Signed up for Sailing School

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Signed up for Sailing School

Post by RickG »

I made the big step and signed up for Live Aboard Sailing Class at Rob Swain Sailing School on Tortola in January. Capt. Jay recommended this outfit, many thanks to him for the help. This is an intensive course with three written exams and practicals. The goal is to be ready to rent a live aboard sailboat in the spring.

Sweet Christine is not joining me on this one. She can't get off work in January, and she's none to pleased about it. We had originally planned on visiting Louisiana to see Cat and nothingtolose in January to celebrate my 50th. We had to push that to February because Sweet Christine's new job is busy in January. I'll still get to do a Boucherie, but will be sailing on the big 50. I'll make do... but I expect Sweet Christine to show a bit of Bitter Christine for being left behind!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Re: Signed up for Sailing School

Post by PA Girl »

Opps, I responded on the wrong thread. See my post under your trip report thread.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Enjoy, but with the ASA course you took several years ago you have more experience and better training than a lot of the credit card captains who charter in the BVI.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I see a Six Pac Captain's License in your future...We bareboated 7 years ago in the BVI and loved it...called the excusion ' Cat-N Tonic'
cat

Post by cat »

When do you plan to go with Christine? I am so jealous so I am sure she is! We love you anyway and can't wait to hear all about it in February!
RickG

Post by RickG »

sailorgirl wrote:Enjoy, but with the ASA course you took several years ago you have more experience and better training than a lot of the credit card captains who charter in the BVI.
Ha! I'm happy to be a risk taker where it makes sense. I know enough to close the hatches when under way and to point my bow into the wind in order to slow down. But, taking 40'+ of boat up to a dock? I need enough experience in order to have fun, and a class is the best way for me to do it!

Cat, I'm looking at the last week of April for our first real trip with Christine. Once I've gotten her comfortable with helping me sail we need to talk about going out together!

Cheers, Rick
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cat

Post by cat »

You are going to have a blast! I'm sure you and Christine will do great together! I agree about pulling up to a dock! That was always the hardest part about boating to me. It has been years (30+) since I have done any sailing or powerboating on my own so I would't even try now without a class!

See you in Feb!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Lucky lucky boy!!! I'm fifty .... And I need a present from you!!!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting