Spirit Air

Travel discussion for St. John
seagrape

Spirit Air

Post by seagrape »

Hi All. Tell me about Spirit Airlines. Never tried them. We could save $800 overall for flying them at Christmas. On time status? Seats? I'm assuming no first class :) Just need them from Ft. Lauderdale to STT RT. Thanks forum friends!
Seagrape
Pia

Re: Spirit Air

Post by Pia »

Most uncomfortable plane I have ever sat in !!

They charge you for e v e r y t h i n g - want to assign yourself a seat $1.00 to $50.00 per seat, want to check a bag $30.00 for your first bag, $40.00 for your second bag, want to carry on a bag $35.00 (if done at time of booking) $40.00 at time of check in $50.00 if you show up at the airport with a carry on bag and haven't pre-paid, - and yes you read that right $40.00 per carry on bag, overweight bag (and overweight on Spirit is 41 lbs) 41lbs to 50lbs $25.00, 51 lbs to 70lbs $50.00. You even have to pay for drinks (water, soda etc)

Now for $800.00 it might be worth it but knowing how much crap you bring (sorry really important valuable items for your new build :) ) I'm not sure how much of a savings it would be.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Pia is correct, my friend flew them once....felt service was really poor and the addons were astounding.
Cobraarvey

Post by Cobraarvey »

I'm using Spirit for my flight to STJ on 4/13. I've used Spirit dozens of times over the last 5 years flying to FLA. I'm a $9 fare Club Member, and for $19.95 you often end up almost paying for the fee on your first flight. Only issue I've ever had was weather related, flying out of Phila., PA in February, but that would not be an issue for you. Yes, you must be very careful of extra charges for seating, bags, etc. when you book. However, with some common sense, and planning you can really save money. As has been discussed numerous times on this forum, packing light is recommended when visiting STJ, so one checked bag @ $30 ($20 for $9 Club) isn't that great a cost. I also take a small carry on that fits under the seat with snorkel mask/fins, and don't get charged extra. One personal item per passenger is free, as long as it is 16 X 14 X 12. One caution: If you don't want to pay extra for pre-booking your seat, make sure you are at the airport a minimum of 1 1/2 hours ahead of your scheduled flight, or you will end up on stand by. Again, planning and common sense will save you substantial money. For $800 savings, I can live without a drink on a flight.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Pia is spot on, you literally feel like the seat in front of you is in your lap. And when they say you can carry on 1 personal item they mean it, if you have a small purse strapped across you and a backpack you better put the purse in the backpack or they will pull you out of line. I really hate flying with them and you are nickeled and dimed to death :(
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

6 inches of white stuff and thunder-snow storms here in MSP today. Sorry, but I'd fly in the cargo area right now to get to STJ!!!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
happytraveler

Post by happytraveler »

I would agree with everything said. Spirit has only one reason for its existence. To make money. And what they offer, and don't offer, is for just that reason. If you understand and accept that, go for it. There is no first class. There is no class at all. To be even comfortable you have to pay for assigned seats, pay for carryons, pay for checked bags, pay for a decent size seat, etc. While I accepted all that, my major problem was an unplanned (I say that hopefully) flight cancelation. I had a reservation from FLL to STT six months in advance. No problem. Made all my plans around it, villa and rental car. Then, about 30 dates before departure, I am notified they cancelled our Tuesday return and put us on the Wednesday return. That was disasterous. Could not extend villa stay (thank goodness for Cruz Bay Inn) and had to turn car in day before. Spirit's response was sorry, but the contract says we may cancel. Only offer was accept the new schedule (with all additional expenses being mine to deal with) OR get full refund. That was no choice. Could never find a new flight for anything near reasonable and too late to cancel villa rental. I was furious and Spirt did not give a damn. I will never fly with Spirit again. I can only suggest there is a reason why they can offer you such savings up front. Just hope it is worth it in the end. For me it wasn't.
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

Yikes! We'd only have one carry-on bag as most of our stuff is at our villa already. Still, have to wonder if this may be a big mistake. Thanks for the info...
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

We got a great deal back in 2010 for flights from Chicago to STT for about $250 on Spirit. My husband is 6'3" and after that trip he said he would never flight Spirit again and it was the most uncomfortable flight of his life. We refused to pay booking fees and got to the airport early. We were able to be seated together but in the last two rows of the plane (which was actually fine for us since we were travelling with a toddler). That was before the fees for carry-on bags etc. If I could get a flight for that price again, I'd consider it, but I think the days of cheap flights are over.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Haven't tried Spirit, but am keeping them in mind as an option as they are now flying (intermittently) from MSP->STT. Clearly if you are going to use them you need to accept that they are an a la carte airline with a "Frankly, I don't give a damn" attitude. At least they're honest and upfront about the attitude.

