded up the jeep with a cooler and beach chairs and let the day happen. Tom
Tom
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

You've been given good advice. I wholeheartedly agree with getting a Jeep. You can't get to most of the island without one.

You can rent a Jeep on STT or STJ.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
ca-caw

Post by ca-caw »

We did book a jeep for 5 days that we will be there. I've booked a chef for the room one night, and am waiting for a response about a dinner reservation. I found an old AT&T phone and will be activating it as a GoPhone to avoid any verizon craziness.

@waterguy - That's exactly the kind of detail I'm looking for! Sounds amazing.

@jmq - WOW! If that's our view, I'm afraid we'll never leave the patio.

@54b - I'm sure I'll think about that post often during the week. Thanks!

@B&J in VA - Ha, I guess I should dig into the site more. I've been focused on reading the forum and haven't even bothered to look around much. If it's not on the cruise ship schedule, does that mean there are no ships docked at STJ during July? On the other days that ships are docked in STT, I'm assuming some folks will wander over the ferry to STJ, but it can't have much of an impact, can it?

We will definitely post a trip report! Thanks for all the amazing information everyone! I'm going to keep watching the thread. I'll probably reply a few more times, but know that I appreciate all the messages!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Very few ships make port of call in STJ but you have to worry about the ones on STT as they bring them over to trunk.
Tom
Tom
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

One other thing just because its raining on one side of the island doesn't mean it is on the other as the hills block alot of the rain. So if its rain on the north shore try salt pond or lamsure or vice a versa also just get in the water as you are wet any way most showers blow over quick.
Tom
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Glad you rented a jeep.
Island Time is real :)
Grab one of the free St John maps that are everywhere.
IF, you think about it we'd love a trip report!
Have a wonderful, magical, relaxing, and new experience :):):)
Greygirl

Post by Greygirl »

First timers, congrats on choosing the most amazing rock ever! After 10 years, I would say, don't stress so much about what you have to pack in the first time. After 10 years, we still find that there are new things. This year, we found Baked In The Sun for breakfast and take out sandwiches...their cheddar and bacon sandwich is amazing even room temp! Sam and Jacks at Starfish will give you great lunch items but they aren't open until 9. We usually wanted to be on the beach by 8 with a packed lunch and beverages. For your first floatie day, Big Maho, park across the street in lot, walk all the way to the right end, stake out your Seagrape, hang your gear, put your chairs out and enjoy having two hours before anyone else shows! A must is Jakes for breakfast, 7-730, small business, great owner with small children, sweet family, sitting high on stools looking out to Cruz, half way up hill to Round About...eggs, crispy bacon, home fried potatoes, very reasonable and the owner is the nicest guy ever!! Just don't analyze it too much, after two days you'll be in the flow and whatever you decide for the day will be the best day!!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

By now you've seen enough advice to see that what is my must see/do is not the same as the others. It will be whatever you and Lindsey find to be that must see. The next time you will do that again and discover something that you missed on the first trip.

It sounds like you have all the information that you need to have YOUR wonderful trip.

Now, relax. Enjoy your special day. Have a wonderful trip. Take lots of photos. Ask someone who is at the overlook when you are there to take a photo of both of you with your camera. Several trips from now you will be remembering what you did this trip and offering that to the next first-timers in response to their questions. How do we know this? We know this because your post was our first posts.

It is "like some dream we live down here."

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

ca-caw

Post by ca-caw »

Thanks *everyone* for the amazing advice. I've read this thread multiple times and will take all your tips to heart. We'll be sure to do a trip report with some photos! :D
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

I found this in my bookmarks...it is a first timers guide written by forum member Rick G. It was helpful to me my 1st time...

http://www.garvin.us/STJ/New_Visitors_G ... tml#Mobile

Congrats on two lifechanging events...marriage and your 1st visit to paradise.
ca-caw

Post by ca-caw »

mdcoles1 wrote:I found this in my bookmarks...it is a first timers guide written by forum member Rick G. It was helpful to me my 1st time...

http://www.garvin.us/STJ/New_Visitors_G ... tml#Mobile

Congrats on two lifechanging events...marriage and your 1st visit to paradise.
Excellent read! Even though that's from 2006 and a few things have probably changed, it seems to be a great primer. Thanks!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

EagleRayLover wrote:Take half the advice you've gotten and you will have An amazing time!!
+10
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

You have gotten a lot of very good advise. Here is mine as well.
Definitely the Beach Bar. For food they have awesome Nachos and fantastic Painkillers, BUT, also ask the bartender to fix a special drink for you. They always come up with yummy drinks. The Beach Bar is always my first stop after getting off the ferry. You definitely want to rent a jeep for the week. I have always used Conrad Sutton. You have to have a copy of your insurance card to show when you rent a vehicle anywhere on island. Yes it is a little costly but then you can go whenever you feel like it and not having to wait on a taxi to come by wherever you are at. Sometimes you have to wait awhile. SITE SEE, and take your time with it. I usually plan at least 2 things per day that I really want to do and the rest of the day I just go with the flow of the day. If you get over to Coral Bay make sure to go by the Tourist Trap and have a "Drink Right, Keep Left" drinks. They are AWESOME!!!, and take the time to sit and visit, they are really good people. Also take the path to Salt Pond Bay and then take the path to Drunk Bay, my opinion is it is a must see. I visit there everytime I go. It's breathtaking. I would not take traveler checks, a lot of places don't like to use them anymore. Cash & card works best. When packing.....backpack is the way to go. I carried everything I needed for 7 days in a backpack. A couple of outfits to go out at night and a couple of outfits for the day, the rest of the time it was my swimsuit and a coverup. There are washers & dryers that you can use if you need to wash some clothes but there really is no need for a suitcase and defintely no need to pay for baggage. There is a book you can purchase, I think it's called "Off the Beaten Path" and it is a guide to everything on the island. You can get it off Amazon or wait until you get on island and purchase it from St. John Spice. It's filled with lots of information.
I hope this has helped you some. Congrats on the marriage and have a wonderful Honeymoon!!
My Heart is in St. John!
ca-caw

Post by ca-caw »

We returned home to Chicago around 11pm on Monday night. Back to work today. As I drove to the office I thought to myself, "why would anyone choose to live here, when someplace like St John exists?" Of course there are good answers to that question, but in the moment I couldn't think of any.

Full trip report is coming after photos are downloaded and thoughts are collected. Don't worry, I kept a running diary but we still need to process everything. BTW, we bumped into board member dreamshark (Sharon and Richard) at Tourist Trap which was really fun!

Thanks again all! I'll either post the trip report here, or make a new thread and link to it from this one!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

I'm anxious to hear how it went!

Are you back yet?