Low Cost Villas

Travel discussion for St. John
jimg20

Low Cost Villas

Post by jimg20 »

Sorry, but I have to ask the question. I know that this topic has been covered before. I used several search terms and got nowhere.

My wife and I are looking for low cost villas for the two of us May 17th through the 28th. We are not too concerned with the location. We would like to have A/C in the bedroom. We cannot manage too much of a climb, therefore, a single level place would be best. Do any of you have a sugestion?

Thanks in advance.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

khud

Re: Low Cost Villas

Post by khud »

Rosebay, Hawksbill, Jasmine, and Periwinkle are all available and reasonably priced. We stayed at Rosebay 2 years ago and it was perfectly adequate. It's a little worn, like most older villas but not so much as to prove problematic. It is one level and has A/C throughout. The only problem we had was mosquitoes in the bedroom. This cluster of villas are a short distance past Westin. Good Luck!
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

Here are a couple links that I have saved for searches..

http://www.caribehavens.com/index.htm

http://stjohnvillarental.com/finder/

Good luck , and have fun planning!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking into several on St John Vacation Villas.

I have disregarded the Carib Havens web site. That is the company that told one of our Forumites that if she didn't like the price of one of their villas, she should rent a tent. There were several other negative aspects of thier encounter as well.

JIM

PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

Oh my.. how rude of them! I guess I will disguard that site as well. Thanks for the heads up.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

lazylane

Post by lazylane »

The most affordable we have ever stayed in was Periwinkle Cottage in Coral Bay, very convenient locations and at the end of a very private cul de sac. One of the bedrooms has a/c.
http://www.greatcaribbeangetaways.com/
loria

Post by loria »

jim, i pm'ed you about a place thatmight fit your needs--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Thanks Loria. The PM has not gotten here yet. Feel free to email also.

JIM

loria

Post by loria »

done.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

When we were looking for budget accomodations for April, we also disregarded Carib Havens. I can't stand rude people!

Jim, if you'd consider a condo, we found a unit at Lavender Hill that is managed by an on-island company, and we're very happy with the price. The complex gets good reviews. PM me if you need more information.

Dreamshark may have some ideas for you as well - she's done a lot of research!
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

mindehankins wrote: Dreamshark may have some ideas for you as well - she's done a lot of research!
*hee* Well, I do have a spreadsheet... (and clearly too much time on my hands). Let me take a look at the "cheapo" tab.

The cheapest cottages I can find with AC are:
-Samuel's Cottages ($700/wk) in Cruz Bay. Barebones, but convenient to town.
-Coqui Cottage ($600/wk) in Fish Bay. Small and simple, a little out of the way, but has the basics.
-The Cottage ($1120/wk) in Cruz Bay. Kind of a glorified pool cabana, but right in town.
-Cactus Flower Cottage ($1120) in Fish Bay. Cute cottage on owners' property w pool access
-Francesco Sorride ($980) on Calabash Boom. Remote location, barebones, but a standalone villa.

If you are willing to trade a mountaintop location for AC (honest, you can do without it at 800+ feet):
- Creolla ($1050/wk) very private villa at top of Ajax Peak. We stayed here in July, 2009 and loved it.
- Paradise on the Rocks ($850) - lower duplex on Ajax Peak. (Coral Bay)
- Stonegarden Cottage ($850/wk) - lower duplex in Upper Carolina (Coral Bay)
- Bambooshay ($1250/wk) - cottage w/big porch and hammock, Seagrape Hill (Coral Bay)
- Mountain Eyrie ($1000/wk) - cottage on owners' property, Bordeaux Mtn Rd (Coral Bay)

All of the above are single-level but there may possibly be steps involved in getting TO the cottage or apartment; check with owners if it isn't clear. I gave the price per week, but since you are staying 10 days or so, ask if there is a discount per night for longer stays.

I would also have recommended Sailview (3 apartments w/private entrances in Coral Bay) but they are booked up pretty solid. Extremely affordable and everyone seems to love them.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Oh, also look at Star Villas - a small group of what appear to be standalone cottages in Cruz Bay, walking distance from Frank Bay. They vary in size and price, but I think they all have A/C in the bedrooms. I like Frangipani the best (big screened porch, all one level). If you would like to be right in the middle of Cruz Bay, it's hard to beat $165/night. With this location you could probably do without a jeep for all or part of your stay and save even more money.

http://www.starvillas.com/vacation_rent ... os_1br.php
3BeachBabies

Post by 3BeachBabies »

@dreamshark...wow. that was impressive. Do you have a $3500/pool/ac in (2)bdrooms/10min.outside Cruz tab??? :D
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

3BeachBabies wrote:@dreamshark...wow. that was impressive. Do you have a $3500/pool/ac in (2)bdrooms/10min.outside Cruz tab??? :D
My main interest is low-medium priced mountain-top villas in Coral Bay. But I also have a fantasy of just jetting off to STJ for a week on my own sometime and staying someplace really cheap - thus the "CheapoDigs" tab. I'm not intensely interested in the "just south of Cruz Bay" area. But that didn't stop me from replying to your other thread anyway. :lol: I'm the one that suggested that you should go in low season and blow your wad on Bongo Bongo (I also have a tab for "villas I can't afford but love looking at.")

But after looking at your followup comments, I now think you should go for someplace a little cheaper so you can afford the other activities you are obviously dreaming of. If you start right out with a luxury resort, you'll just be spoiled and have to have that every time. You had a good list on your first thread and were getting comments from people who know that area. Last I looked, no one had mentioned "Coconuts" yet. Try searching this forum and you'll see that "Coconuts" is a popular villa with some lovely features, great view, convenient location. And the owner posts on this forum (which means he's a great guy, obviously).