Oh no! First-timers leaving in a week, lots of questions!

Travel discussion for St. John
ca-caw

Oh no! First-timers leaving in a week, lots of questions!

Post by ca-caw »

Hi all,

My lovely new bride and I will be traveling from the US to St. John next week (7/7) and will be staying for 8 nights. We've been planning our wedding for the last few months (read: forever) and haven't had a chance to crack open our travel guide and do much planning. I fear that we're totally unprepared!

I have a few questions. I'm sure they've been answered before, but even though I've been digging through old threads, I haven't seen all of the answered in one place, and figured I'd just ask. As a new forum member, I apologize in advance if I'm missing the location of this info.

1. We're staying at Gallows Point, and have contacted them about our arrival time. I'm assuming we take a taxi from the airport at STT to the Red Hook Ferry. What is that situation going to be like? Approximate fare? Tipping? Anything to watch out for? (resort website says: "Taxi fares normally run $15 per person plus baggage fees." what are the baggage fees?)

2. Cash! I'm assuming that the taxi will be cash only, but is it important to carry cash? Are travelers checks acceptable/recommended? I know ATM's are limited on the island, but are credit cards accepted most places?

3. We are trying to get a chef to come in to the resort for one night to make us a meal (Ted Robinson from Teds Supper Club). It sounds like Zozo's is a great restaurant for a fancy meal. Do reservations need to be made for mid-week dining? I'm checking the dining map, but any other must-eat places? I'm assuming most places are CASUAL, even Zozo's?

4. What to drink? Our hope for the week is to RELAX -- spend time at our villa, the pool, the beach. Is there a great local drink that we should enjoy? Best place for a quiet drink out? Best place for a fun place to drink with live music?

5. Because we're near Cruz Bay we're hoping we won't need to rent a jeep. Any thoughts on that? Are we going to be stuck in "tourist-trap" mode if we don't have transportation?

6. Cellphone. We have verizon, and figure it would be safest to get an AT&T GoPhone and turn off our regular cellphones and use wifi only. Is that still the best plan?

7. What is one "don't miss" thing that we should do or see?

Thanks for all the help! I've enjoyed reading the threads and seeing some friendly people talk about a place they obviously love. Now that the wedding is done we can finally get excited about our trip!

R+L
Last edited by ca-caw on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beesmom

Re: Oh no! First-timers leaving in a week, lots of questions

Post by Beesmom »

Red Hook Ferry is simple. Get your bags, go to the Taxi Dispatcher, and he'll put you in a taxi (a van in this case with other people).

It's been a long time since I've used traveller's checks. Cash is preferred in many places but CCs are accepted. You can walk to the bank from where you are staying.

Most restaurants are casual; from what I understand, make a reservation for Zozo's.

Painkillers and Bushwhackers are fairly tasty drinks :wink: You will be fairly close to the Beach Bar which also has pretty decent food and occasionally live music.

Not having a jeep, at least for a couple of days means spending money on taxis to get to most beaches. The good news is you can hike the Lind Point trail behind the National Park office to some very nice beaches (about 45 minutes so don't load up on stuff - towels, some water, sunblock). Salomon, Honeymoon, and the Caneel beaches can be reached from there.

Enjoy and Congratulations!
-Sandy
dhanc1

Post by dhanc1 »

1. Have cash and it will run app $20/person
2. I would carry some cash as a lot of the small mom and pop eateries, bars, shops etc. may not take travelers checks.
3. Yes on reservations. ---La Tapa, Terrace and a number of other places within walking distance of Gallows are comparable to Zozo's but Zozo's is usually close to the top of everyone's list.
4.Best drink, alcohol.---Beach bar--You can't miss from Gallow.--The Gekko-- Too many to name. Just walk around town and take your pick
5.Definate yes on renting a jeep. To access the beaches, especially if you go to Coral Bay, you'll need a jeep. One of the main reasons to go to St John is the beauty of the place. Ride the island and just look. Go to off the beaten path beaches etc. If money is a consideration, I'd cut back somewhere else.
6. I have Verizon and it has always worked fine. I've never seen a big increase in my bill. If you are in Coral Bay, you need to be careful as the signal may be picked up by a tower in the BVI's.
7. You'll have to figure that one on your own. To each his own but it is all beautiful. I would encourage you to limit time at the pool and chill on the gorgeous beaches. You can chill by the pool at home and there's nothing like relaxing on a beach, any beach in St John.

