Full moon hike - Rams Head

Travel discussion for St. John
Rebubula

Full moon hike - Rams Head

Post by Rebubula »

We will be there for full moon in April. Always wanted to do the hike to rams head. Anyone here have any tips, insights, suggestions?
We have done hike before in the day, so know what to anticipate in terms of the hike itself.
Guess I'm wondering what time is best to go for full moon, are there groups that go, can we expect to see others, etc.

Thanks in advance!!
GidgetPicklebrain

Re: Full moon hike - Rams Head

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Full moon is April 25, 6:43 PM. sunset is at 3:39.

We did this hike leaving Salt Pond in the late afternoon so we were at the end of the hike just before sunset. We spread the neatsheet & ate the picnic supper we brought along while we watched the sunset. The moon was already up when we arrived - it was very cool watching the moon rise higher as the sun was setting. We stayed until full dark and then hiked back using flashlights.

Looks like you wil be able to see the moon rise within minutes of the sunset. If you are lucky and have a good sunset you'll have a sky full of color as the moon appears.

At the time we went we were the only ones (other than the goats) the entire time - but we were there in October. In April you are less likely tho have the trail to yourselves.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

You will have a great time, but the full moon will still be quite low in the sky on your return, so make sure that each person in your party has their own flashlight. We tried it once with a shared flashlight, and that was NOT a good idea.

All the best,

Kevin
Lovermont

Re: Full moon hike - Ram Head

Post by Lovermont »

We do a sunset walk to Ram Head a couple of times per trip, not only on Full Moon nights. A matter of fact, I think we've only done it once when there was a full moon, and it was obstructed by clouds. The only tricky part of the hike is when the trail heads up from Blue Cobblestone on that last stretch. Sometimes it's a bit tough to find where the trail goes. Also, make sure you know where the trail leaves Blue Cobblestone on your return trip. We use headlamps, so that we can look like dorks and have our hands free.
You'll have a great time. I think it's the best hike on island.
And, I can't help but mention that it's Ram Head. Singular. No s. Sort of like St. John.
Rebubula

Re: Full moon hike - Ram Head

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks for the insight everyone!! Some things I didn't think about, so I appreciate that.
And thanks for the clarification/correction on Ram Head, not quite the same as St Johns to me but I see where you are coming from :D oversights happen.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We actually hiked the trail once with Lovermont (hello to you your and your mate. How's things in the valley?) and the only thing we can add is that you will probably share the head with others as it is a popular hike. It helps that you know the trail from your way in and can anticipate what comes next on your walk out. The dorky headlamp thing is also recommended but this is the one time that making eye contact is probably not advisable. And keep saying on the way in "Go away clouds."