It's like another free carry-on

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

It's like another free carry-on

Post by mindehankins »

I’m at home sick today, and lacking energy to do anything productive, but I thought I’d take the time to share something that might be of interest to some people here. I bought a jacket for Blaine for Christmas from this company, and he tried it out last month and loved it, so I bought myself the vest. It’s basically like adding another carry-on, with all it’s pockets. I tried it on this morning, and I could easily fit all my electronics in it – ipad, kindle, camera and accessories, phone, cords, ipod, and it really wasn’t uncomfortable. It got heavier, but it’s engineered to distribute the weight as comfortably as possible. You don’t have to pull all of your gear out of a bag at security – just lay the jacket in the bin. I bought the XL even though it's a bit big, for the extra capacity.
Here are some pics of my vest. It would make a really great gift for a frequent traveler.
The front – you can see four pockets here:
The back – the whole flap is a large pocket for magazines or ipad:
The left inside:
The right inside:
There are extras in the pockets, like a cleaning cloth for your glasses, secured inside the glasses pocket, and a key chain inside a side pocket:
And there are loops and such, to keep your headphone cords where you want them:
The only bad thing I have to say about the product is that it comes in advertising packaging, so the contents of the package are no secret. This made me very angry at Christmastime, when it came it the mail, but luckily Blaine wasn’t the one to receive the package. They are expensive, but may be worth it as a personal splurge or gift. The website is http://www.scottevest.com/?var=wht&utm_expid=2567452-35
I have no affiliation with the company, just thought it was a cool enough product to share. Lots of hidden and secure pockets, as well. Thank God it doesn't come with insulated pouches, or I might be carrying our frozen chicken breasts and steaks (and butter) in it :lol: Happy Saturday, everybody!
Bigcheeze

Re: It's like another free carry-on

Post by Bigcheeze »

Hope u feel better...Now is better to be sick than 10 days from now.
CBama

Post by CBama »

great idea !! we did the same with our rain jackets in Europe. easy jet limits to one carryon with no personal item but we would fill our pockets and tie jacket around us
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

This is ANOTHER great example of WHY I love this forum! I will store this idea in my brain for using on our next trip....which will be delayed, because we will have 4 kids in college at the same time this Sept., and my wife is back in college too....so a total 5 in college at the same time means no money for the Rock for a while>>> :(
Tom in CT
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

That is so cool. I bookmarked the site.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I like these...thanks...would be prefect for our trip to NYC..:)
[/url]
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Try coupon code "special20" to help a little ( pays shipping at least)
Love it!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

They have sales ALL the time, too. But read the fine print about returns - there are limitations on returns for sale merchandise. Maybe a 7 day window, or something like that?
scoob

Post by scoob »

I'm sorry, but I couldn't use the vest.
I have trouble enough finding my keys or phone in my pockets !! :?
At my advanced age (57) ,the simpler the better. :lol:
I couldn't even make it out the door- I would double check and inventory all the pockets and drive myself crazy !! :lol:

Scoob
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Minde, that is ULTRA COOL!! Thanks! :D
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

I got a similar vest for a trip to Europe, and have kind of a love/hate relationship with it. I have to tell you that I found it pretty uncomfortable to wear on the plane. Yes, you can get a lot of stuff in the pockets, but then you have bulges and lumps all over your body. If I wear mine on the plane again I think I'll just stuff all the pockets with handkerchiefs and silk scarves, and maybe my smart phone in the upper left pocket.

On the other hand, it was great for hiking around in Europe - I used it instead of a purse. For a different trip I bought a windbreaker from Travelsmith with at least 6 pockets. As @scoob says, the biggest problem was remembering which pocket I put things in - particular when I wore the windbreaker and the travel vest at the same time!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Reminds me of Inspector Gadget.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I imagine it will take some getting used to - to know where to reach for each item. I don't expect to use every pocket or feature, but I will like having my electronics and money/ID on me and not having to pull them out of my backpack. And it'll leave more room in the backpack.
Not for everybody, but probably great for somebody :)