Porter Fees at the Airport

Travel discussion for St. John
ncsusan

Post by ncsusan »

In order to use Daphne, do you need to make arrangements ahead of time or do you seek her out when you arrive at the airport? How do you get in touch with her?
Connie

Post by Connie »

When you get to the airport and ask any porter for Daphne. They'll gladly get her for you.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Pia wrote:They don't actually "cut" the line there is a dedicated line for porters only.

Pia
I finally realized this in February. We were also directed to a seperate security area, I think it was the crew line because lots of airline personel came through as we were waiting.

Daphne was handling our group of seven and two other families for a total of 15 people. She made sure everyone had their customs forms completed and passports out and ready to go (someone got scolded for having theirs in a clear plastic cover.) If nothing else, she took 15 less people away from the regular line.

My husband says he gave her $30 for our family of three (4 checked bags) and the other two couples in our party gave her $20 each.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

One of the most difficult parts of a vacation to the USVI is the leaving. It is hot at the airport, you don't want to stand in line forever, so any short cuts available I will take. I always grab a customs form on my way in, and have it filled out by the time I get to the airport. I always use a porter (like Pia syas - well worth every cent) to help with carting the bags through the endless lines and into customs. They don't by pass customs, you just get there sooner, and if there is a line there, you wait in it.

@Ron....the newbie wants to know how much cash - total - to bring, and the porter was the last on the list of cash needed items. LOL....probably will only have one bag. :lol: :lol:

@Marcia...if you wish to pay for a first class ticket on your flight down, you can board first, get a drink and even a meal....but you pay for it. I don't consider that to be "cheating" because I have to wait until they board group 7, and all of the over head space is taken up. Same with a Porter. No cheating, I just prefer to pay for "first class" at the aiport.

And SO... I'll explain everything to you in a couple of weeks!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

kingConch wrote:There is a difference. One is access to a private venue for entertainment. The other is access to a government controlled service where they can arrest you if you fail to comply.

Paying for preferential government treatment is not the same as buying a better seat at a concert. It's graft.
"Many people in the service and hospitality industry depend on tips as part of their wages. The federal government even allows those employers to pay lower than the federal minimum wage to account for tips. Don't tip other airport staff such as ticket agents and fight attendants. Those employees are paid full salaries."

It's not "graft" to tip a porter, it's a local island resident's means of making a living. When I'm on my way home from the VI, I had a good time as a guest in their "home" and far be it from me to deny the person offering to help me a little extra in his/her paycheck that week.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Does the porter actually get you to and through customs quicker?
I agree that being able to purchase a quicker way to and through customs is not fair. I don't have a "1%er" line at the DMV.
I also agree that it is an income for a resident and it would be convienent.
I do use the curbside checkin at the airport and I feel it is worth every penny I spend for it but that is the airline.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

In our experience with Daphne twice, we bypassed the ticket counter entirely. We stood off to the side of the ticket counter while Daphne printed out our boarding passes and checked luggage stickers herself. She then took our luggage to the customs luggage inspection area. We, in the mean time, went to the customs counter with our passports. Our bags were waiting for us at the luggage area once our passports were approved. I believe that's when we paid Daphne. We waited for our luggage to go through Xray and then went into the gate area. It's worth every penny to have Daphne get you through. I don't know how she manages to get everything in order faster than the airline ticket counter but she does.

To answer the question above, Daphne did not put us at the head of the line in customs. She just got us to customs ahead of everyone at the ticket counter. We still waited our turn in customs.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
BeachGirl

Post by BeachGirl »

Do you have to use Daphne or can you use any porter who is waiting at the curb?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

When we were there in February, there was definately a dedicated C & I line for "porter people" They took us all the way over to the right, openned those little stretchy bands to let us in and closed them right behind us. When we exited that line, we were sent down a hallway to a different security area, which was not any quicker, BTW. They only had one scanner going and we waited a long time. Upon exiting security, we walked into a departure lounge with bathrooms. I was never in this area of the airport before.

For anyone who hasn't used a porter before, or has a newbie coming along, prepare them for the fact they will be handing over their passport/ID and money or a credit card if they need to pay baggage fees. This did not sit well with some of our newbies in the past, they were worried about theft/credit card fraud.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I'm sitting here thinking that Daphne makes some good money. :D She's been around awhile.

It's openly allowed and that's just the way it is at the airport.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I always tip them at least $20