From what I've read, it is more than worthwhile to pay the $50 for the bigger seat. The luggage fees and booking fees need to be factored into the cost too. It sounds like it would also be a good idea to get trip insurance to cover unexpected cancellations and hotel costs. If you add it all up and it still saves you hundreds of dollars, it might be worth doing. Just bring a couple of bottles of water in your carry-on and hope for the best.

For a while they were running an MSP->STT flight for something like $159. Even with all the extra costs factored in, it was a huge savings over any other airline. What stopped me was the 7 hour pre-dawn layover in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm pretty sure that after the 4th hour of huddling in a darkened airport waiting for the coffee shop to open I'd be willing to pay $500 just for a place to lie down. Oy. If they ever put up a more humane itinerary at a price like that - I'd be willing to chance it.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have flown Spirit several times to STT and also to NY .. they do charge for a seat..if you want to pay for one..we dont...we wait til we get to the airport and they assign us one..we have always sat together with no problems and often get better seats because the cheap ones have been purchased..They do charge if you check a bag...but so does Delta...US air..and most others, We each take a backpack with Camera stuff and our masks..I have one thats a cooler so I carry on the frozen things and have room for goodies on the way back...You are allowed one carry on...and a personal Item...such as purse or briefcase...its in the fine print on their website....Yes they do charge for sodas, water, snacks, etc...but at most we are on the plane for 2.5 hrs ..from Ft lauderdale..I just take a bottle with me from the airport...no biggie...I will say this in their defense...I have never ( knock on wood) been late arriving or leaving, but we have had good luck with them are booked with them next month to NYC. and as stated before...to save 800.00 I wouldnt think twice about it...hope this helps...:)
[/url]
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

I did a red eye from LAX to FLL to STT once. Was able to purchase the 'Big Front Seat' for a deal and loved it. I sat next to an expat that lived in Belize, fun conversation. I think the whole trip was $350, but it was several years ago. I have no complaints because they are a discount airline, and their model is to charge a-la-cart. Just do the math. I have friends near by that use Spirit all the time to go between island and Myrtle Beach. The $9 Club can pay off big time. It's no frills, not a full fare airline. Don't worry, save that $800 for other stuff.
54b

Post by 54b »

Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na...not listening...I already booked on Spirit out of Dallas/Ft. Lauderdale/STT this June...on the previous 5 trips, we only flew American, but it was $1000 cheaper this time for the 3 of us on Spirit including prepaid seats and checked bags and $5 cokes and $2 toilet paper and the $9 Something Club that I'm still not sure why I joined except for the email I get every week congratulating me on accumulated 0 miles thus far...I couldn't not do it.

So please respect my right to live in denial for two more months as I am also 6'3" and have a history of not doing well with non-plussed and under-caffeinated flight attendants:

"Pardon me, mam."
"Yes?"
"I know this plane is landing in Miami, but is it also the same plane that is going on to St. Thomas?"
"What does your ticket say?"
"You mean besides, 'Don't Feed The Bears?'"
"That's not funny, sir."
"Okay, could we ask the pilot if this is the same plane to St. Thomas?"
"No, but you can ask the air marshals when we get to Miami."
"That's not funny."
"I wasn't joking."

Whoops.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
RickG

Post by RickG »

seagrape, we've done Spirit and its worked. It's low rent and there's no room for error. If you miss a connection, they'll get there in a couple of days. I was travelling with my daughters, and my youngest has a bit of anxiety when Dad's not right there to hang on to. Yep, cost me $$$ to get seats together, and that ate up a lot of our savings.

For two, $800 is a lot of $$$. I'd probably do it, and bitch if it did not work out. How much is your time worth? I usually call it $300 per day per person for vacation. Running to catch a boat, more $$$. My math says $800 is worth the risk of a single day.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
loria

Post by loria »

i woul d agree with Rick here-- as long as you have eyes wide open and know the rules and can deal with what has really turned into every airlines crap-- for 3 hours-- you are fine. i haven;t flown them in a while, but when i did it was around christmas ( family was flying american on miles for the most part--) and it was pretty seamless......and in and out of ft lauderdale you wont run into weather delays (at least at that time of the year usually!)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>