Inaugural Beach for a First-Timer?

Travel discussion for St. John
IndyKato

Inaugural Beach for a First-Timer?

Post by IndyKato »

STJ experts -- if this was your first visit on STJ and you were staying at Grande Bay, what would be your first go-to beach?

We are only renting a car for a few days later on in our trip (I know, I know), so we'll either be hoofing it or taking a taxi on our first full day. (My initial thought is Salomon/Honeymoon, Hawksnest, or Maho).
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

Boy, are you gonna get a lot of variation on this one. Of the bays you mention, Salomon is certainly closest, but it might be more of a hike than you want to make in your first couple of days, and Maho is pretty far out, so you might want to wait until you have a car. That leaves Hawksnest. It's a very popular beach, so the earlier you can get there, the better. It is also a very beautiful beach, with easy swimming access and good snorkeling. The coral there, as with many other places on the island, has suffered from bleaching and blight, but there are a lot of nice elkhorn stands and sea fans. we've even seen octopus close in to shore and the occasional big flounder along the sandy bottom. That said, what you've heard is true: every beach on St. John is fantastic, and if you get bored or feel crowded at one, the next one is literally only a few minutes up the road - this is especially true of Hawksnest, with Gibney/Oppenheimer right next door. You are in for a spectacular time on a true jewel of the Caribbean. Have Fun!!!
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Our first beach is always Maho. It feels the most like "home" for lack of a better word.
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Maho is always our first beach but without a car, it may be tough to get to.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Hawksnest was the first beach we ever visited in SJ and it remains our favorite. It's always our first go to beach.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
KidLiggy

Post by KidLiggy »

I'd vote Saloman if you are without car the first day, it's not a bad hike. We found it a nice way to launch our last trip as we were fresh/energized, stopped at the national park office on the way out, and the Tap Room on the way back.
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Our first trip, didn't have rental car at first. We hiked from Gallows to Salomon and Honeymoon.
Would totally recommend, it was literally breathtaking. Coming out of the trees and getting your first view of the sand and that water is something I will never forget.
We got a car later in week and hit other spots!
Whatever choice, you will love it!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

I vote for Salomon and honeymoon. I love to get to Salomon early when there is no one on the beach. Love to people watch on honeymoon. You could also walk on to Caneel and snorkel here to right. We really enjoyed that. Get a drink and or lunch and if don't feel like walking back in the heat catch a cab back.
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

Yep...as many opinions on this question as there are people on the forum I'm sure.

We're making our 3rd trip in June, and haven't yet been to Honeymoon/Salomon. While Maho is pretty far out, you can definitely take a taxi there and it has become our traditional "first beach". Here are a couple of pictures taken from that "first time" the moment we walked up and dropped our stuff. Besides, on the taxi ride out you can check out all the North Shore views.

KT
IndyKato

Post by IndyKato »

Thanks for the input, everybody!

I'm sure whatever decision we make will be the "right" one. Sounds like we really can't go wrong.

KTinTX, the pics that you posted are beautiful! I can't wait to see that beautiful water in person.

I now have questions about taxis and beach access (i.e. how not to get "stranded" somewhere.) I guess I will start another thread about that at some point.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

My suggestion for a first-time beach is Trunk Bay. It's drop-dead gorgeous even though there is a $4 entry fee. If you are totally new to the Caribbean and don't have much experience with snorkeling it can REALLY bolster your confidence to hit the other beaches during your trip. First of all, just realize that Trunk Bay is most likely going to be crowded so plan to be there before 10 AM or after about 2:30 PM. You will pay a $4 entry fee but for a first time visitor it is SO worth it. First of all, there are life guards there, so.....if your swimming or snorkeling skills are questionable you can live past the first day without drowning. Secondly, the snorkel trail will familiarize you with the corals and other organisms to watch for on the other beaches that aren't so conveniently labeled. The cay at Trunk is SO close to shore that you won't feel threatened or scared to go out there to see the sights. Hawksnest is probably the next level....again, a coral reef VERY close to the beach and very non-threatening. Then Maho is an excellent choice....just get a little more daring and follow the left shoreline all the way out to where the water starts to get rough. You will see the MOST amazing sights. My personal favorite next is Jumbie.... there is a horseshoe shape reef there for when your build up a little more courage to stay further from shore and you will NOT be disappointed! Then after that give Leinter/Waterlemon a try. That one has NEVER failed to disappoint....there are almost always turtles out in the bay if you make the walk all the way back to the sandy area (be prepared to walk almost a mile!) Be sure to stop and snorkel around some of the large rocks sticking out of the area on your left about half way to the sandy beach. There are some amazing coral formations, lobsters and fishes there! Then be brave (only if you are strong swimmers) and go around Waterlemon Cay.....AMAZING!! If you progress this far you will be able to snorkel anywhere on the island after that. I have made 5 or 6 trips so far and have only seen a fraction of the beaches and hope that I am lucky and profitable enough to see as many more as I am able. Just so you know, I am in my late 50's and not the most physically impressive specimen so if I can do this ANYONE can!
FlaGeorge

Here is one no one mentioned

Post by FlaGeorge »

Try Gibney Beach. Secluded, Palms hang over the water, white sand and history too. A small piece of land, on the far northeastern section of the beach, was sold in 1957 to J. Robert Oppenheimer, an atomic scientist and member of the Manhattan Project.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Steve S

Re: Here is one no one mentioned

Post by Steve S »

FlaGeorge wrote:Try Gibney Beach. Secluded, Palms hang over the water, white sand and history too. A small piece of land, on the far northeastern section of the beach, was sold in 1957 to J. Robert Oppenheimer, an atomic scientist and member of the Manhattan Project.
Without a car on your first day? Walk to Salomon. I agree with George that if you taxi go to Gibney because of lack of parking.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Our first beach on every trip is Trunk... ;)
conchman

Post by conchman »

Everyone has their "prefered" beach. We have to vote another one for Maho. Just far enough off the main haunts so that you won't find the hoards of cruise ship people. Right off the point on the right side it drops to the channel rather quickly so you will find loads of sea life, rays, tarpoon, sometimes even a nurse shark.

Good luck, and welcome to our addiction...
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

"If I had trouble the warranty said, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"