BTW---We've stayed at Gallows numerous times. You'll enjoy it. Beautiful grounds, units and very good staff-----Good luck and congrats
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

The first thing you should do is visit St. John Spice (a cute little 2nd floor shop right near the ferry dock) and buy a couple of the new VIOL ID bracelets so you can meet new friends from this forum! A lot of them seem to hang out at the Beach Bar. You might see us there on July 10. We're arriving that day and spending the first night in Cruz Bay. After that we'll mostly be in Coral Bay, but we hope to take advantage of Happy Hour on that first night, and would love to meet some other forumites.

Here's a picture from 2009 to help identify us. Richard is easy to spot - he always looks like a tie-dyed Santa Claus (usually brighter than in this picture, in fact). I was trying to embed a picture, but with no luck. Here's a link. https://picasaweb.google.com/1093018003 ... 3236153586
ca-caw

Post by ca-caw »

Thanks everyone! I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I think we can cram a lot of research into the next week and be close to prepared for our departure. I guess if we don't do *everything*, we'll be forced to go back and visit some day!
Beesmom wrote:Not having a jeep, at least for a couple of days means spending money on taxis to get to most beaches. The good news is you can hike the Lind Point trail behind the National Park office to some very nice beaches (about 45 minutes so don't load up on stuff - towels, some water, sunblock). Salomon, Honeymoon, and the Caneel beaches can be reached from there.

Enjoy and Congratulations!
-Sandy
Thanks Sandy! Great advice about beaches and the Lind Point Trail. We're not big hikers, but we do want to see the island, so a hike will be good!
dhanc1 wrote:4.Best drink, alcohol.
dhanc1, you are correct! Beach Bar sounds great, but it looks like we'll have plenty of places to walk to and find a great place for a drink. Also your advice on a Jeep and not chilling by the pool too much, is great. Thanks!
dreamshark wrote:Richard is easy to spot - he always looks like a tie-dyed Santa Claus (usually brighter than in this picture, in fact).
Thanks Sharon! This being my first post, I don't feel I have a connection with anyone here yet, and as it's our honeymoon, we will be definitely be having some quiet time alone :wink: , but if we see you, we'll be sure to say "hi" to you guys. The photo you posted is great!

I'd welcome any more advice or thoughts, but this is a great start! Thanks!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

My advice is don't try to do everything...there is no way that you can on your first visit and if you try, you'll forget to relax!!!! I know, because I am guilty of this tactic :roll:

Take one day at a time, see where it takes you and soak it all in. You'll be back, not to worry.........

Congratulations and ENJOY!!!!

PS...get a car, at least for a day or two 8)
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

First, congratulations on your wedding.

Second, the best advice I received - and now give to everyone who asks - is to relax and get on "Island Time." Nothing is "required" of you. Do something, to lots of things, or do nothing at all. Just do what feels right for you.

As for the many questions, that is normal. The answer to many of your questions will be different for different people. Many of them will come from your experiences - and not ours.

The taxis are, at last check, $15 per person and $3 per bag. For most couples, that will be $39 to $45 plus tip. A $5 to $10 tip seems appropriate. If you take a private taxi like Rachel's, it will cost $50 plus a $5 to $10 tip. The advantages of the private taxi are that they are waiting for you when you arrive, they leave when you get in (as opposed to waiting for the van to fill up), and they take you directly to your destination. The public taxis may take you directly to the ferry or may make many stops along the way.

Cash is always good. Many places take Visa, MC and AmEx. There are cash-only businesses.

Most places are casual. A few may be a little more upscale.

My favorite is a bushwacker. Others are partial to a painkiller. The recipies are on the Beach Bar and Woody's web sites. I've tried making them at home, but it is never the same. I guess I'll have to go back to get the real thing.

Rent a Jeep at least part of the time. There is so much to see that you can't reach without one. It's not how many minutes you breath in this life; it's how many of those moments take your breath away. There are so many places on STJ that will do that.

We have been picked up by BVI towers on our ATT phones while on north beaches. Be careful. It is expensive.

My don't miss thing is different than yours or Eagle Ray Lover's or Chicagoan's. For some it's a great meal, for others it is a particular beach where they were married, taught their children how to snorkel, or scattered the ashes of a loved one. For me it is a day scuba diving the Rhone. For you it may be watching the Sun set from the porch of your place at Gallows Point. Don't worry. You will find it and know it when you do. If you don't find it next week, return another time; and, with your favorite frozen drink in your hand, search again until you do find it.

Keep your eyes open. Look around. There are so many sights and so many interesting stories. The most important thing to remember is that you CANNOT do it all in 9 days.

Have a great trip, and don't use up all the fun while you are there.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

ca-caw

Post by ca-caw »

lisa mcg wrote:My advice is don't try to do everything...there is no way that you can on your first visit and if you try, you'll forget to relax!!!!
Ahh! Great advice!
jimg20 wrote:Rent a Jeep at least part of the time. There is so much to see that you can't reach without one.
Jim, you had too much advice to quote, and since Lisa mentioned it too, I'll come back to this one. I guess we get a one-day jeep rental with our Gallows package, so I'll have to pick up another few days. It appears that Courtesy Car Rentals is a decent way to go. Good enough?

