AT&T Go Phone

Travel discussion for St. John
jdw

AT&T Go Phone

Post by jdw »

I am thinking about buying this type of phone to use for our upcoming trip. Can someone who has used one before let me know if you are assigned a telephone number and can receive incoming calls? Also, are you able to text?

Thanks.
PatrickMcc

Re: AT&T Go Phone

Post by PatrickMcc »

We have had a GO phone for several years and used it on St John last year. We received calls from St Thomas and St John and made calls to other places on St John from St John. We didn't call or receive calls from the U. S. but I think the website or the guys at the ATT store can tell you.
I have heard that you have to be careful when making calls on St John if you are near the BVIs-you could be charged for roaming then.
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

JDW,

We've used the AT&T Go Phone on our last two STJ visits. Yes, you will receive a number for the phone. Yes, you can receive calls . . . from anywhere. Yes, you can text with it.

But you can text with your Verizon phone at no charge; it's those Verizon voice calls that add up . . . at $1.99 a minute. So we just use the Go Phone for voice calls. You're charged per month or per day, based on whatever payment plan you choose.

The only problem we've had was with the phone itself. The audio quality was sub-par and the phone didn't work well with a headset. It's probably our fault . . . we purchased the cheapest Go Phone that was available. I'm going to see if there's a better option before we return to STJ in January.

TM
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We always take a Go Phone with us to the St John and the BVIs. You are assigned a phone number when you buy the chip for it. As ToonMan said, you can text, make and receive calls. We bought a cheapo one and the sound quality is not good. We don't make many phone calls while on vacation, so it works fine for us. When we go to the beach, we put it in a plastic freezer bag (small one) and bury it in the sand under our beach blanket.
GoldenDaze

Post by GoldenDaze »

We also use the AT&T go phone while on STJ. Like the others said you get a phone #. $2.00 per day for unlimited talk & text is the plan we use. If you text a lot you may want to consider a go phone with a qwerty keyboard for easier typing. You don't need to worry about bvi charges because go phones don't roam.
Hope this helps. Enjoy.