Hello!! (new here)

Travel discussion for St. John
EagleRayLover

Re: Hello!! (new here)

Post by EagleRayLover »

Welcome to the Forum- you will get all the info and lots of opinions here!! We went with two newbie couples in October and they are now hooked!! For outdoor space do you want a pool, hot tub, both? Have fun on e board- people here are great!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
CBama

Post by CBama »

Welcome to the Forum....have fun planning!!!
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

I can understand not wanting to leave home in the nicest month of the year, but low vs. high season makes a huge difference in how much luxury you can afford, especially in your price range.

If you go for low season, you can afford Bongo Bongo, for instance: miles of covered deck, 40-foot pool with hot tub and poolside bar, indoor/outdoor dining areas, outdoor showers, spectacular sunset views, etc., etc. http://www.vrbo.com/247756

If you go in high season you will have to kick it down a couple of notches. I was going to give some examples of what $3500 would get you in high season, but didn't want to make it sound like I was dissing those villas, so I'll let you find your own comparisons. I'll just say that the villas I lust after (like Bongo Bongo) just barely dip into what I consider affordable in the summer, but soar way beyond my price range in the winter. And my affordable range is in the same general vicinity as yours. :wink:
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

3BeachBabies wrote:Thanks everyone!

Villa Budget is $4000 although would really like to be closer to $3500. As of right now, we are thinking Feb but April between prices and all the comments I see about cold/warm ocean water, is tugging at me. I know our coin would go further in April but it's also the nicest weather of the year where we live. Regarding the villa; pool, view and ac in bedrooms. Outdoor space in top of the list for villa 'wants'. We really just want to a week of good vibes, some drinks, tasty food and to be out on the water as much as possible! Although starting to research the cost of said water time is having me rethink villa budget :?

And yes, the 'fun' of planning a full year in advance is what's getting me thru this year when we have no island plans.

Re: leaving the toddlers. We have no family in the US so leaving them is A) a rare treat B) something that take a fair amount of planning to bring family down.

Cheers!
You know, If I were you, I would go when you could save some cash. You will only miss a week or 2 of spring and will save a ton of money! April should be fabulous in St. John! We go in the early summer and it is so pretty! Also, I am a cold water weenie and the water in June is brisk when I first get in. But like I said, I am a cold water weenie. :lol:
Looking forward to learning lots and getting to know you and the island over the coming year.
3BeachBabies

Post by 3BeachBabies »

We are definitely leaning towards April. Saving on the villa = more time on the water! It's funny you mention Bongo Bongo - it's been near the top of my short list since I started the villa hunt. Others we are considering at this point are:

Reef Bay
Tamarindo
Perelandra
Still Waters
Plumeria
Chez Shell
Balance
Mar de Amores
Coconuts
Ebb Tide
and again, Bongo Bongo
edit: oops forgot to add Arc du Soleil to the not-sh-short list :)

I know the short list isn't so short but please feel free to share any comments!
Last edited by 3BeachBabies on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

2 of our favorite villas that we have referred to others, with great success, are Splendore and Allesandra.

Splendore through Vacation Vistas has 2 equal bedrooms and is our favorite villa hands down! It is quiet, peaceful, private, and close to town. The pool and views are to die for!!

Allesandra through Island Getaways is just as wonderful. One bedroom has a king and the other a queen. But the queen has a nice sitting area.

If you are going in April, check these two out. We've been to Allesandra twice and have tried to get back to Splendore, but they are pretty booked!

You'll enjoy April.

Jan
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

I can vouch for Plumeria, I stayed there in October of 2012, it was very nice, bedrooms were air conditioned, pool was beautiful, plenty big and deep enough, deck area and outdoor living room was great, nice big kitchen with everything you need to cook in and the views were stunning especially at sunset. Paul and Alyce were great to work with as well, if you have questions please feel free to PM me :D
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Also check out Seascape. It's on our list of villas to try.
3BeachBabies

Post by 3BeachBabies »

Will do. Thanks!
jan

Post by jan »

Check out Wings over Water. Vacation Vistas handles this property and someone did a detailed trio report with pictures o this forum. This one looks great and is on my list for our next trip.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Wich ever villa you decide on, you might start looking at availabity calendars and book soon. I know our villa is booked solid. I know how excited you are!!! Good luck!
3BeachBabies

Post by 3BeachBabies »

Thanks all!

Appreciate the suggestions. Anyone have a comment or have stayed at others on the list?
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Welcome! We stayed at Balance in July of 2008. We really liked it. The 2 bedrooms are very private since 1 is upstairs. The pool and patio are awesome! Great water views and beautiful landscaping covered in hummingbirds all day long. Nice bathrooms with indoor and outdoor showers though I will warn you, the outside shower is exposed from the waist up! The villa is quite private and I used it all week long. It was about 15 minutes from town, IIRC.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Just so that you are aware - Arc du Soleil has an open living concept so that the central living areas are not screened. Be aware that you will be exposed to mosquitos at dusk and dawn. The bedrooms are closed off so you're OK when you're sleeping.
3BeachBabies

Post by 3BeachBabies »

Thanks Donna. Balance looks beautiful. Good to know about the shower - I had twins two years ago, the other twins paid the price, hopefully the birds won't find me too insulting!

Thanks Lindy, that is really useful info on Arc.