Donkey Diner closed?

Travel discussion for St. John
carron

Donkey Diner closed?

Post by carron »

Attempted to go to Donkey Diner the other day and it was closed. Someone with a delivery for them was also surprised. Phone is disconnected when attempting to call. Does anyone on island have any information?
News of St. John

Re: Donkey Diner closed?

Post by News of St. John »

I hope not! I really enjoy it there.
Jenn, News of St. John
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

I read the following in the St John Source on May 1st

"St. John: On April 20 police received a report that a burglary had occurred at Donkey Diner in Coral Bay. The burglar(s) stole a black, gray and white cash register containing money. If you know anything about this burglary please let us know."

I hope this has nothing to do with the "closing".
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
ccinhbg

Post by ccinhbg »

nothing on their web site indicating they are closed. Maybe it was just a limin time for them
kklay

Post by kklay »

Some friends of mine were on St. John for a little over 3 weeks in March and early in their trip they stopped and ate breakfast - no issues. Towards the end of their trip they stopped in again (around 9 AM) and only the cook was there - said he was waiting on the rest of the crew to show up! They ended up eating at Pickles and really enjoyed their food.
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

I saw this on Craigslist a few days ago. I was a bit taken aback by it...

Line cook/pizza cook/prep cook (St. John, USVI...coral bay)
Part time line cook position available. Breakfast knowledge a must. Pizza knowledge helpful, but will train if needed. Open 7am until 1pm, 4 days a week....2 days open until from 8am - 8pm. Closed Mondays. Timeliness is a number one priority. If you're always late, don't bother applying. No drunks or drug addicts need apply, either. Compensation depends on experience.
Jenn, News of St. John
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

WOW - looks like the Donkey Diner should be searching for a Director of Human Resources too!! :shock:

If I'm not mistaken, aren't they under new management?
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
sloopjones

Post by sloopjones »

Today they were open and busy this AM at 9:30 .

sloop
do you believe what you see or see what you believe
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Maybe has something to do with this ???
From CRAIGSLIST today

"Owner must leave island for family medical emergency and is selling popular Coral Bay breakfast spot ''THE DONKEY DINER''. Huge potential for working owner or family run business with breakfast lunch and dinner options. Newly enhanced outdoor area with new pergola that expands shaded seating area. Cozy outdoor back patio dining a favorite. This opportunity allows buyer to take over the only breakfast restaurant in Coral Bay. Lunch/Dinner Pizza business offers additional revenue with minimal overhead. Numerous growth and improvement opportunities for this long running standard in Coral Bay. Extensive inventory of new equipment, tools and supplies

This chance to own an iconic Coral Bay restaurant will not last long. Deeply branded, with dedicated local and tourist regulars this breakfast spot is ideal for a family or couple looking to relocate to St John and run an easy yet successful business. Recent upgrades greatly improve efficiency while reducing expenses. Multiple income sources makes the upward potential very attractive for a go getter. Huge outdoor space allows for numerous uses; expanded dining, live music, weddings and events. Pizza and dinner business has tremendous potential in sleepy Coral Bay where few options or competition exist.

Essentially uncharted merchandise business offers easy supplemental income with endless catchy slogans and merchandise options, including - childrens clothing, t- shirts, coozies, cups/mugs, aprons, hats, stickers, cook books, maps, stuffed animals and toys, beach gear and so much more.

Lengthy list of tools, kitchen supplies and equipment, along with the website, menus, merchandise and marketing material make this COMPLETELY TURNKEY. "

http://virgin.craigslist.org/bfd/3801851304.html
mlr214

Post by mlr214 »

This is all very interesting. We were there last week. Last year we really enjoyed pizza so were all ready for it Wed night. We tried calling and line was disconnected. We went over and ordered pizza. The vibe of the place was completely different from last year and super slow service but pizza was good. Hope that someone buys the place and returns it to fun place it was.