Identifying creatures

Travel discussion for St. John
News of St. John

Identifying creatures

Post by News of St. John »

Just curious, is there a book or anything I can buy that will identify all of the creatures that we may encounter while snorkeling? I would love to be able to identify what I see. Thank you in advance!
Jenn, News of St. John
ncsusan

Re: Identifying creatures

Post by ncsusan »

Last year our villa had a set of FishFlips. They are small cards bound together with a wrist strap. They are made to be worn right into the water while you snorkel. We loved them!
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I Googled it and found that St. John Spice sells it. I'm purchasing a set right now!
Jenn, News of St. John
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

CTBG: While it isn't waterproof or as portable as the Flip Fish cards, the book "Reef Fish Identification" (http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Fish-Identif ... 1878348302) is a great and very comprehensive guide to Caribbean reef fish. We keep a copy at Coconuts, along with its companions "Reef Coral" and "Reef Creatures", so you shouldn't be stumped during your upcoming visit.

Kevin
CT Beach Girls Dad

Post by CT Beach Girls Dad »

Thanks Kevin We cant wait to Enjoy your Villa
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

We have all three of the books that Kevin mentioned and love them. I have also recently found this website that I really like since we go carry on and cannot take all out books with us when we travel and we are finding some rather wild creatures in the recent past.
http://www.reefguide.org/carib/index1.html
Hope this helps!
Have fun exploring the underwater world!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Nice web site! It leads off with the Queen Angelfish, which is my all-time favorite. FWIW, I have had luck on the last few trips finding several of them hanging around the rocks at the east end of Maho, just as you round the point towards the Maho Campgrounds beach.

By the way, we will be on island from October 13th to the 28th; if any forum members are down then, and would like to swing by and check out the renovations at Coconuts, give us a call at 776-0158.

Kevin