What do you with your items when snorkeling on the beach?

Travel discussion for St. John
drd434

What do you with your items when snorkeling on the beach?

Post by drd434 »

This is my first post to the board....we are scheduled to visit St John next August and already counting down the days!

We typically go to AI resorts and are able to secure our items in our room while we are at the beach. I was curious what others do while they are at the beaches in St John while out snorkeling. I know most people are honest trustworthy individuals...but my concern is leaving personal property on the beach while snorkeling....jeep keys, small amount of money, etc....and they walk away while you are out swimming.

Any suggestions would be good....

Thanks,

~DRD
CBama

Re: What do you with your items when snorkeling on the beach

Post by CBama »

I bought a KYSS bag and locked to a tree. of course someone could just cut the bag open and take your stuff out, but would be inconvenient.
http://www.kyssbags.com/

some get waterproof bags and take with them snorkeling.

others ask someone on the beach to watch their bags for them
Pat

Post by Pat »

I too can recommend the KYSS bag. Worked great. :)
jan

Post by jan »

Check out www.vacationvault.com This little portable safe has come in very handy while on vacation. It is very durable and I would imagine that someone would have to have wirecutters on hand to get thru this thing.
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

I too recommend the KYSS Bag - works great. I just cover it up with chairs and towels so it's not so obvious.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Ask someone sitting on the beach. People ALWAYS ask me! I must look trustworthy :lol:

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

My husband has one of those cheesy little canisters that hangs around his neck. I think he got it from a water park. It's completely silly but it works. It's big enough for his keys. That's really all we bring to the beach. We lock our wallets in the glove compartment and have a waterproof camera that comes with us in the water.

I should really look into one of those lock bags though because God forbid someone take my beer while I;m snorkeling! lol!
Jenn, News of St. John
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

A system we discovered that worked best with the Kyss bag was to carry the Kyss inside the bag we normally carried to the beach, and then put the items we wanted kept safe in the bag and affix it to a tree or lounge chair.
The problem with the bag is that it is BIG. Too big to fill up and then carry over just one shoulder. If you could carry it as a backpack, it'd be fine. It was uncomfortable carrying that weight on just one shoulder.
Otherwise, we like it. We just carry it IN the beach bag, til we reach the beach ;)
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We have 2 small clear water proof pouches. (Aprox 5"x7"x1") They have straps that we either tie to our suit, our snorkle vest, or aroung our waist.(It depends on what we wear). His holds his keys, a credit card, and a few dollars, and a drivers license. Mine holds my insulin pump/blood glucose meter, test strips, lancet and candy in case of low bs. Since they are clear, it's easy to make sure they haven't leaked. All other valuables are left in the safe in the villa. These pouches are small, and just float along behind or above us. We carry the water proof camera. The only thing on the beach is our snorkle back pack that usually just has some water and emergency insulin pump supplies in it.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We bought a plastic case from Wally World for about 5 bucks...its water proof...and will hold cash cards..keys..etc..even a phone...and it fits around our wrist...so nothing to leave on the beach... They were in the camping section..and I think they were called "water proof phone case"..if memory serves me correct...cheap inexpensive way to keep things dry...and safe..:) We bought 2 but but really only needed one..:)
[/url]
GoldenDaze

Post by GoldenDaze »

Check out a pacsafe, has wire mesh and can also be locked to a tree. I like it cause it is small enough to tote around but large enough to stash your goodies. Cover it with a towel so it is not obvious.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

We usually go with a group of friends, so someone is nearby to watch stuff....
But this trip will be the first for just hubby and I....and I had the same concerns....
I bought this little case. I liked it because it won't bobble around when we are snorkeling and trying to take pics, etc..My hubby can just put it around his waist. It's big enough for the important stuff..keys, money, cell phone, credit card..Anything else of value we would leave in the villa safe...

http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-prod ... ss828.html
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

I have this system that has worked for many years, I put them in my shoes... no problems yet :wink: (shhhhh don't let everyone on to my secret) and maybe this work well for me because my shoes are usually a nasty old pair of Keens that look as if they have been to hell and back therefore NO ONE will touch them.

Seriously, I just try not to take anything of much value to the beach, as you mention car keys and a couple of dollars for the day, my biggest concern is generally my camera or phone which on a occasion I have put in a zip lock and stashed in the cooler or in the sand under my chair.
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

The water proof carriers we use are the aqua paks that were linked above, but never on the waist strap. The packs themselves work great. I'll have to check out the waist thingy.
drd434

Post by drd434 »

Thanks for all of the quick replies! It is nice to find a board where everyone genuinely wants to help!

~DRD