1:55PM Flight Tomorrow - 11:15AM Ferry??

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

1:55PM Flight Tomorrow - 11:15AM Ferry??

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Hey, y'all!
We are wrapping up 12 GLORIOUS nights in STJ!
Stay tuned for a TR!
First, however, a quick question.
And I'm 99.999999999% sure I know the answer.
I just want confirmation / reassurance from y'all.
Our flight is scheduled to leave STT tomorrow (Thursday, August 16) at 1:55pm.
If we take the 11:15am ferry to Charlotte Amalie, that will give us plenty of time to get checked in and all that jazz, right?
Thanks, y'all! :)
Coconuts

Re: 1:55PM Flight Tomorrow - 11:15AM Ferry??

Post by Coconuts »

We tend to show up for flights with little time to spare, so this may be a biased opinion, but I think that you should be fine. You would get to the airport about ten after noon, and what with it being low season and a weekday, the odds are that the airport wouldn't be that crowded. You could also check a travel site like Expedia as if you wanted to fly around that time, to see what other flights would be leaving around then. If by chance it is crowded, it helps to let airport personnel know what flight you're on; they may roll their eyes towards the end, but will often bring groups forward. The 11:15 saved us last year, when we just missed the 11 to Redhook. We like the longer ferry, and that ride was memorable for passing by the ferry that had grounded on Great St. James (Festival 2011). Good luck!
Kevin
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

The 11:15 AM to CA doesn't always run. Be at the ferry dock 10:45 AM in case you have to take the 11:00 AM to RH. Still plenty of time to make the 1:55 PM flight. Safe trip home.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

I answered you on FB. Wanted to add to what has been said. #1 we left in the middle of the week for a 4:45 flight and the lines were out to the sidewalk just to get into the security area, #2 It would be good to check on other flights leaving at the same time, there were 3 that day at about the same time. #3 it would help to have your boarding passes printed out.
Have a safe trip!
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

We had a 4:40 flight last Wednesday and arrived at the airport at about 2:30, I think. The customs line was LONG! We didn't have much time waiting in the airport before boarding. I was amazed how busy the airport was on a Wednesday . . . in August! However, it was the last flight out of the day I was told.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

For the curious....we ended up taking the 10am ferry to Red Hook. I chickened out with the 11:15am to Charlotte Amalie. I'm much more a "better safe than sorry" kinda gal, and thought that might be cutting a little too close.
We got to the airport a little after 11. Check in at the AA counter was CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY!!!!! Luckily, the customs line only had about 5 people in front of us. That was a first! We breezed through, and just shopped at the two shops to pass time. Flight left on time (1:55), so that was great!
Trip report soon come! :D