Growling at Haulover North

Travel discussion for St. John
dreamshark

Re: Growling at Haulover North

Post by dreamshark »

I assume we are talking about feral pigs, not actual wild boar, right? Because the only animals on St. John were brought here deliberately. And who would bring a bunch of actual wild boar?
hugo

Post by hugo »

Who would bring a bunch of wild boar? The same people who brought white-tail deer: people who liked to hunt. The boars have interbred with domestic pigs to varying degrees, but look pretty boar-ish still.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thank God no one likes to hunt poisonous snakes!!!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From my town in NH

It is that time of year again, when the bears have come out of hibernation, and the Police Department has already responded to calls for the report of black bears in residential areas. It appears the bears are feeding off of the resident’s bird feeders, which have not been taken down.

Last year, and in years past, motorists have stopped, exited their vehicles and attempted to photograph the bears. Police are asking that you do not do this, as it causes disruption to traffic, and puts the motorist at risk for injury, both from other motorists, and potentially from the bear(s).

It is important to take down bird feeders and maintain a clean property, so as to not attract the bears.

Police are warning citizens not to approach these bears. It is always important to give wildlife their space and respect. Please follow the attached recommendations if you should happen to have a bear encounter.

What you should do if you encounter a black bear

Normal trail noise should alert bears to your presence and prompt them to move without being noticed. However, if you see a bear, keep your distance. Make it aware of your presence by clapping, talking or making other sounds.
If a bear does not immediately leave after seeing you, the presence or aroma of food may be encouraging it to stay. Remove any sight or smell of foods. Place food items inside a vehicle or building. Occupy a vehicle or building until the bear wanders away.
Black bears will sometimes "bluff charge" when cornered, threatened or attempting to steal food. Stand your ground and slowly back away.
Enjoy watching black bears and other wildlife from a distance. Respect them and their right to live in wild New Hampshire.
Black bears do not typically exhibit aggressive behavior, even when confronted. Their first response is to flee. Black bears rarely attack or defend themselves against humans
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Hugo, this is the sound. It happened once, and we stopped a second and looked around and had started walking again, when the second sound started. They were spaced like they are after the first couple of vocalizations on this recording. This recording was the second google hit for "wild boar sound," when I searched it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjNPGWdwFI
That's exactly what it sounded like. Someone else postulated that that would be about the same time someone would pause between tugs on a boat or kayak, hauling it out of the water. The post is not meant to alarm - it was posted out of curiosity.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

hugo

Post by hugo »

Yep, that video does sound like wild boar--but it's the sound they make that's closest to deer grunting. Deer grunting has suddenly become a very common sound here, and I'd be willing to bet that's what you heard.http://www.myoan.net/huntingart/deer_calls.html
Was very freaked-out myself the first several times I heard it.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for the link, Hugo. One of those sounds did sound like what we heard, though there was no repeat on the recording, and the repeat seemed to be a factor in identification.
Like we're taught in medicine: "If you see hoof prints, look for horses, not zebras!" :)
sherban

Post by sherban »

I wonder if these things are good for pulled pork sandwiches?
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

I have to admit that's a pretty scary sounding growl.