Thanks!!!
sherban

Post by sherban »

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy it....St John is awesome!

Here's a few ideas to consider:
Maybe have dinner at Chateau Bordeaux one night to see the view on the "other side" of the island...awesome...
http://goo.gl/maps/pGYPH

Catch drinks at sunset from Beach Bar, Spyglass, or Joes Rum Hut...

Gotta go to a few of the pristine North shore Beaches....I'd suggest a day at Cinnamon and a day at Salomom (moderate hike required)...
http://goo.gl/maps/xAMb6

And if you like to snorkel by all means take a mask and snorkel to every beach you visit and check it out...the snorkeling is the best!

Have fun!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Congratulations on your wedding and welcome to the forum. We will be on island at the same time.

You picked a lovely spot to stay for a first trip. I've stayed at Gallows many times and it is a wonderful property. Did you book an ocean view unit? If yes, your unit's balcony will have amazing sunset views. I recommend stocking in some bubbly and enjoying that view from the privacy of your patio. You are on your honeymoon, right :wink:

Make a reservation for Zozos. Email john@zozs.net for a reservation. Book 6PM for the sunset viewing, but if you have the ocean view unit I would watch from there and then go to Zozos around 8.

Definitely rent a jeep for as much of your stay as you can. The taxis only go to limited areas of the island, and there is so much to explore.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

If you haven't purchased a copy of Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive do so! It will get you to the best beaches and provide invaluable snorkeling advice...
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Everyone has given great advice already - here are a few thoughts.

When you rent a Jeep, ask the folks at Gallows how to get to the North Shore Rd. This drive will give you a wonderful flavor of St John. You will see see some amazing views on the overlooks of the various beaches. If you plan to get groceries, pack a lunch and drive down the Northshore Rd. Visit Hawksnest, Cinnamon, Trunk Bay or Maho Bay, They are all stunningly beautiful and wonderful for hanging out. We especially like Trunk Bay on the far right hand side - as you are standing on the beach looking at the water. Its a scenic spot with clear, shallow turquoise water for hanging out together in the water, and shady spots if you don't want too much sun. If you don't pack a lunch, you can get lunch at Cinnamon or Trunk Bay. Trunk Bay can get busy when cruise ships are in port, so check the cruise ship schedule before you go. Our other favorite is Maho Bay. Its a gorgeous beach with nice water for swimming, snorkeling or just hanging out. There are no facilities at Maho, so you will need to bring food and drink.

If you like to snorkel, you can do so at any of the beaches mentioned. Its wonderful to see the underwater creation.

Be sure to eat at one of the waterfront spots in Cruz Bay since you will be within walking distance from Gallows. We like Spyglass, because you are on the second story and looking out over the bay. There are a number of great eateries in Wharfside Village that people recommended in this thread.

Fruit smoothies are popular in St John and we enjoy going to the little stand in Cruz Bay, near the Post Office (forgot the name). Their mango and passion fruit smoothies are yummy.

Congratulations and hope you have a wonderful trip!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Do rent a car for as many days as you can. When you take that first drive up North Shore Rd and stop at the first pull over and take a look you will understand why everyone is telling you that. You're going to want to explore the whole island because the whole thing is just so dang gorgeous! Cruz Bay is nice but so much of the island is included in the National Park and I don't think you really get a good appreciation for that unless you get out of Cruz Bay and see just how much of the island is still pristine. Besides, there are some really great almost completely private beaches that would be perfect for a honeymoon couple. Be sure to check out Gibney and my favorite - Jumbie. Get the books recommended here because then you will be able to find these out of the way places without any problem. You might overlook them otherwise. No need to study up ahead of time....that's the best part of the island. Get up in the morning, see how the day looks and then decide where you want to go and what you want to see that day. Congratulations and you WILL enjoy even if you don't fit everything in. No sweat, you WILL come back.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

short and sweet...(and congrats)

Pack half as much and bring twice the cash.

And remember...oh never mind...

just enjoy and let the experience envelope you.

Bigcheezey(as Maho Jim used to call me)
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I will ditto what most everyone else has said. Here are my do's and don'ts

Do:
Rent a jeep for the whole time
Get out and explore as much as you can
Talk to locals
Bring cash
Make a reservation at Zozo's for sunset (now, don't wait until you get there)

Don't:
Plan each and every minute, give in to island time
Overpack, no long pants or high heels
Bother with Travelers Checks