North Shore road or Centerline road?

Travel discussion for St. John
mlr214

North Shore road or Centerline road?

Post by mlr214 »

Hi Everyone,

Last year we stayed in Coral bay and drove North shore road daily instead of Centerline road. We just loved driving through the trees and taking in amazing views. Staying in Coral Bay again this year. Were we missing anything by not taking Centerline? Is it faster/easier drive to Cruz bay? We never made it over for dinner in Cruz bay b/c of drive home but is it easier on Centerline?
Caw954s

Re: North Shore road or Centerline road?

Post by Caw954s »

We stayed in Fish Bay and used Centerline road to get to Coral Bay, Waterlemon, the Reef Bay Trail hike is off Centerline. It would be faster to get from Coral Bay to Cruz Bay, so give it a try next time!
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Last year the North Shore Road was very smoothly paved and the ride was much nicer than on Centerline. I would take Centerline though if it rained, as I've had a slippery time on the North Shore Road. But, you do pass by the ruins at Catherineburg on Centerline if you wanted to stop to see them, and a nice photo op of the North Shore and BVIs.
Tickerless :(
atomant

Post by atomant »

I love the North Shore for the views but the view from Bordeaux is amazing on Centerline and chances of seeing donkeys is better.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

If I'm in a hurry (and goodness knows I try not to let that happen), I take Centerline... But in truth, the North Shore Road only takes about 5 - 7 minutes longer... In Island Time... And it's all so gorgeous...

But yes, the view over Coral Bay from Chateau Bordeaux is magnificent, and you should see it at least once...
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

I guess this has to do with the whole "view" thing, I usually take centerline at night and NS road during the day. To be honest I don't find there to be all that much of a time difference either way, maybe +/- 5-10 minutes at best. I also believe centerline has lights while NS does not :?
lark22

Post by lark22 »

ditto -- NS in the daytime, Centerline at night. I also feel that taking the Northshore road during the day helps ease the "congestion" on Centerline for island residents who use it to commute from one side of the island to the other.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Driving on Centerline doesn't save me much time because I stop at the smoothie stand regardless of my route. :D (Try the Funky Monkey - OMG is it good.) Otherwise I'd say Centerline to save a few minutes, North Shore if you want more views. Hard to go wrong either way so I like to trade off.
mlr214

Post by mlr214 »

Thanks for all the info, would you guys say that Centerline is an easier drive than North shore? Or are there still lots of ups and downs on Centerline to?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

As I recall, it might be a slightly easier drive as far as switchbacks go, but there is much more "local" traffic and fewer places to get out of the way of local traffic.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

We have started to use North Shore Road instead of Centerline because of the view, less traffic and I just feel more at ease on NSR. Centerline has steep drop offs in places, very narrow lanes and no shoulders. I like NSR especially at night or in the rain. True that NSR has switchbacks that can get slick but with 4WD and no one behind you in a hurry it just feels better.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We do both...North Shore on our way to beaches and then Centerline back to Gifft Hill. The drive down from the top is one of my fav drives and by the end of the week I'm cruising like the locals do...what a ride. And you get to see the cattle crossing in the afternoon by the Health Center. But then doing the reverse or cutting across the island is also a great trip...but then theres the first left turn going up Gifft Hill...now that is something to experince.