Vistas for Full Moon photos

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

Vistas for Full Moon photos

Post by SuefromMA »

We will be on St. John for the full moon in April. We would love some suggestions regarding where we might be able to get some great photo opportunities for the full moon.

People have suggested Ram's Head trail - but, I am not a very "cliff-friendly" person. So, that hike will "not" be among my first choices that night.

Would love any and all suggestions for great viewing spots.

Thanks!
Sue (& Jim)
pmk

Re: Vistas for Full Moon photos

Post by pmk »

Are you looking for a landscape type of shot with moon in the background or a decent shot of the full moon?

I ask because the moon is really bright and if you shoot it looking for detail, it going to be at a pretty high shutter speed that won't be good for capturing the landscape. If you're more interested in the landscape lit by the moon, you'll probably need a tripod and take it the shot for a number of seconds (and the moon will appear simply as a bright white light). Shots that have both the moon and landscape in detail tend to be taken at dawn or dusk.

Here's a shot of the moon - it's taken at 1/320 sec. at 5.6. To get a clear shot of just the moon go as high up Bordeaux as possible to get out of the humidity.

As an example of a landscape shot, here's a STJ shot at Cinnamon Bay taken for 20 seconds at 2.8. If this is more what you're looking for, you can shoot pretty much anywhere: Cruz Bay Harbor, various beaches that have palm trees in the foreground, view of Coral Bay from the road... It might be really cool to shoot a timelapse moon shot through a window at Annaberg or Peace Hill windmill.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

The full moon over the water at Miss Lucy's is fabulous! (and great food)
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Definitely thinking more of a landscape shot.

Can't believe it - but, I was totally thinking wouldn't it be cool to get a shot thru the window of some ruins! My goodness - us New England minds think alike.

We are not photography experts by any stretch of the imagination. But, we do like to have fun and dabble. Course we just found out yesterday that Inner Visions will be playing that night at High Tide - so, getting "that full moon shot" has gone into Second Place in order of importance for that night!!

Thank you both for the great ideas.
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

Wow pmk! Beautiful shots!
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

WOW...gorgeous pictures...
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

@SuefromMa, did I read correctly Inner Visions will be playing for April full moon? I checked their site and date wasn't listed. That would be great! We are hoping to do sunset/moon rise at Ram Head, this would certainly be a nice way to end the day!
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

"Yes" - per email conversation, someone at High Tide did say that Inner Visions will be playing at High Tide on Thursday, April 25th. They wrote 9:00 in the email. But, I am not sure if that is when they start or stop. So, trying to get that confirmed.

But, in any event, it is awesome news. We were lucky enough to catch them last year at The Beach Bar and it was truly the high point of our trip. (Okay - maybe the painkillers helped them reach that #1 spot. LOL) But, truly an amazing night.

Can't wait to see them again. We will have to PM before the trip so that we can meet up and say "hi". Enjoy your hike. Wish I were more daring and ambitious. But, we will just be chilling somewhere!

Hope to see you!
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

That sounds great, please keep us posted! Although we are staying on Coral Bay side so not sure how we feel yet about the ride back in dark.

Don't totally rule out Ram Head. It's been a couple years since I have been, from what I recall it is more the top that has the cliffs, however is also fairly large and open. I don't recall any major cliffs right off/on the trail, again it's been about 5 years though, so maybe someone will correct me. Regardless, it truly is amazing once you reach the top!
loria

Post by loria »

ask Jimmy if he is taking Kiote on a full moon sail in april-- he is on Facebook (kiote sails)
not only will you have a wonderful view-- you will be sailing -- out to rams head! see the sunset on one side of the boat and the moonrise on the other-- in and out of coral bay-- it is a wonderful evening!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
AllenB

Post by AllenB »

Were here now....total cloud cover :cry:
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Inner Visions usually starts between 8:30-9:00 on High Tide nights!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting