21 day food stops some new and old favorites

Travel discussion for St. John
cindygad

21 day food stops some new and old favorites

Post by cindygad »

Back from 21 days in paradise. This year we ate out more than usual. We tried some new places and are old favorites.

We had the polar bear cooler and everything was still frozen even after a night pre trip in Chicago. We also bought the polar bear bear back pack that we used on longer hikes.
Aqua bistro is always our first stop. I crave the grouper sandwich with salad and like the homemade blue cheese dressing.

We tried the new place in Coral Bay Pickles for a sandwich to go. The locals said the breakfast were good there but we never got a chance to try.

La Tapa Gorgonzola Caesar, frisee, romaine, pecan-apple crouton 13$

la Tapa was a first for us. I understand why it gets such good reviews! We tried 4 small plates and shared between the two of us.

La Tapa steamed PEI mussels, white wine, garlic, fresh herbs, lemon & light cream 15$

La Tapa scallops

La Tapa langustino
This was the only thing I was disappointed in for 18$ for 2 I felt was overpriced.

Flour less choc cake was yummy!
The service was very good here.

Vie's is always a favorite of ours and we ate here twice. We had to bring our family back when they came.
Garlic chickenImage

Conch be careful I burned my lip last year they are so hot when they first come out.

We went to Josephine's to get fresh lettuce and little banana breads that Eileen makes from Sail view.

Lime inn on Wed for all you can eat shrimp and I love the Bermuda salad there.We went back when family came and the clam chowder and lobster was tasty. Very good server Jen

My husband loves the fish and chips at Shipwreck I had the mussels. I always need bug spray here.

The Donkey diner has changed hands and we had a really sweet waitress here. The stuffed french toast with mango sauce is my favorite.They now serve sandwiches here and pizza every day.
More later I am slow at this computer stuff.
Last edited by cindygad on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EagleRayLover

Re: 21 day food stops some new and old favorites

Post by EagleRayLover »

Sounds like so,e yummy stuff!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

21 days? That is awesome!

The conch fritter and lobster pics are making me hungry.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Mmmmmmmm! And I've burnt my lip/roof of mouth on Vie's conch fritters, too. It's so hard to wait, when you've been sitting there smelling them!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Thanks for sharing the YUMMY pictures!
Hopefully Donkey Diner has the same recipes, despite new owners. That's one of our faves. Happy to hear they now have pizza daily! And sandwiches! Can't wait to try those out.
Still haven't gotten to enjoy Vie's....she's never open in August when we visit. :(
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Yum, thanks for sharing.

I am jealous of your 21 day stay. I am going to take some notes of your eats for our trip in April. Staying on the East End for the first time!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Sounds like you had some good meals! I agree that the langoustinos are a little pricy at La Tapa, but they are sooooo tasty. We didn't get there last week and I am a little sorry about it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

liamsaunt wrote:Sounds like you had some good meals! I agree that the langoustinos are a little pricy at La Tapa, but they are sooooo tasty. We didn't get there last week and I am a little sorry about it.
Becky, are you still at Caneel? I was wonder if Caneel has standup paddle boards at Caneel Beach yet. Last year people were using the canoes to paddle board. Anything else new at Caneel. We are taking our whole family there in June and my girls are very excited about it.
lprof

Post by lprof »

ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote: Still haven't gotten to enjoy Vie's....she's never open in August when we visit. :(
Unless plans change, Vie's daughter told me in November that Vie's will be open in August, but closed in October 2013. They are also closed Sundays and Mondays.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Asolare has always been on list and we finally made it. I had let some of the reviews keep me from stopping here. The view alone will bring me back. The food was ok not the best we had but still good.
The chicken egg roll was kinda tasteless

I love rack of lamb and it was cooked perfectly but the potato was hard and when I compared to the rack of lamb at the Terrace later on trip no comparison. Terrace won hands down.

My husband had the shrimp and said it was just ok

Lava cake with raspberry ice cream was scrumptious.

View from rail at Asolare
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Diana2 wrote:
liamsaunt wrote:Sounds like you had some good meals! I agree that the langoustinos are a little pricy at La Tapa, but they are sooooo tasty. We didn't get there last week and I am a little sorry about it.
Becky, are you still at Caneel? I was wonder if Caneel has standup paddle boards at Caneel Beach yet. Last year people were using the canoes to paddle board. Anything else new at Caneel. We are taking our whole family there in June and my girls are very excited about it.
We got home last night. Trip report soon some. :D I don't want to take Cindy's thread off topic so check your pms.

Cindy, I think we were at the same table that you had at Asolare the other night. The views and the cocktails are great. Like you, I'm not huge on their food.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

liamsaunt wrote:
Diana2 wrote:
We got home last night. Trip report soon some. :D I don't want to take Cindy's thread off topic so check your pms.

Cindy, I think we were at the same table that you had at Asolare the other night. The views and the cocktails are great. Like you, I'm not huge on their food.
It does not bother me if you answer question on here. I am looking forward to your trip report.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

We ate at Sweet Plantains on our first trip and had not been back. We made it on a curry night this time. It ended up being my husbands favorite meal of the trip. I loved my spiced martini!
crabmeat with tostones

Sweet Plantains Golden West Indian Coconut Curry—SPICY-SWEET, WITH GOLDEN RAISINS, SWEET CORN & CHOPPED SCALLIONS.

Sweet Plantains Masala Spiced Red Curry—RICHLY SEASONED WITH CARAMELIZED RED ONIONS, GINGER, TOMATOES, & TOASTED SPICES. FINISHED WITH A COOL CILANTRO-GARLIC SAUCE.

We couldn't get reservations at the bar at Zozo's for my birthday so we ate at the Terrace. The rack of lamb was my favorite meal of the trip. At 43 dollars it was a little pricy but they have a very good chief. All of the flavors worked so well together and the sweet potato gratin was to die for!

Roasted Rack of Colorado Lamb red bliss potato, celery root & sweet potato gratin, mushroom ragout, port-rosemary reduction
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

Thanks for the reviews! I'm going to order a few of your favorites when we are on island. Loved Terrace as well! Where is Vie's?
CBama

Post by CBama »

all looked so good...thanks for posting....

the stuffed french toast at Donkey Diner was awesome when we were on island last summer....

we never tried Sweet Plantains, and I wish we had now......

and I can taste that Johnny Cake from Vie's.....really meant to try to make some but I haven't attempted...