need advice from old forum friends!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

How ironic that you posted this as we are going through the same thing with my 15 year old daughter and my sister's daughters as well. The girls found out that One Direction will be in Michigan this summer and they are excited beyond belief! We also did not have luck with Ticketmaster this morning so we will also be trying other sites to get tickets. I'll check out ticket liquidators. Our concert is on a Friday night so we don't have to worry about missing school, but I wholeheartedly agree with all who supported you letting your daughter go. Our daughter is also in AP classes and my husband is a teacher, we believe strongly in the value of education but education is also living life, experiencing things outside of a classroom and having those 'once in a lifetime' moments. I will never forget my mom taking me out of school to see John Denver back in the 70's--I know, dating myself!--and it is a special memory for the two of us to this day. We have taken our daughter out of school for trips, etc. where she has learned so much more than she would have at a desk with a worksheet. Any good teacher realizes this as well, total learning happens inside AND outside the classroom. Wish us luck with our ticket search and hope your daughter has a wonderful time! (p.s. I have to admit I listened to the One Direction CD that my daughter left in the car and these guys are pretty good lol!)
[/url]
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

The Patriot Center has a “Quiet Room” where parents can wait and relax while their children and friends are enjoying an event. The “Quiet Room” is located by the administrative offices down below the East entry. Please call (703) 993-3000 to determine if the Quiet Room will be available for a particular event.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Got caught up in life and forgot to check back...Coco's mom-that is FABULOUS! I'm still on the fence as far as my tickets (would go with my sister-in-law) but this might be the way to go.

Thank you everyone for your support as my husband just doesn't understand! Although he did throw in some hotel miles for our room!

Tracie, hope it all works out for you!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

djmom wrote:Seems like the Patriot Center is small and she's a second degree blackbelt, so that helps...
OK... that cracked me up. Good for you for reaching this decision. This thread has me thinking about a couple concerts of my childhood. Here goes...my first was Bobby Sherman! LOL. The second one, that to this day is still the benchmark for all other concerts is Elton John's Rock of the Westies tour. 1975. Fantastic show!
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Bobby Sherman!?! Oh my, I had managed to forget all about him! (he was cute, though!) I wonder what he's doing today?
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

I remember when my older sister went to see Michael Jackson in the early '80s. She was @14-15,and when she got home, myself- as well as my other brothers&sisters, were so excited (and more than jealous) for her that she had been to that concert. She was BEAMING. I remember that she actually said to me that, "I can die,now."
She just turned 45 yesterday, 4/16.
Good choice,Mom.
Smiles-
Jimmy
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

When my daughter and I were in line to see Damien Rice, I pointed to his bus and said "if I had to be waiting for the show, I would be waiting over THERE, not here. She was maybe 17. I could just barely see her. Suddenly she was just barreling at me and collapsed into my arms, just sobbing with joy. He'd talked with her for 5-10 minutes, and thanked her for a painting she'd brought to him. Now, she's collapsed there from sadness, but that's the only time I've seen that girl blubbering and speechless with joy.
Priceless!
Every time this thread bumps, I re-live that moment. I love it.
Can't wait to hear YOUR story!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Very cool to hear your stories and encouragement! My friends think I'm crazy. I'm not usually like this, way too practical.

It's good for me :D
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

paulandtracie wrote:How ironic that you posted this as we are going through the same thing with my 15 year old daughter and my sister's daughters as well. The girls found out that One Direction will be in Michigan this summer and they are excited beyond belief! We also did not have luck with Ticketmaster this morning so we will also be trying other sites to get tickets. I'll check out ticket liquidators...
Ouch. This is a current issue for me. My friend, who is the mom of one of DD's best friends, left me some urgent messages that I didn't get until an hour later (I was in a hot yoga class- no phone.) She wanted to know how I felt about DD going to see One Direction on a school night, and tix were $220 each! She ended up buying 4 tix before I could call her back. DD and I spoke later (DD was out on a youth group retreat) and I said that if she wanted to go, she'd have to use babysitting money for most of the ticket.

DD decided that it wasn't worth it to her, even though she'll feel a bit left out. (The other girls have birthdays near the concert date and will be getting tix as gifts.) I'm glad she made that choice, but now I have to call my friend and let her know.

And, lest you think I'm a strict and stingy mom... I told the kids last night that I'm pulling them out of school for a week next year so we can all go to STJ and do 8 Tuff!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Nope, not strict and stingy. My daughter is paying for her $279 (or something like that) ticket also. Not a dime from me, although I am driving her there.

Sounds like your daughter has some sense. Good for you!

That other mom-sure it was a tough call for her to decide whether or not to get the ticket. I have NO doubt she will be able to sell it to another friend :)

Any of you with "Directioners" heard of the Onepiece jumpsuit? Tell me this isn't crazy. www.onepiece.com

Dana just bought one with the remainder of her money. She had been saving it for years and is now flat broke. This was against my wishes, what a waste, but it is her money, so I'll let her make her own mistakes. It is particularly useful in NC in the 90 degree summer weather. It arrived just in time, LOL.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Oh, that's hysterical, DJmom!!! The dumb, dumb things that someone decides are "stylish."
Do they wear these things outside of the house???
ROFL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
djmom

Post by djmom »

Amazingly stupid outfits. They want them to wear in the hotel room the night before. They said they will be wearing them to school on "pajama day". And they said they will be wearing them ALL THE TIME at home.

They are made in NORWAY for apres ski (originally). There are photos of the band wearing them quite a bit (I am sure it was an endorsement) and "supposedly" will be all the rage here one day.

Not so sure.

The ones they ordered are the ones their favorite singer wears. This is the heaviest weight. I swear you could wear it in 30 degree weather and be toasty warm. And yes, we live in NC and the average summer temp is probably 90 degrees, plus.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am now officially "old!" Not only did I need to google the band (never heard of them) I agree that those outfits are silly.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Post concert report-
First thank you to all of you for nudging me in the right direction (no pun intended!)

The girls had a ball. I endured singing and dancing all the way up to Richmond, spent the night at my brother's. Then they decorated the car in the am and we head up, music blasting, to Fairfax. Three hour hair and makeup session, they are off to the concert...had a fabulous time. The arena was small, safe, just perfect. Midnight ice cream and off they go to bed in their One Piece jumpsuits.

Next am we head back, music blasting....interrupted by two crying sessions because they "feel so close to the band" now. And "they won't see them for at least a year". And my daughter said Louis looked at her and gave her a little smile and "he knows I exist". And they can't belive how big the guys are and I am like "did you think they were two inches tall because you have only seen them on the computer?" :lol:

So I'm so glad I took them although I'm two days behind here. It's OK.

Good luck to all the rest of you with teenagers!
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

It sounds like fun and memories that will last forever! I can totally relate when I think back all those many years to the Rolling Stones and Beatles concerts I went to as a teenager! Someday Dana will be in her 50's or 60's telling other people what a great time she had when her mom took her and her girlfriends to see her hearthrobs! (silly jumpsuits & all!) :D