Are you too cool for Trunk Bay?

Travel discussion for St. John
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

If I'm not mistaken we were suppose to answer the poll so I'll go with (A)
Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

I wouldn't say we're done with Trunk but it is not on my short list of Beaches We Must Visit this time. Now that my son is getting older having access to amenities isn't as important.

-Sandy (Cinnamon Bay, however will always be #1 with a bullet because of childhood memories for me)
gimpiegirl

Post by gimpiegirl »

Oh, this seriously made me laugh. Love this post!

I do love Trunk - but only venture to Trunk super early in the morning. Used to go late in the afternoon but that brings up too many memories of my great wedding but marriage gone bad ;-) It is really fun for people watching though!
gimpiegirl

Post by gimpiegirl »

I do need to add this about Trunk and my wedding though...we were married on the small beach 7 years ago in part because my ex's father was in a wheel chair and Trunk is very accessible (they have a wheel chair for you to use in the sand). The crew working at the park was wonderful, and so genuinely kind to us. Our wedding was at 5:45 and they were happy to help with the wheelchair and our wedding. I know this is off topic - but just wanted to say how wonderful they treated us!
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Trunk Diary (15 years)

1997-Friend takes water down snorkel at northern point of cay. He panics and I realize that I am way out of shape for a cross chest carry into the beach and put him up the cay, letting the waves do the work of heaving him up on the rocks. No coral was damaged in this manoeuvre. Lifeguard hauls him back on surf board.

Do not go back until

2003-Take daughter and boyfriend before sunset with a bottle of wine. No one else there but us. Wife & I stroll in one direction, daughter and boyfriend in the other. I begin laughing about how absolutely perfect the evening and surroundings are.

2004-Daughter and boyfriend are married on Trunk Bay at Sunset.

2005-Return at sunset with daughter and now son-in-law.

Do not return until

2011-Daughter and son-in-law's friends express desire to go to Trunk. We tell them "Way too crowded." They leave and early one morning on our second week we drive past Trunk and parking lot is almost empty. We stop. Have a great snorkel. See lots of fish. Leave before the crowds arrive. Apologize to daughter's friends who have returned home.

2012- Didn't wake up and get organized early enough.

As liamsaunt says Trunk is at its' best early and late.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I love Trunk Bay when it is not crowded. It is a beautiful beach. The snorkeling has gone down hill since I started coming to STJ. I have been to STJ 11 times and I still want to visit Trunk, but only in the early morning. I never tried later. That is an idea too. So NO I am NOT too good for Trunk Bay. :D
Chet

Post by Chet »

I prefer Trunkless Bay 8)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
BreakawayBarb

Trunk Bay

Post by BreakawayBarb »

We were married in Trunk Bay, but I'm not sure we will visit (other than looking at it via the overlook) on our upcoming 15th Anniversary trip for all of the reasons you and others offer up. The last couple of times we've been there it has been overcrowded and not nearly as fun for us as the many other awesome STJ beaches. :(
brenda

Post by brenda »

Although we don't make it there every trip, I am not too good for Trunk Bay. It is a simply beautiful beach!
Going "home" again October 26th!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

"Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded." Yogi Berra.

You can't add anything to a masterpiece like that.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Definitely not too cool, but we prefer beaches less crowded.

Last trip we travelled with 7 of my in-laws and hit beaches like Francis, Maho, Caneel, Vie's, etc. Then one day we took them to Trunk and my BIL was all "this is the best beach ever!!" I was taken aback that, out of all those beaches, this was their favorite. I think it helped that there were children at Trunk that their kids could play with (which isn't a consideration for us on a normal trip).

So, clearly we all love different beaches for different aspects. But no, we aren't too cool for it, just prefer it on less crowded days...

I like that they have some showers and nice (well, this is relative, as we all know) bathrooms, as well as food and drink options.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Definitely not too cool, but we prefer beaches less crowded.

Last trip we travelled with 7 of my in-laws and hit beaches like Francis, Maho, Caneel, Vie's, etc. Then one day we took them to Trunk and my BIL was all "this is the best beach ever!!" I was taken aback that, out of all those beaches, this was their favorite. I think it helped that there were children at Trunk that their kids could play with (which isn't a consideration for us on a normal trip).

So, clearly we all love different beaches for different aspects. But no, we aren't too cool for it, just prefer it on less crowded days...

I like that they have some showers and nice (well, this is relative, as we all know) bathrooms, as well as food and drink options.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Double post earlier. Not sure, why. Site was glitchy today!