The mosquito bloom has abated

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

The mosquito bloom has abated

Post by Coconuts »

The mosquito bloom reported a few weeks back seems to have abated; up here on Gifft Hill there is a nice breeze, with no mosquitoes; Cruz Bay was fine as well. I did see a few in the great room, and will spray for these. Beach check shortly. Rollicking great music last night at Sun Dog's open mic shindig. The St. John Singers hold their annual Christmas choral at the Moravian Church in Coral Bay Friday, followed by the End It Well apocalypse party at the Beach Bar. I took this sunset shot last night; two days shy of the solstice, this is about as far south as the sun sets all year. You can see Vieques long and thin on the horizon to the right of the sun.

Kevin
Sunset over Buck Island
Sunset over Buck Island
Last edited by Coconuts on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seagrape

Re: The mosquito bloom has abated

Post by seagrape »

Yeah, no mosquitos! Do you know what time the St. John Singers sing on Friday at the church? That's our arrival day and our villas is just above the church. We so love the bells and sounds of singers on Sunday mornings. Thanks.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Friday's St. John Singers concert at the Moravian Church is at 7:30 PM, and it's really wonderful, so do try and make it!

Kevin
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

Thanks for the info! If we don't make it down the hill, we'll listen to it from the porch swing. If I'm not mistaken, the singers sang at Guy Benjamin's funeral. Amazing! Maybe we'll see you there. Happy Holidays!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Vieques is that close? I had no idea.
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Lisa: Vieques is 45 miles away, but being on a hill and having the clearer days of winter (no Sahara dust) help. The other large Spanish Virgin, Culebra (35 miles away) can be seen in the notch between two hills on St. Thomas. The other day, we could even see the slopes of El Yunque on Puerto Rico, which is 65 miles away. It's 3500 feet high, but the summit is usually hidden by clouds.

Kevin
CT Beach Girls Dad

Post by CT Beach Girls Dad »

Were glad to hear there gone looking forward to Tuesday and our stay at your villa
John
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Wow...very cool. Thanks for sharing:)
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Vieques...visit if you want to see what St John was like 30 years ago: quiet, sparsely settled, still pristine. Great photo, thanks for sharing!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

I actually went there about 20 years ago...you want to talk about QUIET!!!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I spent a week in Vieques 35 years ago in our friends parents house. Beautiful place but not welcoming to blue eyed, fair skinned tourists. Never had that before. When my friend and I went out jogging, residents would not even return a smile, wave or greeting. When my hubs went out ( darker skin, dark hair) they treated him like their best friend. It was an odd trip. Never felt that on STX OR STJ. Hopefully with more tourists, they have become more accepting.