Arriving during Carnival 2013 - what to expect?

Travel discussion for St. John
Rebubula

Arriving during Carnival 2013 - what to expect?

Post by Rebubula »

Greetings!

Villa, Rental Car and Flights are booked for return trip in April, woohoo!!

As I was doing some research for using Rachel for taxi this time around, I stumbled upon a carnival reference. Sure enough, it appears we arrive on start of carnival, 04/19

Anything we should anticipate or expect, we usually go in June. Guessing it will be busier since we are in April, just not sure what the carnival element will add.

Certainly want to enjoy the holidays and not rush time, but ughh NE winter, April can't come soon enough!! Any insight would be appreciated.

Debbie
GotToGetAway

Re: Arriving during Carnival 2013 - what to expect?

Post by GotToGetAway »

I have both come and gone during Carnival on STT. It is busier and there is more traffic. I would image that Rachel will be aware of the activities and locations and adjust the route to Red Hook accordingly. FYI Cost U Less closed early for Carnival this past year, which derailed my plans for stock up shopping.
Tickerless :(
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks for insight, kinda what I anticipated and agree Rachel would know best. Confirmed for me that we should take private taxi route this time.
Thanks again!
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

We are arriving on April 20th for a two stay in St John.

What can we expect? Getting our rental from Amalie, just need to get to the ferry :)
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Traffic will be worse at the start of the week than normal, but better than later in the week. You might actually want to consider coming over for the main parade towards the end of the week. Lots of food and drink is available on the street; the parade is early in the afternoon, on a road parallel to the waterfront in Charlotte. IT WILL BE LOUD. Our senses were (delightfully) assaulted with triple-long, double-decker trailers of steel drums, over the top costumes, and really tall mocko jumbies. A few photos from the 2011 Carnival follow.
Steel drums
Steel drums
Hard work
Hard work
Dressed to the nines
Dressed to the nines
Mocko jumbie
Mocko jumbie
All the best,

Kevin