I'm a bad influence or "The Tropical Adventures of El

Travel discussion for St. John
2catlimit

I'm a bad influence or "The Tropical Adventures of El

Post by 2catlimit »

Hey There,

It's been way too long since I've been able to get back to Paradise.
It's been much on my mind lately and, like we do when we miss the place we love,
I've talked about St John with people in my life who've never been there, trying to describe and convey what's so unique and wonderful about it.

Our 22 year old nephew, Jeff, more like our son, lives with us while he's in college.
I couldn't begin to tell you what an awesome young man he is. He makes us proud every day.
Considerate, honest, generous, loyal, hard working, adventurous, smart. Not to mention tall, blonde and good looking (unbiased, I am).
He has a warm, open heart that welcomes anyone and he'll "Yes, Ma'am (or Sir)" you in a heartbeat, regardless of your age.

This spring, when he was looking for a summer internship, and, in spite of knowing that it might ruin him for life,
I strongly encouraged him to apply for the Work Exchange Program at Maho Camps.
He humored me and did it half jokingly, knowing the odds of being selected were very slim.
But in the beautiful way that the world works sometimes, he got the call.
He then had to decide if he really wanted to and really was able to go.
Obviously, had be been to St John before, there would have been no need to think about it.
So he left on June 14, and is there until July 16.
I tried to equip him with basic information and sent with him my copies of "Fins, Feet, and Four Wheel Drive" and "Off the Beaten Path", but I knew that much more than that was pointless.
He needed to, and would, discover his own St John, regardless.

I spoke with him briefly his first evening there and it had been a long travel day.
Unwisely, he hadn't eaten all day and had a splitting headache. His contact person who promised to pick him up at the ferry dock didn't show.
He had eaten alone after reaching the campground and the reality of being miles away from friends and family, knowing no one, expensive taxi rides and expensive food was all getting to him.
More than once he said something about how tomorrow should be better.
He was putting on a brave face but I could tell he was feeling kind of lost and wondering, "What have I done?".
This, of course, made me think, "Oh, no! What have I done? I got him into this. He's already miserable and it's just Day One of thirty-two."

But that was just a moment of panic. Knowing him and knowing St John, I just wasn't possible for it not to click.
The next afternoon, he sent a photo from his phone taken while lying on his back which showed his legs, feet, the beach and blue ocean beyond.
It was all good.

Orientation had kept them for twenty minutes, then dismissed them for the day. He had met an older man (older than him, that is) who had done the work program four times in the past and was now there on vacation. They hit Maho, Leinster and Waterlemon and much later he was back lying on the beach at Little Maho.

In the nine days since, he's worked hard, made many friends and had all sorts of wonderful new experiences.
We've heard about hitchhiking around the island, a couple of excessive nights out in town, and a Toga Party.
He's described the amazing wildlife(as in fauna, not Toga Party, but I'm sure there was some of that kind, too.), six little deer grazing right outside his cottage, mongoose, iguanas, etc.
He and his new friends have been studying the guide books together, making "To Do" lists and he crossed off five of the ten on his list just today.
I didn't want to be tedious, holding him up on the phone too long, so I didn't find out what those ten things are, but I am curious.

Apparently one of them was hiking Ram Head which he said resulted in the most breathtaking view he had seen yet.
He and a friend set out in that direction and "got really lucky with hitches" and met some really great people.
Somewhere in their travels, they ran out of water and a family gave them a spare bottle.
They saw the family again at The Tourist Trap and were offered a ride with them up out of Coral Bay.
While letting them off at the Smoothie Truck, the children asked their father for smoothies but he didn't have his wallet.
He had refused an offer of gas money, so Jeff gladly treated them for smoothies, instead.
His grandmother would be proud.

He'll be on island for Carnival July 4th and for his 23rd birthday on July 6th.
His equally fabulous girlfriend, Khanh, is going to join him in time for his birthday and will return with him on the 16th.
Before he left, I showed him the VIOL site and told him about the forum and all of the fantastic people here if he needed help or advice.
If anyone on island happens to run into him, (I think he may have already met TouristTrap Cheryl without realizing), say, Hi!, call him "Jeffey" or "El Jefe" and he'll be surprised.
For those of you interested in following "The Tropical Adventures of El Jefe", I'll try to report any things of note that occur for the rest of his time there, and he promised tons of pictures when he gets back which I'd like to share.

Glad as I am that I instigated this incredible experience he's having, I also know that I've hooked him on an exotic, expensive habit.
Poor boy. Now he'll just have to save, wish, hope, plan and jones with the rest of us.

I unapologetically remain both a pusher and an enabler. 8)

Best wishes to all.
Kathy Henion
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Hi there!
I was just in Richmond visiting my sister. She's coming down to STJ with me for our "sister" time on July 25. I would have liked to meet up with your nephew. He sounds like a wonderful young man. Glad that he has positive vibes about our favorite place.
Wish him a Happy Birthday from the forum.

2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

Hi There Silverheels,

Sorry we missed you when you were here.
Please let me know when you're up this way again.
Maybe we could get together.
What part of Richmond does your sister live in, not that it's that big a town? You can pm if you like.
We're in the West End, actually in Henrico County, just off of I-64 at the Gaskins exit,
not far from the Short Pump mall, if any of that means anything to you.
They're loving Jeff so much at Maho that they've told him he could extend and stay on all summer if he likes.
I don't think his other obligations will allow it, but you never know.
There's an outside chance he may still be there when you go in July. :)
I'll pass on the birthday wishes.
Thanks.
Kathy Henion
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Oh... how I would loved to have had this experience when I was El Jefe's age. Nothing surprised me about the kindness he's experiencing. People are good, and sometimes they're even better when they're in paradise. Even the tinge of homesickness is not too surprising. It can be disorienting to be away from the things you know. I'm so glad the stars aligned quickly for him.

Thanks for sharing!
CinnBay

Post by CinnBay »

I am so glad your nephew is having the time of his life. And you are such a great aunt to give him a nudge to apply for the program. I live in Richmond, well Chesterfield, but close enough. My husband and I are leaving for St. John Tuesday morning. Let me know if there is anything you would like to send to him.
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

What a wonderful story! We are encouraging our daughter to do the same thing, she is only 16 though and was disappointed to find out she had to wait 2 more years. We will be there that week as well, it would be neat to meet your nephew and have our daughters hear more about what it's like to work ad live on STJ! If he needs anything let us know and we'd be happy to bring it down, we are coming from Michigan on the 1st.
[/url]
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Great story and I only wished they would let 50 year olds in that program because I think Augie and I would apply!! Your nephew sounds like a great person and if he is reading this happy birthday in advance!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Nancie-Pa

Post Subject

Post by Nancie-Pa »

I left the island June 9th after having spent 2 weeks at Maho camps. It sounds like Jeff will fit in beautifully. All the young staff were fun,polite,informative and just a delight to be around. My guess is that this will not be his last trip to St.John. :D
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.