What % DEET should we buy?

Travel discussion for St. John
SoCaTraveler

What % DEET should we buy?

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Hi everyone,

We'll be visiting St. Thomas / St. John in mid- to late-June. I keep reading about all the mosquitos due to the recent rain!

I'm trying to figure out which insect repellent to buy / bring... and with what % DEET. I see everything from 5% to 100%. Most of what I'm looking at has approx. 20-30% DEET. I see some repellents are combined with sunscreen too.

I'd like to buy a product that comes in 4 oz. bottles as we plan to only bring carry-ons. How many bottles will we need for a family of 4 (kids are 16 and 12) for 2 weeks? Does TSA care if we bring the kind in pump type bottles, or do we need to bring the lotion form?

What about non-DEET alternatives? I've read some people like products with Picaridin instead. Any information on how this compares to DEET?

Lastly, what about the insect repellent wipes? How are they, and would they take up too much room in our carry-ons?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Carole
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Hi SoCaTraveler!
I'm not sure what works best, but we were also looking for small size bottles, due to carryon restrictions. We are not checking any bags either. I found a 1oz. pump bottle of Cutter Max 100 with 98.11% deet at Target. I am trying that. Off makes a similar product. I'm not sure how much we will need either, but I figure I will just buy more down there. I didn't want to have to worry about finding it on the first day though.
Good luck and have fun planning!
Image[/url]
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Thanks kygirl.

Currently I have in my amazon.com shopping cart:

Repel 4 oz. 20% DEET / SPF 15 Sun & Bug Stuff Lotion

Maybe 20% is not enough? I hate to dowse the kids (and adults!) if they don't need a higher % however!!
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Guys,
I work with a Travel MD doctor at the hospital and he said no higher than 30% deet. That stuff ain't the best for your system you know. Higher concentration doesn't mean stronger, just lasts for a longer time from what I have been told.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

FYI - TSA rules state that the liquid and lotions must be 3 oz. max. for carry-on not 4 oz.
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Susan & Herb - that's very helpful information... thanks.

Diana2 - That's right... I forgot it's 3 oz.!! I could have blundered over 1 oz. Thank you.
cwaver

altenative to deet

Post by cwaver »

SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Hi cwaver - You know, I have been trying to decide whether or not to try cactus juice. I read quite a number of very good reviews about it on TTOL... then I read a review or two saying it didn't do much. Still, I think I will try it.... I noticed it's also available on amazon.com.

In the mean time, I went to REI today and bought:
(1) Sawyer Controlled Release Low DEET Absorption Formula (20% DEET);
(2) Ultrathon Splash and Sweat Resistant Insect Repellent (34.34% DEET) for the ankles, or if the mosquitos, etc. get really bad;
(3) Sawyer Clothing Insect Repellent (which you spray on your clothes before leaving and it stays in the material for up to 6 weeks or 6 launderings); and
(3) After-Bite, just in case

Something listed above hopefully will work!!

Carole
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

WOW Carol......I was worried about those nasty skeeters as well. I think you have covered your bases. We have a REI close to us. I'm going to get the clothing spray and the one for ankles. I am total bait for mosquitoes and noseeums. Thanks for the research.