New Go-to Spots to Eat

Travel discussion for St. John
News of St. John

New Go-to Spots to Eat

Post by News of St. John »

Donkey Diner was my go-to breakfast spot, and Cafe Roma was my go-to dinner spot. We arrive in three days (so excited!!) and my two favorite spots are closed. What are your go-to spots and why do you like them so much?

Ps: My go-to cold beverage spot is the Beach Bar. :)
Jenn, News of St. John
bdkane

Re: New Go-to Spots to Eat

Post by bdkane »

I hear you - definitly my favorites,
Jakes is a close second for breakfast, and Im a big fan of Cruz Bay Prime
Enjoy your trip
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

We are Lime Inn and Banana Deck fans...ALWAYS good food and ALWAYS good service. Also, Jakes for breakfast or sandwiches from Deli Grott to take to the beach. We love High Tide for drinks but will definately check out Motu. Also the Barefoot Cowboy is on our list of MUST DO's. I've read good things about the food and the service.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

After skipping it for several years (no particular reason) we returned to the Banana Deck in February and REALLY enjoyed our meal. If leftovers are important to you, chances are you will have some to take home. My husband ordered some sort of pasta dish with shrimp and it was enough for lunch the next day, a rare event as he is a big eater.

Lime Inn is a longtime favorite of ours.

If you happen to need another watering hole, we had a good time at Joe's Rum Hut and enjoyed the comfy lounging at Motu.
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

We are less than four weeks away now and we have always enjoyed a meal or two at Cafe Roma as well.

Old favorites: La Plancha, Beach Bar, High Tide, ZoZo's (no kids this trip so we might just go back!). La Tapa too.

New places on my to-do list: Barefoot Cowboy Lounge, Motu, Joes rum hut, Ronnie's pizza.

We are also doing our first trip with Capt. Brandi this year! After 3 sailing day trips we are really excited about this day! Any lunch ideas? Willy T?
KT
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

My go to''s for lunch - sun dog or Sam and Jack's ( the sandwiches are big enough for two meals)
Dinner- high tide, banana deck, rhumblines,
and now fatty crabs- so delish( and I really though it wouldn't be into that type of food!- really just wanted to go for the recent entertainment of Steely Dan)
Happy hour: spyglass and wings apps, motu
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

KTinTX wrote:We are also doing our first trip with Capt. Brandi this year! After 3 sailing day trips we are really excited about this day! Any lunch ideas? Willy T?
You might enjoy stopping at Cooper Island for lunch and snorkeling Cistern Rock there too.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Its likely that in a few weeks we will hit our old reliables of Shipwreck and Sun Dog for lunch, and Lime Inn, Zozos, & Rhumblines for dinner.

What are the current favs or newer spots for breakfast in Cruz Bay, either sit down or grab n go?

Also (dumb question) - where is Jakes?
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

KTinTX wrote:We are also doing our first trip with Capt. Brandi this year! After 3 sailing day trips we are really excited about this day! Any lunch ideas? Willy T?
You are going to love Captain John. We're going with him on Monday and I am very excited. The Willy T is pretty tasty and is a good option. I've eaten there twice. I think we are going to have lunch at Pirate's this time around. I adore that place. I've never had lunch there because Captain John has cautioned that the service is slow, but we are going to give it a try this time around.

I haven't tried Motu but I am meeting someone there Friday night. I'll let you all know how it is. Banana Deck is definitely a great spot too. The portions are huge. Deli Grotto is also tasty. I've found that it's quicker to call ahead because they get very busy.

Thanks for all of the great tips!
Jenn, News of St. John
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Exit Zero wrote:You might enjoy stopping at Cooper Island for lunch and snorkeling Cistern Rock there too.
We ate there in February and very much enjoyed the overall experience. The setting is lovely, the service good and the food tasty. We were pleasantly "shocked" the very reasonable prices for many of the NZ and European whites on the white list. Normally, I am a beer or cocktail gal on vacation but the selection and price of was too good to pass up.

Later in the week we talked to two other charter captains and it seems like Cooper is doing it right.
54b

Post by 54b »

Breakfast - Always go to Deli Groto at least twice a trip for their version of the Egg McMuffin; Looking forward to trying Cafe Livin' this trip and Miss Lucy's Sunday Brunch

Lunch - Always make it a point to go to Skinny Legs (bleu cheese burger/coconut swizzle) and Vie's (garlic fried chicken) and Tourist Trap (lobster roll); also DG lunch sandwiches to go; Don't have a new lunch place on tap for this trip

Dinner - Rhumblines (Scotts Szechuan Tuna/mojito du jour), Shipwreck (usually the special), Beach Bar (Blackened Mahi sandwich), and Uncle Joe's BBQ To Go (chicken and ribs); (Cafe Roma was on this list too); Looking forward to trying Aqua Bistro (Ponzu Tuna Night) I keep hearing so much about

KTinTX - Love Captain John, he will not steer you wrong...if you've never been to the Willy T, I think it's definitely worth doing at least once. Definitely ask what the catch of the day is when you get there. They usually run out of it quick, especially if it's Swordfish, so get there early.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

When we went with Capt. John we had lunch at Seddy's One Love on White Bay...just down the beach from the Soggy Dollar. We liked it. Very chill, tables on the beach, shaded by trees. All of the seafood is very fresh. I had a lobster roll that was pretty darn good. If I remember correctly, there were guys in row boats bringing in freshly caught lobster as we were having lunch. Can't get much fresher than that.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
toni

Post by toni »

jmq wrote: Also (dumb question) - where is Jakes?

Jakes is in the upstairs upper section of the Lumberyard, where the old Chilly Billy's was.

YUMMY :)